Rocketfish Wireless Rear Surround Kit

Hello Everyone,

I have been messing around with the Rocketfish Wireless Rear Surround Kit. The latency seems fine but I'm having an issue with low volume. Just as a test, I'm using RTiA A1s with the setup. Has anyone else used this or another wireless kit with good results?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/rocketfish-universal-wireless-rear-speaker-kit-black/8275528.p?id=1171058476489

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Don't expect them to give you the performance of connecting them directly to your AVR or amp... They are transmitting the signal not the amplification and you can't expect the amp in the receiver is of any quality or performance .. I don't see specs on the amp, but that is where it is lacking.

I don't know if you can connect the "receiver" to an external amp located back by the rears but that would be a solution.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited November 2015
    Looking at some of the reviews...
    I found the sound output to be somewhat low
    not enough power comes out of the tiny little rear end reciever for it to power them.
    The amp is only useful for a small satellite speaker. Didn't work that we'll with a medium sized bookshelf speaker.

I can't imagine a 2 pound amplifier running off a wall wart to have sufficient power for any decent bookshelf speaker, even if it is a class D amp. Also seems like reliability of the product is very poor.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    This was in our Best Buy Store and wasn't that impressed with it. They were running the Klipsch Surrounds and had the amp maxed out and barely got any output from it. Also from what I remember it got replaced a few times because it died after about a month or two of use (now granted the thing is on 24/7 there but still). I would have to say to stay away from it.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Years ago when my brother-in-law lived in an apartment & had no way to run wires, we used a Kenwood RFU-6100 to power the rear surrounds. I remember it doing an adequate job. They are no longer made, but maybe you can find one on the used market.
  • When I took the tiny amp out of the box, I knew I was in for underwhelming performance. Of all the wireless kits on the market, very few (available new) provide more than 25 watts per channel.
  • Mikey081057
    To me if there was a wireless device that would allow me to pre out to real amplifiers in the config would be useful. 25 watts is probably not very usefuel

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    From what I have read, it appears that it is worth it at the $51.99 open box price but not at the $99.99 new price.

That being said, my curiosity got the better of me and I wanted to see what it would do with a pair of Wharfdale surrounds for ambient music in my garage so I picked up an open box one. I will report what I find when it shows up.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • cstmar01
    cstmar01 Posts: 4,424
    To me if there was a wireless device that would allow me to pre out to real amplifiers in the config would be useful. 25 watts is probably not very usefuel

Agree with this. Honestly give me something I can plug into a good amp and not something that is a crappy 25-watt amp that can't drive anything.
  • DaveHo
    Take a look at the outlaw audio oaw3. I think aperion audio makes a similar device.
  • @nbrowser A wireless kit with just the banana plugs that would allow me to connect to an external amp would be ideal. I'll do some searching and ask our guys in Baltimore to see if they have any ideas.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I have a slightly different Rocketfish setup. I picked it up a couple of years ago.

It consists of a wireless transmitter and a receiver. The receiver has the ability to accept RCA, mini and wireless. Its about Half the size of a regular component and also has 25 wpc. It has volume control, input selector, power button and wireless remote control.

I have it on the patio connected to in-ceiling speakers and connected to a system in my bedroom via wireless. For what it is it is a really good product. I think I paid about $75 for both the transmitter and receiver.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    DSkip wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Take a look at the outlaw audio oaw3. I think aperion audio makes a similar device.

Look at this recommendation.

https://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

Contact Outlaw to ensure it will work for your situation, but I believe it has A/D and D/A converters so it should work. While the sound is not optimal from this piece, its not a bad option, especially considering the application.

He would still need amps
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • txcoastal1
    DSkip wrote: »
    The world is his oyster there. All he needs is analog inputs. Volume is still controlled by the feed into the transmitter.

But if he's trying an installation set up where he can't get the cable to his head end (which is what I perceive) then the remote amp more than likely will be the budget killer.

He could look for a pair of single channel small form factor class D amps that would provide the wireless integration for the Outlaw transmitters.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Mikey081057

• txcoastal1
    The whole point of the rocket fish is to power the speakers and send signal without wire

So you need amplification and transmitter at the speaker

• Mikey081057
    edited November 2015
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    The whole point of the rocket fish is to power the speakers and send signal without wire

Yes, but looking for un amplified receivers where you can apply some real amplification for the rear channels.

My question would be ... would it be better to have crummy wire or wireless and good wires? I already have crummy flatwire under carpet. Looking for alternatives too.

• DaveHo
    The Rocketfish is still going to require speaker wire from the transmitter to the speakers. The Outlaw unit plus the Parasound Zampv3 for sale in the flea market would give him a much better solution than the Rocketfish & a small form factor also.
  • DaveHo
    Heck, I've been eyeing up that Parasound. I don't need it, but those are great small form factor amps.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Yes, but looking for un amplified receivers where you can apply some real amplification for the rear channels.

My question would be ... would it be better to have crummy wire or wireless and good wires? I already have crummy flatwire under carpet. Looking for alternatives too.

I have only used transmitter for a sub woofer signal never tried on surrounds.
    Been awhile since I've done residential. Dan may have an answer or I could call the my distributor to see what's been used and update recently.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Initial impressions are pretty positive. I mean my expectations were tempered so I wasn't expecting the world but for surround duty, this little thing isn't half bad.
    I have the volume set to its highest setting and Audessey backed each speaker off 1.5 and 2.5dbs respectively.
    It is just running a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.DFS surrounds and has no problem driving them to "reference" levels.

I am currently watching Transformers: Age of Extinction and watched the full Atmos Demo blu-ray and am pleasantly surprised so far.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Mikey081057
    I've been researching option where I can run my rear surrounds wirelessly and came across these:

http://www.jlaudio.com/jlink-trx-home-audio-wireless-kit-96102

Has anybody used anything from JL?

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    I've been researching option where I can run my rear surrounds wirelessly and came across these:

http://www.jlaudio.com/jlink-trx-home-audio-wireless-kit-96102

Has anybody used anything from JL?

Interested to hear as well. Planning on going 7.1 but have putting it off as running wires that far to the back will be a PITA.
  • Mikey081057
    I guess the 2 things that would concern me most are:

1. Delay
    2. Interference from other devices
    3. Frequency response.

OK that's 3 things.

The FR on these is 16th to 22Khz. Which should be no issue. Other cheaper ones were chopped to 30 to 12Khz. That might work OK but might chop the higher freqs that the lsim ' s can reproduce no?

• Mikey081057
    In the end tho it might be a wash to have the electrician just pull the wires