Amps and Receiver

Need some help. Here is what I have. RTIA9's, CSIA6, Fxia6 surrounds and a SVS pb12 plus sub. I was thinking of running a Emotive XP2 for the fronts and Emotive XPA3 for the center and rears but I see many say these amps are bright for music. Any other suggestions for amps and receiver would be helpful. Thanks Fellas

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    What AVR are you running?
  • Could be too bright, depending on the acoustics of the room. If you have a live room with tile floors or a vaulted ceiling, then it's gonna be too bright. I would consider a multichannel amp from B&k, Outlaw, or Parasound if I were you, just to be safe.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • What AVR are you running?

Undecided as of yet.
  • slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Another amp to think about is from Sunfire. Also, since you will be using separate power amps, have you considered a surround sound preamp? I used to use a Pioneer Elite AVR as my preamp but I currently use a Marantz AV7702 surround sound preamp. Took my system up a couple of notches.
  • slbenz wrote: »
    Another amp to think about is from Sunfire. Also, since you will be using separate power amps, have you considered a surround sound preamp? I used to use a Pioneer Elite AVR as my preamp but I currently use a Marantz AV7702 surround sound preamp. Took my system up a couple of notches.

I have not, what kind of power should I be looking at something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfire-Cinema-Grand-Signature-400-W-5-CHANNEL-AMP-/262136047030?hash=item3d0886a5b6:g:1N0AAOSwo0JWQSgU I was looking at this receiver as well http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7007/marantz-sr7007-7.2-125wpc-4k-airplay-a/v-receiver/1.html what do you guys think? thanks fellas.

• fmw
    fmw Posts: 90
    It isn't likely that the amps would have anything to do with "brightness." Virtually all of them have an audibly flat frequency response. That sort of thing comes mostly from the room calibration software in the processor. If you want to reduce brightness just adjust the low treble down about 3 db or so. That should do it.
  • fmw
    03SONIC wrote: »
    what do you guys think? thanks fellas.

I think it is probably a fairly trivial choice. Most home audio installations never dissipate more than about 20 watts per channel with subs in use. If you are one of those who listen very loudly then anything in the 80 to 100 watts per channel is way more than enough.

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    The benefit of having a powerful amp drive your speakers has nothing to do with volume and everything to do with sound quality and ensuring that your speakers are operating to their full potential, and the vast majority of todays receivers just cannot accomplish that.

If that Marantz has all the bells and whistles that you want it to have, get it. Then look on Audiogon or other venues for Sunfire, Rotel, B&K, Nad, Outlaw amps. That Sunfire will keep your current speakers and any other speakers you buy in the future running quite happily for years.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    fmw wrote: »
    It isn't likely that the amps would have anything to do with "brightness." Virtually all of them have an audibly flat frequency response. That sort of thing comes mostly from the room calibration software in the processor. If you want to reduce brightness just adjust the low treble down about 3 db or so. That should do it.

Wow, how many different amps have you heard? Either you're inexperienced or a troll.
  • fmw
    cfrizz wrote: »
    The benefit of having a powerful amp drive your speakers has nothing to do with volume and everything to do with sound quality and ensuring that your speakers are operating to their full potential, and the vast majority of todays receivers just cannot accomplish that.

Actually they can in the vast majority of home audio cases. There is a strange belief among audiophiles that unused overhead is something more than unused overhead. But it isn't. It is simply unused. As long as an amplifier is not clipping, it is driving the speakers to the indicated volume level regardless of how much power dissipation capacity it has. A 50 watt amplifier dissipating 20 watts will drive speakers just as well as a 200 watt amplifier dissipating 20 watts.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Actually they can in the vast majority of home audio cases. There is a strange belief among audiophiles that unused overhead is something more than unused overhead. But it isn't. It is simply unused. As long as an amplifier is not clipping, it is driving the speakers to the indicated volume level regardless of how much power dissipation capacity it has. A 50 watt amplifier dissipating 20 watts will drive speakers just as well as a 200 watt amplifier dissipating 20 watts.

ACTUALLY.....your wrong, again.

Must be comforting to know....

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited November 2015
    "fmw wrote: »

If this is true then I think I will sell my 600 watt mono blocks since I rarely have them pushed to the limit. What was I thinking when I purchased them? Sure could have saved some cash.....

Wow!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • fmw
    tonyb wrote: »

ACTUALLY.....your wrong, again.

Must be comforting to know....

So you think unused power dissipation capacity has an effect on sonics? I would truly love to read your explanation for that since it flies in the face of the laws of physics.
  • fmw
    tratliff wrote: »
    "fmw wrote: »

If this is true then I think I will sell my 600 watt mono blocks since I rarely have them pushed to the limited. What was I thinking when I purchased them? Sure could have saved some cash.....

Wow!

I have no idea what you were thinking when you bought them. You should do whatever makes you happy. If you like the amps then keep them. If not then sell them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    03SONIC, please ignore fmw as he is a troll.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• fmw
    I simply responded to a post
    F1nut wrote: »
    03SONIC, please ignore fmw as he is a troll.

It would be a treat if you would follow your own advice.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    [/quote]

If you are one of those who listen very loudly then anything in the 80 to 100 watts per channel is way more than enough.

[/quote]

This is probably the worst advice I've seen on this forum. Have you tried 03Sonic's RTI A9's with various AVR's and power amps. I have had the A9's for 3 years and still have them. I started with an AVR and then moved up to different amps.

I agree with F1, "03SONIC, please ignore fmw as he is a troll."
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Seriously? Here we go again. Go back to avs man. Stop polluting threads.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    03SONIC wrote: »
    slbenz wrote: »

I have not, what kind of power should I be looking at something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sunfire-Cinema-Grand-Signature-400-W-5-CHANNEL-AMP-/262136047030?hash=item3d0886a5b6:g:1N0AAOSwo0JWQSgU I was looking at this receiver as well http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/marsr7007/marantz-sr7007-7.2-125wpc-4k-airplay-a/v-receiver/1.html what do you guys think? thanks fellas.

I use a newer Sunfire tga7401. It will run any speaker with ease. I ran a full 7 channel theater with 4 ohm lsi speakers and barely broke a sweat. That amp would be good for many years of enjoyment. I also use a marantz, in my opinion they are a very nice combo.

When I bought my Sunfire I used it to power rtia9, csia6, fxia4, and rtia3. And really enjoyed it before moving on to lsi speakers. You will notice a marked improvement with the marantz/Sunfire combo. Love the added features of the marantz and it is so easy to use and set up.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It would be a treat if you would follow your own advice.

And risk that someone might buy what you're selling? Nah, isn't going to happen sport.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    It should read, If you are one of those who listen low-med volume, 80db or less then anything in the 80 to 100 watts per channel is merely okay
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • fmw
    xcapri79 wrote: »

Actually they can in the vast majority of home audio cases. ... As long as an amplifier is not clipping, it is driving the speakers to the indicated volume level regardless of how much power dissipation capacity it has. A 50 watt amplifier dissipating 20 watts will drive speakers just as well as a 200 watt amplifier dissipating 20 watts.
    This blanket statement is simply not so for so many cases because it represents an extreme simplification of amplifier performance. The concept that all audio watts are not the same essentially covers this.

OK, we are disagreeing on numbers. No question that some home audio systems need more power than a receiver can provide but I'll stick with my "vast majority" comment. In my view all watts with inaudible variance from flat frequency response, inaudible noise and inaudible distortion are exactly the same.
    Amplifiers have different engineered designs and provide different technical results. Some may be similar but many are quite different. No design is perfect and there are tradeoffs made with every design.

Sure. Many tube amps, for instance, have audible harmonic distortion. I have a an amp that has an audible bass boost. But these things are in a small minority. Most modern solid state amps perform transparently. That is a good thing.
    Speakers represent a complex load with varying impedance over the audio frequency range. Audio output from an amplifier represents a complex source that is influenced by the source input ahead of it, the design of the amplifier, and the speaker load.

Yes but our tests showed that these issues weren't audible with good quality solid state amps.
    As cfrizz notes, audio sound quality differs between different amplifiers. Gain, audio fidelity, linearity, fast transient response, frequency response, impedance response, phase coherence, a minimization of distortion and noise, etc. are characteristics of the changing current and voltage (watts) of amplifier output.

Yes if those parameters are in the audible range. Obviously not if they aren't.
    How these characteristics are treated by a given amplifier design are among the factors that distinguish the performance of one amplifier from another.

And fortunately most amplifiers are free of signature sonics. Most of them are quite transparent these days.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Once more fmw's lack of intelligence and experience shows glaringly. But thank you for continuing to confirm that you are merely here to be a worthless troll.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    [/quote]And fortunately most amplifiers are free of signature sonics. Most of them are quite transparent these days.[/quote]

Please list the amps that back up this theory. Please include any white papers and testing.

Thanks

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • fmw
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    And fortunately most amplifiers are free of signature sonics. Most of them are quite transparent these days.[/quote]

Please list the amps that back up this theory. Please include any white papers and testing.

Thanks

[/quote]

Request denied. I have no interest in converting you to anything.

• txcoastal1
    edited November 2015
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    And fortunately most amplifiers are free of signature sonics. Most of them are quite transparent these days.

Thanks

[/quote]

Request denied. I have no interest in converting you to anything.

[/quote]

Wasn't asking you to be converted just wanted examples. I thought these examples may help these others that "you feel" needed help as you have stated that was reasoning for your posts.

If you can't provide this information I feel your statements are just hearsay to these others that are inquiring for this information.

You are starting to sound a little "thin skinned"
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• fmw
    I'm not thin skinned at all. I just don't care about your opinion in the same way you don't care about mine.
  • txcoastal1
    But I am "just trying to help others"

• fmw
    By all means, help others.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    He was mocking you, Troll. Clearly sarcasm is lost on you.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip