XM Satellite Radio - 2004 Audi A4 - Install

dorokusai
dorokusai Posts: 25,577
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have been procrastinating formally installing the XM, due to Pro-Fit taking their sweet **** time making a mount for this vehicle. Well, it dawned on me to go back to old reliable, Panavise.

www.panavise.com

Mount # : 75102-602

02-04 Audi A4
03-04 Audi A4 Cabriolet
04 Audi S4
03 Volkswagon Cabrio

I ordered this part through Tessco, for about $30. A contact in Tessco says they actually pay $7 for this mount, isn't that sickening? Oh well, I needed it.

www.tessco.com (800) 999-7699

Part # 475130

$30.00

The only special tools I needed were the Audi Radio Removal Tools. I picked these up from the dealer for $20, for all four that are needed. I originally bought the set that Pro-Fit sells, but they don't work as good, and they ended up getting stuck inside my dash and radio slots. Long story short, it's only $20, buy the one's from Audi.

I also need a way to jumper power into the FM Modulator.

www.pepboys.com

Littlefuse Add-A-Circuit #FHA200BP(0FHA0200ZP)

OEM ATO Type Fuse(Large Flat)

$8.99

I used the 15amp fuse slot that controls the radio, #33. This jumpers into that slot, and allows the use of two fuses, and provides a hot lead.

AND you need two(2) special connectors, to adapt the stock radio harness, antenna to the XM....then back to the factory radio.

www.bestbuy.com

Antenna Works (Proline)

#40-VW10 Factory Antenna Flat - Universal Radio
#40-VW20 Factory Radio Flat - Universal Antenna

#40-VW30 Kit, which includes both of those cables.

$25.00

I don't have step by step pictures to post, I kept it simple, but have them if you would like to see them.

The main problems I had were, running all these stupid wires neatly, and the GPS antenna location. If you have a wire routing question just ask, I can tell you, and takes pictures of the actual route.

The GPS issue was two things. I did not want to puncture the stock weatherproofing, nor mount it on a painted surface. The last Audi had alot of small scratches where the antenna was mounted on the trunk lid, and it was manhandled often when I washed the car. The last thing I need is a potential leak or busted window, as I cannot explain that in a "not my fault" way to the better half. Running the wire along the outside of the weatherstripping proved to be a futile effort. Their is very little space for that wire underneath, and the weatherstripping is very motivated to go back to where it was before you poked at it.

I am sure someone could do this, I just chose not to waste any more time.

SAFETY!! Don't make the Add-A-Fuse HOT until you are fully connected. The lead from the XM FM Modulator will short, and/or give you a small jolt if it is powered up. I found this out when it zapped me on my forehead.

I will post pictures with a brief description hereafter. If I have missed anything, let me know, as I think that jolt may have affected my brain.

Thanks for reading, hope it was helpful, sorry for length. :D

TOTAL COST(Including FM Modulator) : $135

This does not take into account that you may not have a couple of the other tools that you will need....8mm Nutdriver...Screwdriver...etc. You may want to shop around, perhaps you will find lower prices. I chose the B&M locations, because they are common and typically easily loacted or contacted.
CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
Post edited by dorokusai on

Comments

• dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    The Ground(-) terminal from the XM FM Mod. had to be cut and re-crimped with a larger connector. The provided connector was too small to fit at the location I chose to use for the main ground.

The 12V Power(+) terminal also had to be cut and crimped INTO the Add-A-Fuse provided extension. I used the male lead, the female remains unused. It makes no difference which one you use.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    Center View.
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    I ran the cable thru the child seat anchor point, which is centered, and stuck it as much towards the rear of the car as possible. The rear grille is metal so the magnet worked great, it does not move.

I really havn't had too much coverage or dropout issues at this location. Would it be better on the roof? Yes. XM is pretty hot in my area, beings it's XM homebase, so it hasn't become an issue yet. I will probably upgrade to an On-Glass antenna later, but it's not high on the list of priorities. This works fine for the roads I travel daily.
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    so do you think it was worth the trouble?
    my XM radio was easy to install
    but then again, i have an XM radio ready HU so i didnt have to mess with some of the stuff you did
    i had the front seat out already b/c i was going some wiring, so i put the tuner under the front seat, antenna on top of the cab, i ran the wire through the brake light on top of the cab
    if you can get a roof mount id do it, i would NOT get a window mount, theyre worthless
    the only time mine cuts out is at one corner by a really tall building, and under some gas stations when i fill up or at Sonic
    -Cody
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    Worth the trouble? What trouble? It was an DIY install, problems/ troubles, come with the territory. Yea it sucked sometimes, but the beer helped. :D

The project cleaned up some wires, and is mission accomplished in my eyes. The wife can now charge her phone w/o bitching at me about XM. Damn these women. :(

Window mounts...ya, I know they lose signal strength due to application. It is also application specific. I have been involved in the wireless/cellular industry for about 10 years, I simply posted an install, just a plain install.

Cody - I think your install is also real cool, it takes time, but the payoff is the best eh? Most people don't want to rip off an interior piece, or MULTIPLE interior pieces...it's a process indeed.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    i wish i had an audi...
    yeah....everytime i take off a panel it seems like one more of those frickin clips break...
    -Cody
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited March 2004
    I have a window mount Terk sr-1 on my car and a mouse roof mount on my wifes Tahoe...I can tell no diff betweent the two! Both are alpine systems BTW. I dont know why folks have a hard time with the window mount antenna.... ive had mine @ 2yrs.:p
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    TUI - Terk was what I was thinking, cool, glad to hear it works well.

Cody - You know what really sucks is when you snap one of the clips, and its a piece that rattles constantly until you freak out and shoot it :)

I had a large piece in my old Datsun that when I pulled on it, the only parts that came off were two small hand sized chunks....the rest was still attached to the frame....GRRRRR
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    the only clips i have problems with are the ones in the extended cab part of my truck
    when i amped my 4x6s i had to take em out...
    theres one piece that goes on the top...i swear its 99.9% impossible to get it back on so i broke off the side clips and put it back on there...and amazingly, no rattles
    i dont have any type of sound deadening stuff in my truck cuz im getting a new one next summer, and itd be a waste of money
    when i take all my audio stuff out to transfer it to a new vehicle, if i break any more clips im just going to JB weld the panels to the metal...i wont have to worry about it...
    -Cody
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    The wife can now charge her phone w/o bitching at me about XM. Damn these women. :(

You think you got it bad??? my wife still askes why her phone don't ring when she powers it down to save on battery power:eek:

Oh well...

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    i'm never gettin married ... women are just for making babies and sandwiches... and u dont gotta be married to do that...

i'm gonna live in my friend john's basement forever and watch old star trek movies and we'll retire and live on out pensions... which wont be much since i only work part time, and i dont think he's full time either... but we'll get by -- and run internet scams and **** to make up the difference. maybe we'll sell used cars / audio. who knows.

but we'll have to find a ton of hot women to frequent his basement... you know, like really hot dumb ones, that just turned 18 and want a couple of older rich guys on pension.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2004
    I'm still debating doing a direct wire instead of the lighter, but at the moment this works.

XMInstall1.jpg
    XMInstall2.jpg
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    is that real carbon fiber steve?
    -Cody
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by sntnsupermen131
    is that real carbon fiber steve?
    -Cody

Naw, it's a Subaru option, plastic that looks like carbon fiber. It actually looks really good, I'm glad I got that option. Definately tones down the accents in the car instead of the standard silver trim peices.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2004
    The last time I saw that dashboard, it looked like a car wreck.....looking fantastic now Steve! :D I had the same option on my old Prelude, and it looked real good, for imitation CF.

I think you would like the direct wire, it really cleaned up the look for me. My lighter wasn't nearly as close to the XM as yours, so it may not be the same situation.

Plus now, I can stick my finger in the lighter socket anytime I want.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by Steve@3dai
    Naw, it's a Subaru option, plastic that looks like carbon fiber. It actually looks really good, I'm glad I got that option. Definately tones down the accents in the car instead of the standard silver trim peices.
    Looks good. A lot better than the plastic "wood" trim in cars...lol
    -Cody