B&K ST2140 w/ SDA 1C

Options
Been looking at using a B&K ST2140(140 watts per channel into 8Ω) to power my 1C's. I listen at respectable volume in a medium sized space. Right now I am using an Emotiva XPA-2(300 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohm) but there seems to be no love for their gear and B&K has been mentioned more than a few times. Of course I would love to get my hands on a Parasound A21 but unfortunately my boss refuses to give me more money. Greedy **** :) Any thoughts gents?
Polk SDA 1C Upgraded, Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC, Parasound HCA 1200ii, Belles 21a Preamp, Rotel RSX-1056, Matricom G Box Q, Blue Jean & Signal Cable interconnects, Sonographe SG-3 TT, Panamax M4300-PM

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Just curious if the Emotiva is to your liking, aside what other folks think about it. Have you thought about tube amps?
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • sfosselman
    Options
    The Emotiva amp has plenty of power, good sound stage, but can sound a bit harsh as times...I am in the process of upgrading tweeters which should smooth out the high end. I have used tubes in the past with a pair of Klipsch with good results but I still prefer solid state due to the fact I am 50/50 music and movies. Maybe in the future I could do a tube pre with SS amp but that is a whole animal I don't wish to wrestle with right now. The SDA rabbit hole is plenty deep enough to keep me occupied
    Polk SDA 1C Upgraded, Eastern Electric Minimax Supreme DAC, Parasound HCA 1200ii, Belles 21a Preamp, Rotel RSX-1056, Matricom G Box Q, Blue Jean & Signal Cable interconnects, Sonographe SG-3 TT, Panamax M4300-PM
  • sfosselman
    Options
    Also have a good lead on a McCormack DNA-.5..Do you think that will be enough power for the large SDA's?
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    The McCormack would be my choice.I'm running that amp with fully modded 2.3tl's and it is wonderful.More than enough power.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Agree - I have run my 1c's with a B&K ST1400II and a McCormack DNA-1, the B&K was just too warm for my tastes, and didn't feel like it could really control the 1c's, the McCormack has power, detail and control in spades.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,053
    Options
    I have a 2140 and I like the sound of it on my Concert Grands and stacked Mac ML1C's. I never tried it on my sda's as I just don't think it would do them justice. I'm thinking you'd be disappointed going from your 300 wpc Emo to the 140 wpc B&K. Emo's do get a bad rap but my Emo ERC 3 cd player has sent a handful of what should be better sounding cd players packing. Who cares about the bad rap unless you're trying to impress someone or something other than your own ears
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I like the ERC 3 as well (sans quirks)
    I haven't listened to all Emo amps, but the ones I have
    lose on detail and harshness at high levels vs BK.
    Just sayin' don't think this is furthering the OP's question
    much. Get a 2220 or a 4430 if you can't get a McCormack.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I Get a b&k 2220 or a 4430 if you can't get a McCormack.

This ^^^^ or a Parasound 1200 or 1500.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    The 4430 is a 3 channel amp, I think you mean the 4420?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    No, the 4430. I noticed a little hum pickup from the right channel next to the power source. With the three channel you could move it father away from the power...
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

pm sent
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

tonyb, I'd have to agree, the 1200II has zero issues handling a pair of 4 ohm SDAs. It's scary good to be honest with the old girls.

Yep, that's the one piece that set you on the path to become the monster that you are. :) ....a slightly more broke monster at that. lol

Yet all amps sound the same and receivers are good enough for most home applications according to some.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,765
    Options
    I was using a B&K ST 202 with my 2B then went to the 200.2, the difference was dramatic. The 200.2 has not only more watts, but more current which is a huge factor.

I was looking at some 1C's also in the beginning but the 2B's came along at the right price, also the amp requirements for the 1C if I'm not mistaken are about double that of the 1C.

I would strongly suggest replacing the tweeters first, my SL2000 to the 198 swap was the single greatest change I made next to all fresh caps.

I wouldn't try chasing a harsh sounding speaker with different amps until you get the new tweeters installed.

Amps with alot of current are what you need.
  • sfosselman
    Options
    I agree...new tweeters have arrived and I'm just waiting for my upgraded crossovers to finish my 1C upgrades :) Right now it looks like I’m deciding between the Parasound HCA 1200 II and the McCormick DNA .5. I realize the McCormick would be the superior amp but it seems that the Parasound has good synergy with the Polks.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'd take the McCormack over B&K or Parasound. IIRC you can even send them to Steve McCormack to have them upgraded. I own a B&K because it was cheap.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sfosselman
    Options
    Well I decided to save some money and buy the Parasound HCA-1200 II. I will still be on the look out for a McCormick Deluxe .5 if anyone has a lead but I think this will be a god match for the 1C's
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I still use that amp with my other Sda's and they are a great match. Congrats on the Parasound.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • sfosselman
    Options
    Thanks dkfreebird
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    If you can,get you a tube preamp and you will be set.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• sfosselman
    Options
    Any flavor in particular I should be on the look out for?
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    I'm running a Dared Sl 2000a.It is a nice entry level pre and you can roll different tubes to get the sound you like.I've learned lot from the folks on here and it just keeps getting better.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• sfosselman
    Options
    Thanks for the help
  • dkfreebird
    Options
    Sorry just read one of your previous post about using tubes before and using half and half music and movies.I'm running two different systems.
    2 Channel
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC

• sfosselman
    Options
    Its all good...I may just experiment with tubes in the future
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,839
    Options
    A very nice tube pre for not much, a used VTL 2.5. You can thank me later. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    A very nice tube pre for not much, a used VTL 2.5. You can thank me later. B)

Looks to be in good condition
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/401026610196?rmvSB=true
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • F1nut
    Options
    26 bids with 9 days left.....idiots.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sfosselman
    Options
    That looks like it could get pricey.
  • F1nut
    Options
    They usually sell in the $800 to $1200 range used depending on age and condition. I believe it is still a current product.

President of Club Polk

• sfosselman
    Options
    I'll keep an eye on it...thanks ;)