Pass Labs Aleph 30 power amplifier

Options
Very rare for sale Pass Labs Aleph 30 power amplifier. Sweet sounding amp. Good condition, couple of scratches on the top from stacking. One ding on lower right corner. Have paperwork from when Pass checked the amp out. Used it for years on the SDA 2.3 speakers. Works great, sounds great, 15wna9re302j.jpg
g2heijue6g7i.jpg
efepc5hjzijp.jpg
1xa09whi7jzx.jpg
XLR and SE (rca) connections. $1000 plus shipping.
Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    One of those "must own" amps and at a great price. If I hadn't just bought a house, I would be all over this one.
    Serious class A goodness here folks and can double as a hot plate if needed!
    GLWS!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is "the" amp to get your feet wet as to what is so special about Nelson Pass designs. It's a room heater so keep that in mind.

30wpc is more than enough for a typical music space. This has gobs of reserve and I have yet to find it's limits with my SDA 1C's (my listening space is on the small side). These don't come up for sale too often as people tend to keep them. I would only part with mine to buy a newer Pass or First Watt amp.

Link to the owners manual which is a great read about the philosophy of the design and what it's all about.

https://passlabs.com/images/uploads/manual/a30manr0.pdf

And Dick Olsher's review.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0701/volksamp.htm

GLWS. This amp comes highly, highly recommended unless you have a very large room you are trying to fill.

H9

P.s. This is a hand assembled amp and all gain devices are matched in the circuit for lowest noise and distortion. You won't get that with a typical "mass produced" piece of gear.
    Post edited by heiney9 on
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    edited November 2015
    Options
    NM........I was able to edit my above post.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    Options
    Here's an innard picture from the net

633067-pass_labs_aleph_30.jpg
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Dayum!!!...............I really want to buy this amp! Truth is I am very happy with my McCormack DNA-1 .....but I had always wanted to try one of these
    (thanks mainly due to H9's constant praise of the dang thing)
    They dont come available all that often

Thinkin out loud "dont really know what I should do" the funds are getting low!
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have it here at the polk prefered price. This is the real deal for hifi at a real deal.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Buy from Jeff with confidence and don't worry about shipping, the man knows how to pack gear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dhart86
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Buy from Jeff with confidence and don't worry about shipping, the man knows how to pack gear.

I have No doubts

Why would this amp be a step up from my McCormack?
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    dhart86 wrote: »
    Why would this amp be a step up from my McCormack?
    What room size and speakers?
    If not a large room and not inefficient speakers, yes, IMO, the Pass is much better. In my large den, the DNA provided good detail, dynamics, and remarkable width. But it is bested by the class A purity of the Pass in my smallish living room (10x15x9)
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • dhart86
    Options
    VC....thanks for the input. My room is a finished basement and configured with different recesses and crannies. An overall general measurement of thee room would be approx 25x22x8.

What are your thoughts with the Pass amp and my room?
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    Can this be bridged and used as a mono amp?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • heiney9
    Options
    GlennDog wrote: »
    Can this be bridged and used as a mono amp?

No. They make an Aleph 60 which is a mono block of the Aleph 30, but they are super rare. I've only seen one pair for sale in the past 7-10 years.

H9

• GlennDog
    Options
    If the speakers were bi-wire, what would be the benefit of running 2 Aleph 30s in vertical or horizontal config?
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • vcwatkins
    edited November 2015
    Options
    dhart86 wrote: »
    VC....thanks for the input. My room is a finished basement and configured with different recesses and crannies. An overall general measurement of thee room would be approx 25x22x8.

What are your thoughts with the Pass amp and my room?
    Hard for me to predict, but, if I had to guess, I'd say you'd be good. One thing to keep in mind is the demand for the Pass is great enough that, if it doesn't work out, you'll be able to recoup the cost.

I measured my living room and it is actually 14x19 including foyer, and there are 12' rooms on either end of the LR and the openings between rooms are ~7' and 9'. So, altogether, that's about 14x43x9, or 5400cf compared with your 4400. There's lots of upholstered furniture and nooks and crannies in all 3 rooms. The speakers sit 4' out from the 19' wall, 8' apart, and 8' to listening position. So the listening area is shallow and very wide. In this room, the Pass was significantly better than the the DNA with: 87db Usher 6311, 88db 703, and 86db Revel Performa M22. I have only jacked the Ushers to 97ish spl a few times and the Pass was not strained. I haven't tried it with SDA's in this room.

The den is another story. It's maybe 22x30 with vaulted ceiling, right side open to kitchen, tongue in groove paneling, large uncovered glass sections to left and rear. Only treatments are 2x4 panels behind front and rear speakers. It's been a bear to fill this untreated room with sound, especially adequate bass. The best speakers have been big boys - SRS2 and currently the 91db SRS1.2. The best amp has been the Sunfire Sig II (625x2@8), but the DNA was very close. The Pass just didn't seem to have quite enough steam to fill the room.

Here are pics to give you an idea of the spaces. First is LR while testing the Ushers and the second is the den also in transition.

Hope this is helpful,
    Craig
    waueun6n8hq9.jpg32tr4ipqlwpc.jpg

Post edited by vcwatkins on
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    That is one classy looking home you have there.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • vcwatkins
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That is one messy looking home you have there.
    Fixed it for you, hehe.
    Thanks
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    It is a little cluttered with furniture. Still looks classy.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • GlennDog
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Nothing.

Not the answer I was hoping for!

Although you may have saved me a G-note . . .

I have been reading good things about vertical bi-amping with no external x-over needed (but would be most beneficial with the x-over)

G

Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • dhart86
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    That is one classy looking home you have there.

I was going to say the same thing.........
    Thanks for the visuals and insights, really got to think this over, with low funds and Christmas around the corner.....hmmmmmm
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• bikerboy
    Options
    Ttt. Sweet sounding amp here. Going to usam tomorrow for more. The polk price is leaving soon.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    Interested, but, having hard time finding PM button on my phone. If you could PM me I'd appreciate it.
  • bikerboy
    Options
    Someone needs this! I have someone from France interested but would like to keep it closer. It's going to USAM for $1200 next week.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    will you take payments? :)
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • bikerboy
    Options
    What do you have in mind?
  • heiney9
    Options
    Bumpity

I talked with Nelson Pass quite a few years ago and IIRC there is a way to take (2) Aleph 30's and convert them to Aleph 60 mono's. I am tempted, but the cost involved is close to getting a used XA-30.5 or First Watt F6.

Also, I don't need 2 heavy room heaters.....lol

H9
  • bikerboy
    Options
    Bump. Lots of tire kickers from all over the world. Has any one shipped audio to Italy?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    Bump. Lots of tire kickers from all over the world. Has any one shipped audio to Italy?

Nope, but I'd be weary of the scam artists. Europe is loaded with them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I had a buddy who had an issue with a buyer from Italy with an allegation of problems that never existed previously.
  • davestl
    davestl Posts: 16
    Options
    That is a nice amp, bikerboy!
  • bikerboy
    Options
    Still for sale!