Recommended room sizes for various SDA speakers

Options
Hey guys.

Does anybody have a list that correlates SDA speakers with recommended room sizes?

For instance a SDA SRS needs a large room. How large?
What about a SDA SRS2? Where does it best fit?

Thanks
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• jimbo1421
    Options
    And how about the SRS 3.1TLs that I am awaiting?

Jim
    5.1 System:
    TCL R613 55" 4K
    Front: SRS-3.1TL
    Center: CS400i
    Surround: Monitor 10B
    PSW10 subwoofer
    Onkyo PR-SC886P Pre/Pro
    NAD T955 5 channel power amplifier
    Technics SL-1710 MK2 turntable
    Audio-Technica AT14Sa cartridge
    Parasound P3 pre-amp
    Oppo BDP-103 Blu-Ray
    2014 MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz

2.0 Office System:
    Monitor 10A (Peerless)
    Outlaw 1050 receiver
    Parasound HCA-1000A power amp
    MacPro
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    I have my SDASRS 2's in a room about 20' X 22' X 9' that I can close off. Sounds great.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    machone wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Does anybody have a list that correlates SDA speakers with recommended room sizes?

For instance a SDA SRS needs a large room. How large?
    What about a SDA SRS2? Where does it best fit?

Thanks
    The answer will depend in part on the type of music, and how loud you want it. I'm not sure the cubic volume is as critical as the actual dimensions (so as to avoid standing waves.) The worst-case would be a room with identical dimensions, or multiples of a dimension. An 8-foot ceiling, 16 wide, and 24 long would be bad, as that's all multiples of 8, as would 8 x 24 x 24 because two of the dimensions are the same, and multiples of 8.
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    All good points. I wish my room was of a better dimension , but like so many others here, we are stuck with what we have,lol. I don't play the SRS2's super loud , I've got to preserve what hearing I have left. ;)
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    I have my 2.3tl's in a 15x29x8' room and they sound great to me.I would like to hear another pair of SDA speakers to compare them to though since I have never heard any others besides my own.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Anytime Sunday? I can bring the McCormack if you want.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    My living room is 18' x 15' and the 2Bs do fit but are not getting the air of 3 feet of open space on the outer sides. Hey we all don't have great rooms w/ the optimum space. Do what you can and the spread should really not be closer than 6/7' w/ the fore mentioned open areas. Most have seen this before but for an example here's minecpiptlcf937w.jpg
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    My 2.3tl's are in a ~ 20' W x 18' D, open to kitchen on the 18' side. Vaulted ceiling with multiple angles. Sounds very good.n2ihjqqowh7u.jpg
    9xj3scyo83qf.jpg
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    7o1dbs4j7jgp.jpg

My room is a garage converted to a playroom that is 18.5 wide by 21 deep x 9.5 tall. It does have some obstacles such as the slot car racetrack and some racks in the back of the room in front the garage door.
    I have fully modified SDA 1As that fill the room but.....
    I have been looking around the internet at several Polk SDA models just to see what is out there. If I found something interesting I might consider upgrading. It would be my nice to choose a model that could be TL'ed but not necessary. Power is not a problem as my Hafler will drive any of the Polk models.

SDA 1s, 2s and 3.1s would side right in and replace the 1As.
    SRS models would require remodeling and rearranging but not that big a deal.

I have found the following speakers and asking prices in the South East:

SDA 1C studio for $450
    SDA 2A for $225
    SDA 2B for $359
    SRS 2 for $800 (don't know if blade/blade or pin/blade)
    SRS 2 pin/blade for $700
    SRS 2.3TL for $1350 (seems really high?)

There are several of the large SRS models out there for around $2500 but I believe they would be overkill in this room. Besides I don't want to spend $2500 and then upgrade these beasts.

I would like to keep it below $1000.

My question is if you had my room and wanted to upgrade today from the 1As what would you pick from this list.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    7o1dbs4j7jgp.jpg

SRS 2.3TL for $1350 (seems really high?)

Not necessarily - depends on if it has been modded.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • machone
    Options
    How much of an upgrade could one expect moving from SDA-1As to SRS 2s?
    Is $700-$800 for a set of virgins in great shape an OK deal?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• leftwinger57
    Options
    Drumminman, you have 1 beautiful living room. It's to bad those monoliths take away from your built ins and fireplace. The wife had to have said something about that arrangement..lol Those darn SDAs and their placement quirks.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited September 2015
    Options
    How much of an upgrade could one expect moving from SDA-1As to SRS 2s?
    It's going to depend on your listening room, your hearing ability, and your musical tastes, but I'd guess "significant upgrade" in the bass, midrange, and particularly treble.
    Is $700-$800 for a set of virgins in great shape an OK deal?
    WAY high for blade/blade SRS 2s, somewhat high for pin/blade SRS 2s. This is based on market value, not speaker performance. Based on speaker performance, $800 is a bargain.

I paid $600 for SRS 2 pin/blade speakers about a month ago. Another set on eBay had a single bidder, and sold for $300 including original boxes and packing materials. The SRS models--any of them--are somewhat scarce. I waited years for a pair to show up for sale not where I live, but where I could reasonably travel to--and even so it was a thousand-mile round-trip from my Father's home in California which itself is 4000 miles round-trip from home.
    Post edited by Schurkey on
  • machone
    Options
    Thanks schurkey
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4