Our newest member to the SDA brotherhood...

Options
RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I'd like to take the time to welcome our newest member to the Fraternal Order of SDA Enthusiasts, you know him as "jdhdiggs", his mother named him James.

James took a big leap, as a newbie, and not only made it to the Texas Gathering, but brought some gear with him. It took him all of about 10 seconds into a SDA demo at my house to hear 'a really neato pair of speakers that sound pretty cool'. Let me tell you first hand, this guy is EXCITED about audio, and even moreso, his new SDA 1B's.

A good friend of mine Wardsweb (Luther) beautifully restored a pair of 1b's, and I put him and James in contact to work out a deal. I picked up the 1b's last week in San Antonio, and James and I got them setup this morning. He's got a GREAT dedicated 'back' room for them too.

He's running a Carver A500, JVC disc changer, and 'borrowing' the Adcom SLC505. I let him review them, after he finishes moving stuff around, and tweaking placement - but initial impressions were out-friggin-standing (as if they would be anything less?).

Welcome James, enjoy the music!

Cheers,
Russ

Oh, and guess what his dog's name is?

MICAH.
Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2004
    Options
    AHHHHH...get that stuff off the top of those speakers! :D
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    Options
    very nice indeed.. beautiful looking speakers. I don't think i've ever seen a pair of SDA 1b's before. they are quite awesome looking. where do they live in the SDA family? just curious is all
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 904
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I'm so glad these went to someone who will love and appreciate them. They are truely incredible speaker, but alas, I just don't have room for these. Anyone who has ever been to my house can atest to the fact I have lots of gear and that this includes several very LARGE speakers.

"Art through the eyes for the mind
    Music through the ears for the soul "

Enjoy
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Welcome to the SDA Club, James...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2004
    Options
    So how much does a pair of those go for?
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Awesome! Great looking speakers.

Congratulations James!
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Good news in SDA land, have fun!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Wardsweb
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I took the brightness down a bit and removed the haze. Picture is a lot warmer now.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Great speakers! But whatup with that TV? :confused:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,043
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Dragon,
    When you have a *Vintage* rig, one must have a *Vintage* TV ;)

Man you are lucky, those are the speakers I want to get ahold of around the end of the year. Awesome!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Drag,

What an a-typical, no 2ch listening **** response. ;) 'All you need is a big screen in here, and you'll be SET'

Actually, I didn't even notice the TV until you mentioned it. As I stated above, this is his 'back' room. I doubt he will be watching much tv in there, with his HT rig out front.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2004
    Options
    This might sound a little radical, but ---If it were just me (and it's not)--- I probably wouldn't even bother to HAVE a TV. I certainly wouldn't pay for cable. Sure I watch a movie occasionally and the PS2 games are entertaining, but beyond that......ppfftt. Give me a good 2ch stereo (or in my case, even a decent one) and a stack of music any day. I've even considered selling my HT receiver and subwoofer to fund some more 2ch gear.

Jason

And sorry if I went off on a tangent :)
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by jcaut
    This might sound a little radical, but ---If it were just me (and it's not)--- I probably wouldn't even bother to HAVE a TV. I certainly wouldn't pay for cable.
    Jason

You are not alone. When I first moved in my house 17 years ago I couldn't afford cable. I think it was like $30 a month. I was having a tough time paying for my new washing machine. I quickly got used to maybe 4 local grainy channels. Well, it is 17 years later and I am just getting to the point where I think with HDTV and satelite reception that it may be time to open the wallet. I figure I have saved over $7K in the past years with the price increases and all and to tell you the truth, I didn't miss the programming in the least. (not with the 2 channel audio in the house).

madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by jcaut
    Sure I watch a movie occasionally and the PS2 games are entertaining, but beyond that......ppfftt. Give me a good 2ch stereo (or in my case, even a decent one) and a stack of music any day.

AMEN BROTHER AMEN!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of SDA. :D
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited March 2004
    Options
    You "2 channel only"wienies crack me up!:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited March 2004
    Options
    If it were not for us 2 channel wienies all you ht mofos wouldn't have ht..........you dig.:D
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Notice how James himself hasn't piped in here? I'll give you three guesses what he's doing instead. I'll bet it involves nudity, a comfy sofa, a bottle of hooch, and SDA's.

Hotwheel,

No sense in arguing the point, some people would rather buy 7 **** speakers and a receiver, instead of 2 really good ones and a man-amp. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • F1nut
    edited March 2004
    Options
    My 2 channel will kick your HT's arse. :D

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Wardsweb
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Now Now play nice or my HT will come kick all your arses. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

030604frontsm.jpg
  • F1nut
    edited March 2004
    Options
    LOL......Luther you're on. :)

President of Club Polk

• phoneisbusy
    phoneisbusy Posts: 867
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Notice how James himself hasn't piped in here? I'll give you three guesses what he's doing instead. I'll bet it involves nudity, a comfy sofa, a bottle of hooch, and SDA's.

Hotwheel,

No sense in arguing the point, some people would rather buy 7 **** speakers and a receiver, instead of 2 really good ones and a man-amp. ;)

Cheers,
    Russ

James is piping a **** soundtrack through the sda?!?!???
    Do I still get my other two guesses?

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Oh well now, I wouldn't say all that.... :cool:
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Hey when you people say 2 channel are you including your subs or is it strictly two speakers?
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I'd guess better than 90% are talking two speakers only, no sub.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Subs are for men who have a small ****....I'M KIDDING, I'M KIDDING....:D

VIVA LA 2-CHANNEL!!!!!!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • RuSsMaN
    edited March 2004
    Options
    VIVA 2 CHANNEL!!!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Ok, thought I'd finally chime in since I'm back at work and finally have internet access (Reviews to be in a seperate thread when I get some time)

A special thanks definately goes to both Luther and Russ...

Luther- The "damage" that you showed me in the pics, you must have had a great zoom lens on the camera. Those things are pretty!

Russ- Thanks for the setup help, delivery services, electronics diagnostics, and temporary use of the Adcom.

TV: If you look at the second picture Russ posted, you can see the rabbit ears behind the TV, no cable or sat in the house. (or internet for that matter)- The other room has a 36" Toshiba, so I have at least 1 decent TV.... THe one in that pic is a 19" from 1988... vintage....

The book case and pics have been cleared out and used the tape measure to set up the speakers so no worries!

THe review will be out as soon as I get caught up from the weekend, I promise it will be long and almost interesting! :D
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Wardsweb
    edited March 2004
    Options
    jdhdiggs - I always try to make sure people I sell to are not disappointed. You see and hear about everything judged by my own critical standards. Being obsessive about my gear usually means other people find it great to mint, when I would never call a piece as such. Very few items ever would I consider mint. If it has dust on it, it's not mint anymore :D

Bottom line, I'm glad you're happy with your purchase and that the SDA's have found a good home. It's the least that they deserve. Enjoy
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Always glad to see the ranks of the "sonically informed" grow. Congrats.

As far as hearing "The Truth" you'll have to come on over and strap on some Carver Amazing Platinums, cause that's what I named these things about 13 years ago. RUSS, likes to, and has, appropriated every good saying, phrase, analogy, and run on sentence that I have ever come up with. "Crackpot"? Mine. "Deep bass that sort of rolls around the room and then blossoms"? Mine. He actually gets positive credit for these sayings, etc. on the forums. This is where I ask to draw the line. I have been referring to these Carvers as "The Truth" since Russ was in junior high school. May I please continue unhindered?

You can call SDA "The Real Thing" or even get more creative because I forgot Coke (is "The Real Thing").

Have fun with the new speakers diggs.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Luther and George:

Believe me, I am enjoying them....

Carver Amazings? They were already "next" on the list after the SVS even before your endorsement... :D
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin