got my x-overs back from WMD

Options
Hey guys I just in my x-overs to my M7s back from Dave. They look fantastic and workmanship is excellent w/ the packing as well. Since my 7s are from 1978 and 9 years older than my 2Bs I decided to do the full monty on them w/ Sonicaps and Daytons and resistors, with adding new 5 way binding posts. I sent Dave male ends for quick disconnects as I did the female leads at home and the leads from the speakers themselves are soldered. They are already on and sound great. About burn in time, Dave said most believe 200hrs is the nominal time and some will hear a difference and someone like me most likely will not. Also he said I could run them at low volume for 8 days or just run them as usual and put in the hours. I told him there was no rush because of my other working sets but 2 weeks later they are back and working.
In the interim I called Polk c/s and asked what series these were and maybe not the very 1st run but for sure an early model 7A . I also asked if they had an archive on line of serial numbers like Fender has for their guitars and amplifiers. They said not on line but at c/s they do have the archive and could look them up to see born on date and possibly even the vendor they were sold to. Dave in no way solicited work through the forum I got him through his own site.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender2.html#telemx78ap12fouk.jpg
7tqd7f2fdckw.jpg
38gw1ih8xp5a.jpg
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Looking Good Lew! Enjoy them!

I put my 10's & CRS's in my pc room and gave them 12 hours a day for several weeks and the really opened up & with time they only get better!

Excellent work as always Dave B)
    Post edited by voltz on
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Was my pleasure Lew. Enjoy!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    If you noticed I had Ken move my post from electronics to vintage speakers which '78 M-7s are. Skip I'm sure you know how to rebuild or build stuff but Dave besides his workmanship is a veritable fountain of freaking knowledge. I bother him all the time about Bose 901s and their quirkyness and how he rebuilds the EQs and all sorts of other stuff. I also would like to meet all you dudes, after years here it's kinda like a fraternity for gear heads.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Not a bother Lew.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,473
    Options
    Those look great Lew. David does very nice work. He goes above n beyond when he does. Yup packs like a pro. Enjoy breaking those in & please keep us updated on what you think
    Randy/Maine
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Hey Randy thanks, already these sound awesome w/ the bass throw that was not there before and a balance of tone that it seems if I go past 8:30 position on my Dynaco pre, things get very loud w/o distortion and the Peerless tweeters just smooth out all the highs.
    I might have an issue on my hands, these 7s are so efficient that believe it or not is very close to being a competitor to my 2Bs. Truth be told when Trey did the x-overs on my 2Bs I just could not afford the top tier of parts at the time a couple of years ago. They are not Sonicaps but all black and I have no picture to show what make they are. So the question is are the Sonicaps and Dayton combo well pardon the pun, sonically better, or is it a longevity thing than what I have in my '87 2Bs ? There is no turning back now 2Bs are staying as they are I was just wondering and maybe these are so new to me I'm just hearing things...

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Happy listening, leftwinger57. It's amazing what new electronic components can do to improve vintage Polks.

Well done, westmassguy!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• westmassguy
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Those look great Lew. David does very nice work. He goes above n beyond when he does. Yup packs like a pro. Enjoy breaking those in & please keep us updated on what you think
    Thanks Brother
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    Options
    Happy listening, leftwinger57. It's amazing what new electronic components can do to improve vintage Polks.

Well done, westmassguy!

Thank you sir
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • westmassguy
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hey Randy thanks, already these sound awesome w/ the bass throw that was not there before and a balance of tone that it seems if I go past 8:30 position on my Dynaco pre, things get very loud w/o distortion and the Peerless tweeters just smooth out all the highs.
    I might have an issue on my hands, these 7s are so efficient that believe it or not is very close to being a competitor to my 2Bs. Truth be told when Trey did the x-overs on my 2Bs I just could not afford the top tier of parts at the time a couple of years ago. They are not Sonicaps but all black and I have no picture to show what make they are. So the question is are the Sonicaps and Dayton combo well pardon the pun, sonically better, or is it a longevity thing than what I have in my '87 2Bs ? There is no turning back now 2Bs are staying as they are I was just wondering and maybe these are so new to me I'm just hearing things...

Lew, you probably have Solens or Dayton/Bennics. They both have a black casing. It's always best practice to use the same caps in the Hi & Lo-pass. Using a lesser cap in the lo-pass is an acceptable trade off. You want the best cap for the tweeter, because its in series with it, so all the signal passes through it. In the lo-pass, the cap is in the shunt position, and is in parallel with the woofer. They still interact, but is less of a problem.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/