Love at first listen Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1

Options
I was ready to graduate to a high end system after many years of mid end systems and many weeks of listening to every thing on the market. I had only heard of polk at the time, when I walked into Sound Central a small family owned music paradise in South St. Louis during the 1980s and 90s. After a discussion with the sales rep and a trip to the listening room to listen to his favorites which were the same as every one else's favorites Tony the owner walked in and said that he needed help unloading speakers he had at home trying / testing. While they were busy I walked out to my truck and brought in a "Little Feat" cd that I was fond of that featured a lot of midrange and horns. As they finished wiring the polks into the listening room I handed the cd to the rep. and ask him to play it through some Canadian built speakers with Vifa drivers in them that I liked, satisfied but not sold and Tony hearing my choice of music suggested I listen to the 3.1s and I did for about 30 seconds, gave the sales rep the kill it sign with my hand across the neck. By then he was pretty sure I was just there to listen to good sound. I was sold. I went back to the showroom and told Tony to reload them into my truck and that if he was interested he could sell me a brand new Marantz receiver to run them with. I Never had any regret and for my listening habits I have yet to here anything better, but I did use them without the cable to rock and roll of course.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,792
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story.

I do have a question about your last words, "but I did use them without the cable to rock and roll of course." Are you referring to rock and roll music or cranking the volume?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    Plug in that cable......
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,093
    Options
    I rock mine at near live event levels with the cable all the time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Less_Opinion
    Options
    I was ready to graduate to a high end system after many years of mid end systems and many weeks of listening to every thing on the market. I had only heard of polk at the time, when I walked into Sound Central a small family owned music paradise in South St. Louis during the 1980s and 90s. After a discussion with the sales rep and a trip to the listening room to listen to his favorites which were the same as every one else's favorites Tony the owner walked in and said that he needed help unloading speakers he had at home trying / testing. While they were busy I walked out to my truck and brought in a "Little Feat" cd that I was fond of that featured a lot of midrange and horns. As they finished wiring the polks into the listening room I handed the cd to the rep. and ask him to play it through some Canadian built speakers with Vifa drivers in them that I liked, satisfied but not sold and Tony hearing my choice of music suggested I listen to the 3.1s and I did for about 30 seconds, gave the sales rep the kill it sign with my hand across the neck. By then he was pretty sure I was just there to listen to good sound. I was sold. I went back to the showroom and told Tony to reload them into my truck and that if he was interested he could sell me a brand new Marantz receiver to run them with. I Never had any regret and for my listening habits I have yet to here anything better, but I did use them without the cable to rock and roll of course.

Without the cable was just a personal preference with some music I preferred the cross talk included.
  • Andohaspolk
    Options
    If played without the cable do the sda drivers work at all? Or is it just the stereo array that plays?
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Little Feat....Oh, the memories! B)

One of my favorites;
    https://youtu.be/SkZsSydzQjM
    And this one too. :p
    https://youtu.be/9IyRNKleyyg
    And while I'm digging em on Youtube; B)
    https://youtu.be/Xe0XitIq5O8
    And how can we forget this CLASSIC!!
    https://youtu.be/nVJf6LhPB7Q B)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    If played without the cable do the sda drivers work at all? Or is it just the stereo array that plays?

The SDA driver should play some bass from the sub bass drive circuit, but you're missing out on the reason these speakers are so special.

If these were a blade/blade first or second generation SDA then no it would not play anything.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,015
    Options
    One more nice classic song from Little Feat!
    I live on Dixie Ave. in "the land of Dixie" so this hits home for sure. B)
    https://youtu.be/3z-GwdaKrn8
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.