POLK RTi12 or Monitor 70 series II ?

Options
Both on sale...the RTi12 is more but I like them better. Are they worth it ? cause I can get over the looks if it makes no real difference in sound. I have read they both really shine with a strong external amp. I plan on that. I will be running them on a vintage Pioneer 9500ii at first. no movie theatre nonsense for me..lol...all music.

so is the 12 worth it ?

Comments

• gentlejax
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    I would suggest that the Monitor 70 series II would be a better match with the Pioneer 9500ii.
    The RTi12 is better suited to home theater listening and a higher power amplifier.

I will be running a higher power amp in future. Just trying to take advantage of sale price now...its that time of year
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    The RT12'S are the better speaker....period, and yes they are worth it over the M70's. However they are more geared to the HT environment but that doesn't mean you can't use them for music also. A good amp is needed on those though.

If you like a speaker with a more music first presentation, in the Polk line-up, the LSI or LSIM line is where you want to be. Vintage Polks is another story.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gentlejax
    Options
    im on a budget. these are more a gift to myself. new speakers which I havnt had in a long time. I have some klipsch and a pair of B&W towers but I got them 2nd hand.
    Im just wanting to possibly switch them all out for same brand model and be uniform.
  • gentlejax
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    What are the Klipsch and B&W models? You may be taking a step backwards depending on the model. There is nothing wrong with second hand as long as the item is in good shape.

Klipsch SF-2 B&W DM580
  • gentlejax
    Options
    maybe I just need to add a polk sub psw505. my towers sound good. I just thought I would get all matching for once in stead of mixed
  • jwb0007
    jwb0007 Posts: 62
    edited November 2015
    Options
    gentlejax (and others),

I have a pair of RTi12s as my mains (replacing a pair of Klipsch KLF-30s). FYI, they currently are on sale for $249.99 each at a major website, brand new. I also have an Infinity C360 (3-way center), and Infinity Beta 50s as my surrounds (purchased used). I mention this so that there is the perspective of large ("power-hungry") Polks, and the Infinity speakers also with sensitivity ratings of about 90-91 themselves--all being powered by my Yamaha RX-A2030 AVR--supposedly 140wpc.

Superbly powered, both quality of sound (to me) and volume. NO ISSUES of any kind--except that they are upstairs in my 7000 ft3 great room/dining area/adjoining kitchen with cathedral ceilings, and I am down here in my home office in the basement. Not only "no issues", but sound absolutely wonderful to these ears.

I understand that many people will say that "power-hungry" speakers such as mine need a separate amp. Perhaps so, but not that I have noticed. It may be that you can spare yourself that additional expense.

So, gentlejax, you may have more options than you think/often will hear.

P.S. Forgot to mention that I am familiar with the 70s and 60s also. Fine speakers, but, in my opinion, not in the same class as the RTi12, for reasons of # of woofers, cumulative size of woofers, and the resonance created by the significantly larger cabinet volume of the 12 vs the 70s.
    Jim
    St. Louis, MO

AVRs: Yamaha RX-A2030, Onkyo TX-NR646
    Speakers: BIC FH6-LCR x 3, BIC FH-65B x 2, Polk RTi6 x 2, Infinity Primus P362, Klipsch KSF-C5
    Subs: Polk PSW505 x 2, Polk PSW10, Klipsch Synergy Sub-10
  • fastmatt
    Options
    I have rti a9s not 12ss, but fairly similar. I also have 4 monitor 70 series II. The monitors sound almost as good as the a9s ( run on a emotiva xpr2), but I use all 4 of the monitors ( run on a yamaha 667 avr) as the front right and left. I think 2 12s would sound about as good as 4 70s. So there is a price difference, 12s now being a better value. An amp will be needed though so then the monitors would be a better value as 4 sound good with just my avr. But if you plan to upgrade to an amp down the road, I believe you will be happier with the 12s.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    fastmatt wrote: »
    I have rti a9s not 12ss, but fairly similar. I also have 4 monitor 70 series II. The monitors sound almost as good as the a9s ( run on a emotiva xpr2), but I use all 4 of the monitors ( run on a yamaha 667 avr) as the front right and left. I think 2 12s would sound about as good as 4 70s.
    Four towers run off a receiver as front left and right sounds like a hot mess. Where are the 12s in this system, or are they part of another system? Just curious.

• gentlejax
    Options
    I bought the 70's and used them for a while. then locally ran across a set of RTiA9's so I bought them and sold the 70's. with power these RTiA9's are hard to beat. granted I didnt pay full price. I almost sold them RTiA9's but then what would I have replaced them with? for how much more ? for how much improvement?

I Am about to pick up a pair of RT2000i local and run both pair!!!
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    You might consider TSi 500s if music first. If you decide to employ HT down the road, they will do fine as double duty.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,159
    Options
    I had a similar experience with my M70's as did Fastmat, when I sold my M70's after upgrading to A9's, I demoed the M70's on my XPA-2. I had previously ran the M70's with an XPA-3. The extra headroom from the XPA-2 got those M70's singing quite good, I was amazed for the first time with those speakers, Pink Floyd, Lynard Skynard
    the "kill Box" scene from Iron Man II and without my subs so the M70's could speak for themselves…...it was the first time I heard the M70's put out bass like that.

Well, I told the kid I hadn't hear my M70's with power behind them like that and was now hesitant to sell (I was actually serious) and he quickly bought them for my asking price with no haggling......however, my A9's did a better job in both H.T. and 2ch.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display, 2 channel speaker cable: Furutech FS Alpha 36 12AWG PCOCC Single Crystal (Douglas Connection)

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • gentlejax
    Options
    the only reason I am thinking about the RT2000i's is because he is local. its not at all like I think those are the best option.

But thinking about it , I dont really need them either. I should just save the money and maybe bi-amp my A9's