Interesting observation...

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Since I've been "preamp-less" for the last five days, I decided to run my CEC CD3300 directly into my Parasound HCA-1500A. I found out some interesting things thru my week of listening this way, so I thought I'd share...

First off, I did notice what some active preamp "proponents" say about getting more impact/punch with an active pre in the audio chain. The music does seem the slightest bit lean running straight into the amp, but almost in a natural way. Lemme try to explain; not having a preamp in the chain does seem to give (I keep saying "seem" because this is such a subjective thing) the music a very airy, easy way about it
a pureness. Almost as if all of us are so used to a preamp stage, that maybe what we label as punch/impact is really coloration of the real thing?

I don't know. What I DO know, is I like my music to have impact and punch, real or not. To me, it gives a realism to the experience that we know should be there; excitement if you will.

Bottom line...I LIKE an active preamp in the chain. What about you?
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I aggree with everything you said as far as some sources go. It depends a lot on the output stage of the source though. My old sony CD player was like you explained but my luxman is not. It has that same punch as an active preamp. I guess it is all in the circuitry!
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    That's a point I hadn't considered. I would imagine the CEC has a very good line level gain stage though...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Steve is the volume control int the 1500 active or passive?

I have no experience with volume control in an amp so I'm just trying to get my arms around this.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    the HCA-1500 has 2 volume controls on the rear, L&R. I don't think in the strictest of terms you call them "active" the knobs just attenuate the output of your source.

An active preamp has a "gain" circuit; a passive preamp is simply a volume knob with no additional amplification.
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I thought it would be passive in which I have zero experience. My thoughts would be for a passive stage to work real well the source must provide the voltage to hit max power on the amp then attenuation would work real well. For instance my Audio Research DAC5 and Cal Audio both put out 2V which typically should be fine.

I actually like the thought of passive preamps.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I like the punch too. Dynamics make music sound more realistic.

I'm guessing your sound isn't as dynamic because the amp is asking for more input juice.

Maurice
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I didn't have any problems with the input voltage, I could hardly turn the amps volume controls to halfway without getting chased out of the room; but I'm speaking more in terms of a lack of slam when running without an active preamp. The cd player had plenty of output to drive the amp...
  • HBombToo
    edited March 2004
    Options
    hmmmm.... I wonder if it has to do with an impedance mismatch between the source and amp input? This is very interesting.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***