Natalie Merchant's Tigerlily 2

Options
Natalie Merchant is re-recording her Tigerlily LP and here is a link that explains why she choose to do it!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/109162/Natalie_Merchant-Paradise_Is_There_The_New_Tigerlily_Recordings-180_Gram_Vinyl_Record
2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD

Comments

• gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Interesting, 2 albums 4 sides must also be 45rpm or extended tracks...maybe and for only 26.98. I wonder how it was recorded.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    I only have the original on one of those danged, shiny polycarbonate disks (10110001011100010111000011...) but it sounds very, very good -- plus it is, at its best, a very fine album.

"Beloved Wife" always makes me sniffle a little bit.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    nice one D - I'd definitely like to check this out. this is something I'd go for on vinyl, even though I don't even have a table. just for something more... I don't know, *tangible*? and then for having something nice for that next time I do get on a vinyl kick.

Tigerlily is one of my favorite albums.
    I like San Andreas Fault and I May Know The Word, two of the less popular ones that are really quite good, imo. I find them good for good for sweetly melancholic and introspective chill times. goes well with Cowboy Junkies, and Hope Sandoval/Mazzy Star stuff.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    San Andreas Fault is indeed a fine song; great way to open an album.
  • gce
    Options
    I just got this at Amazon for 23.99, free shipping with Prime.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ^^^^
    That was quick :) but i think your right that they maybe 45 rpm's to take 2 LP's & the CD's I think come with a DVD.

San Andreas is also one of my Favorite, I think sometimes the 1st song gets played the most and etched in my brain, and can become my favorite.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Not 45, but no inner cuts. Very laid back recordings, sparse arrangements. Restrained use of piano, violin, acoustic guitar, sax, accordion. Lovely, lush strings on a few songs. So, overall, it's a sort of unplugged version of the original album with thoughtful, elegant arrangements. Song order was changed, moving Wonder to last, possibly to lessen the perception of narcissism from the original one-two. I LOVE this album.

If someone would like to have it in mp3 form, let me know and I'll forward the download code. But if you really like the original, I would recommend buying the vinyl.

Craig
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Okay, just ordered my copy!

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    I listened to some of the samples of the high-res version on HDTracks. Definitely sounds like the lady has 20 more years of experience in the world than when it was first released. I've used Tigerlily as a reference CD for many years when testing gear and speakers, so I'm not sure which one I'd prefer long term. The HDTracks is only 48/24 which is annoying for a recent recording, but not uncommon. I'll most likely download that version.

I sort of see this like something Joni Mitchell used to do, and some of her later re-recordings of earlier songs sounded better to me than the originals.
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    Options
    I have the MFSL 2 lp 45 RPM edition and would be curious on how the new lp sounds. If it is anything like the MOFI it will be a winner. May check it out anyway since it has new arrangements. Thanks for the heads up voltz! :smile:
  • gce
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Well I got home and my copy arrived. Fired up the system and went for a walk so the tubes could warm up. This is a 2 album set with both vinyl's in one sleeve, that's my only complaint. Wish it could have been a gateway cover.

I'm going to have to say I may like this album better than the original (my MFSL 45 copy) . Very quite LP's and I didn't even clean them first. The sound quality is first rate. I really like the new arrangements. This album is a winner in my book and Natalie's voice is amazing. If you're thinking about getting this you'll be glade you did!

Wife said its sounds more personal.
    Anaheim Hills CA,