Thinking of Buying a Pioneer Elite N-50 Network Audio Player

I was looking at these last weekend and was wondering if anyone on here has a N-50 or N-30?

ggve6q158zkk.jpg

pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Audio-Components/Hi-Fi+Audio/N-50

I've seen them for sale as low as $349.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2015
    Yes. The guy that has Zakk Wylde as his avatar. @DaveHo I think.

I could be wrong, my memory isn't the best.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • MrRoboT
    MrRoboT Posts: 39
    At that price you should go for it, would be interested in hearing your thoughts.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Yes. The guy that has Zakk Wylde as his avatar. @DaveHo I think.

I could be wrong, my memory isn't the best.

Is he related to Don?

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Not sure how you are going to use it, but i bought one a while back. It would not read my FAT 32, 2 TB external HD. Cost me nearly 100 bones to send back. Had to pay ship back plus 15% restock fee. Bought a Marantz NA 7004 and it works like a charm.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    A4L has the Marantz for 369.99.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Yep, I have the N-50. It works perfectly for me, but I am using it with my media server via an ethernet connection. not with an external hard drive connected directly to it. I have been very happy with the sound & the flexibility of its connections. I am using the optical out for the main zone & the analog out is needed for zone2. The Android app works well, but understand you will need it connected to your home network to use the app.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    You might want to look at some of Cambridges' offerings, as they will accept USB hard drives without issue. I don't like having to depend on my network, so I run a HDD full of flacs to my Oppo 103, then on to my DAC.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Yep, I have the N-50. It works perfectly for me, but I am using it with my media server via an ethernet connection. not with an external hard drive connected directly to it.

That's how I was planning to use it too but still want to take a look at the Marantz units too as well as any others I see. I just never knew anyone who had one of these Pioneers and saw they were on sale.

Thanks
  • rikm
    rikm Posts: 23
    FWIW there are 6 of these in the extended family now... also used via LAN in remote rooms, fed either by a server or SAN device...even a smart router in one case.

They are effectively just a good DAC but mean that with nothing more complicated than a decent integrated amp and pair of speakers, an entire music library is available where ever a CAT5 can get to.

For the $ I would say it's a good option...hi-res flac but no DSD...you would need a 2nd gen model for that...

rikm