I'm in amplifier heaven

hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Well I am so stoked, got a call from my dad a bit ago and wanted me to meet at his house. He would not tell me why.... "just get there!", he said. I really had no idea what was up until I walked in the front door and he handed me a white box that said adcom.
All I could do was just stand there with my jaw in the floor, I said "whats this for?" and his reply was that it was for my birthday and he just couldn't stand it any longer and just had to go ahead and give it to me.

So my early bday from mom and dad was an adcom gfa 545 II, I am so beside myself right now that I cannot even begin to explain. I have never had a highend amp before and have some things to do before I get it connected. I will try to get things going soon and post some thoughts after I have had enough time to give it a good listen. Boy the 15's won't know what they have been hit with, I bet the improvement will be awsome.

Cheers,
Mike
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    Happy Birthday and congrats Mike.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited March 2004
    That is a great amp man! Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    HWM,
    Happy Bday and Congrats!!!

That is a nice amplifier. I'm sure the tunes will be flowing quite nicely later on today!

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Congrats and happy B-day! Let us know how the Adcom sounds with your 15's.

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2004
    Have a great day and enjoy :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2004
    I'd say somebody owes dad a hellavah fathers day gift! :D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2004
    hotwheel...what's this replacing in your system?
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2004
    Do you know how many times you have to cut the grass now?? ALOT!!!:D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Now that you have the 15's and the adcom it will only be a small stretch to make sure you have good interconnects and speaker wire... I see a true audiophile system growing quickly!!!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

nice amp.. you'll love it.

and you ARE talking.. LSi15's right? not R15's? ;)

Mike how old are you now?

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • VR3
    edited March 2004
    Make sure you keep the Adcom out an enclosed space, they do get hot.

FWIW

If you are running it on a LSi15, PLEASE tell me your impressions!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • hotwheelman
    edited March 2004
    All I can say right now with my initial impressions is...HOLY ****!
    I new not what I was missing in the music...of course these are just first impressions and the longer sessions await.

Dragon, not replacing just adding on, I have a denon receiver and have the capability to cut off the internal amp and drive an external with it.

Danger, my mains are the rta 15tl's, my age is 37 but you may as well call me a kid the way I am with audio gear. Sid, wish they were lsi's, hoping to score some of those in the future.

Madmax, I am using the monster cable interlink 300 mkII for interconnect ( I used to work for lowes and picked them up on closeout for 6 bucks a pair),and monster speaker cable that I picked up from doro...can't remember what the model # is.

Wish I could afford some signal cable or possibly some kimber but I guess that is in the future. Oh yeah, I am currently running one with an sl3000 and one with a first gen tweeter from my 7b's, I need to score a 3000 in a bad way now, but still the difference is flat out effin amazing. I should mention also that you could eat off of the adcom, it is that clean and absolutly no marks of any kind anywhere.

I guess what blows my mind is dad has only ever bought me one other component and that was when I graduated from high school, got me jvc 45 watt per receiver and ran my kg2's with it and it sounded pretty damn good running the klipsch and that would have been due to their high efficiency rating.

Thanks to all for the birthday wishes, nice to have so many friends even if we are separated by so many miles.

Cheers,
    Mike
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited March 2004
    Hey Mike, Happy Birthday!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Well one thing's for sure... your Dad's taste in audio has improved...

Congrats and Happy Birthday.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • hotwheelman
    edited March 2004
    Still have not been by to raid the boxes that await me, will report any diamonds that I find. Maybe there is a dyna tube amp and pre in there somewhere, talk about someone crappin in their pants if there is.:D
  • Gary Robertson
    Gary Robertson Posts: 201
    edited March 2004
    I bought a brand new gfa-545II back in 1995 and i still love and totally respect the dang thing.. Even when i hook it up to my Martin Logan Prodigys (electrostatics) it hangs in there with the best--it is "NOT" embarrased by the Big Bryston (seriously) The adcom was dsigned by Nelson Pass--if you ever heard a Pass amp you'd be blown away,,especially the aleph series.. Most of the same parts go into the adcom--
    The huge toroidal transformer and the polypropyline capacitors and roderstein metal film resistors and the liminatin of coupling capaciters--oh i could go on and on but you get the picture--also
    and this is "NOT" a joke GFA really stands for Great **** Amp...
    System #2
    Yamaha cdc-755,(20 bit DAC )
    Yamaha KX W382 cassette deck,
    ADCOM GFA-545-II.ampfilier,,
    ADCOM GFP-450 Preamp ,,BBE audio Restoration System (ARS)--Monster--M850I Innerconects and Monster 14 gauge speaker cable and the Fabulous POLK RT-7's with a Velodyne 12/15 subwoofer system ....she rocks.........
    System #1:
    Meridian 508-24 cd.(20 bit DAC)
    Adcom -Gfp 750 preamp,
    Bryston 14b-sst amplifier,
    Martin Logan Prodigy Electrostatc speakers.and Acoustic Zen Silver Reference II innerconnects (rca) with Acoustic Zen Satori Shotgun speaker cable.
    ............................. "Jazz is democracy in music".
  • VR3
    edited March 2004
    Man! I need to contact Justin.....

I want that to be my Signature.......but I am sure someone will be offended!

LMAO! That is great! Thanks for the laugh, and it is true! LOL!
  • hotwheelman
    edited March 2004
    Gary, yes I have heard of nelson pass amps, was not aware that he lent himself to the design of the adcom. Very cool info, watched nemo with the 4 yr old today and was just astounded at how much better my bottom end is with it, we were shakin the couch and the denon had not been able to that on its own. The adcom wasn't even breakin a sweat and we were at a pretty decent tilt, but not loud enough to hurt the little ones ears.