Magico visit to hear S7 vs S5

Options
BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
edited September 2015 in Speakers
Tuesday, 9/1/15, I visited Magico to hear the S7/S5 as described in the thread link below. Alon was kind enough to spend nearly an hour of his time talking, playing music, and switching cables, for me. As others have mentioned, the S7 is a better speaker, as it should be for twice the price. The word I used to describe the difference is the S7 sounded ‘cleaner’. The bass was certainly more distinct and detailed over the S5, and the overall sound better. The S7 is a bit more efficient than the S5 so that could be a small factor in the difference in sound.

One point he mentioned, and I might have this slightly wrong so don’t go Internet berserk about it, is that the drivers in the S7 are so much better that they were able to eliminate some circuitry in the cross over, and this helps make the sound appear more enveloping (my word). Anyway, the point is the S7 is an all new speaker that clearly outperforms the S5.

A design issue I am not too crazy about, but is probably okay, is that the mid and tweeter module is separate from the woofer section. It is bolted and epoxied to the woofer section. In my mind that is one more thing that can work loose over time with negative sonic implications, but that is just a personal non-speaker designer feeling.

Now for the best part. I have always felt my system really starts to shine around 11 PM, as the air cools down, and the ambient noise goes very low in my house and neighborhood. Due to the Shunyata cabling and power, along with the 500 pound solid maple rack, vibration control, and positioning of furniture in my living room, I have really been able to extract outstanding performance from my system. Yesterday while listening to the S5 in their outstanding listening room, I felt like I was listening to my system. It really seemed that close on songs (Patricia Barber, Holly Cole) that I also have and play. Of course, audio memory is short, and I might be wrong, but that was my impression.

Now I need to get a pair of S7s to see if they sound the same at home as at Magico. :)

Magico S7 thread on AudioShark:
http://audioshark.org/magico-61/magico-s7-s5-8196.html#.VekAUreCOK0

Pictures below are by Myles Astor from an AV Showrooms forum thread.
http://avshowroomsforums.com/showthread.php?208-I-Left-My-Speaker-in-San-Francisco

S7 on the outside, S5 on the inside:
qb8skulw3maw.jpg

Listening room:
jzblw2s92pqf.jpg

rc1auan7akj2.jpg

Soulution 701 amps:
i4hmsk9l9z94.jpg

MIT cables:
v0lj7fl6tm5y.jpg

S7 crossover:
7onpie04rhp7.jpg
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.
Post edited by BlueFox on

Comments

• BlueFox
    Options
    LOL. I wish I were even close to being a millionaire. Unfortunately, I have to work for my money, and the S7 will have to wait for my winning lottery ticket. But they sure do sound great.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    nbrowser - lay off the Molson...just kidding.

At 58,000, just work longer hours!

That would have been a nice way to spend a Tuesday. That is some serious equipment on hand.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    That's awesome bud... I would love to hear that set up of Alons.

Man he spent an hour with you... That's sweet.

And that's a room!!! That's how you do it
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Alon was very gracious, and down to earth. For an individual who has built a world class speaker company in 10 years, I am humble he spent his time with me. In fact, all Magico employees I have met (hi Dave and team) are outstanding.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Sounds like a winner company.

I would love to own a Magico someday.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Magico is a company I was not familiar with years ago. I've been out to Hayward, CA a couple of times for work. Was out there for about two weeks or so both times. The storage warehouse we use is about 3.3 miles from Magico!

It would have been cool to see if they would have allowed a quick tour had I'd known back then.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • BlueFox
    Options
    It can't hurt to ask. I would check ahead before making any commitments. Did you use 880? That road is a PITA.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Next time I'm in Cali I will see if I can swing by magico.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    One negative to the visit was Alon didn't have any Marilyn Manson on his music server. Listing to my MM playlist now makes me wish I could have heard a few tunes from The Pale Emperor on the S7.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I was hooked on Magico the first time I heard a pair of V2s and have been ever since.

My buddy's shop carries Magico and currently has the S1s, S5s, Q1s and Q3s in stock and out of those, the S5s are still my favorites.

Don't worry Bud...when the time comes for you to upgrade to the S7s, I will happily take those S5s off your hands. ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Price to performance, I love the S1s...but ultimately, they sound and "feel", for lack of a better term, like a bookie with a built in stand.

They are, IMHO, 80% of the S5s and a single JL Audio sub bridges most of the remaining 20% but you end up losing some of the imaging quality of the S5s with the single sub. It tends to collapse the soundstage a bit and things get ever so slightly muddled versus the separation of the S5s without a sub.
    Build quality is, like the rest of the S line, outstanding. That extruded aluminum cabinet is a thing of beauty.
    I have never had the opportunity to try any of them out in home but if I had to pick my top 5 Magicos that I have actually heard, in this order, from top down would be S5s, V2s, Q1s, S1s (With single JL Audio F112), Q3s
    I rate the Q3s lower than the S1s because, for the price, I expected a lot more. And it wasn't a diminishing returns thing...just something was lacking that none of the others did.

The S1s are a great speaker and their (real) price make them a good step into the fabulous world that is Alon's Magico.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I want the mini II