More ?'s from the NEWBIE.

IcePhreak08
IcePhreak08 Posts: 22
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, from reading posts around, im starting to wonder if i will have a problem installing my new amp and subs. I have a 92 ford t-bird which has the "premium sound" and im wondering if i will have any problems. I have replaced the HU, this is the one i have now

http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SONCDXCA810X

It is a sony x-plod deck...Ok, so, what i was hoping to do was keep the stock amp for my interior speakers, and use my new(to me) amp to power my subs alone..My amp is a rockford fosgate punch800a4(its from 2000), and i have 2 GNX124's...Now, i got a 4gauge amp kit, and 12gauge speaker wire both from STINGER.

Does anyone see me having any problems hooking up my subs to the upgrade amp, and keeping my interior speakers running from the stock amp?

Now, i know everyone talks really bad about premium sound...But as far as sound goes, my system really isnt too bad...It sounds awesome, its loud, it hits all notes and tones easily, i never have any problems with it..I just needed that extra kick with the subs...

Thanks in advance

--Jon
Rollin deep in the T-bird.

1992 Thunderbird LX, w/ sport option.

JBL audio system, Fosgate Punch8004 amp, 2 gnx124's (12")
Post edited by IcePhreak08 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    the headunit will put out more power than your stock internal amplifier probably would. if you can turn off the internal amplifier in your new headunit, you wont have to bother finding your stock amp. this will also clean up the sub a bit. if turning off the internal amp is not an option, you should bypass the stock amp and connect your stock speakers directly to your hu. your sub should go in just fine.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    since your headunit is already installed and the speakers work, you should have no problem adding another amp and sub
    and i wouldnt count on sony xplod being any better than the stock amp
    -Cody
  • IcePhreak08
    edited March 2004
    I know where the amp is already :) its mounted in my trunk...And its not an X-Plod amp, its an X-Plod deck, the amp is rockford fosgate...

Yeah basically i was just hoping to run the fosgate amp and my gnx's without messing with the rest of the stereo system...I know that i can definitely hook my sub directly to my deck, but than i wouldh ave to switch amps and that would be all bad...

The way my amp is made I can set it up 3 diferent ways.. i can run 4 channels at 4ohms 100W to each channel, i can run 4 channels at 2 ohms 200w to each channel, or i can bridge it and run 2 channels at 4 ohms 400W each...im going with the last option to get max power to my subs and since the stock amp does my stock speakers fine :)

--Jon

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    if you have 2 gnx's, with 400 each at 4 ohsm, your looking to be getting new subs pretty soon, the rms on the is 175, max of 400...i have them in the 10' model, but theyre the same specs from what ive seen. mine are running at 220 each
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2004
    fairlynew hit it on the head... with 400 rms going to each, you'll cook them in no time flat

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    I'm new to car audio, but like in HT, isn't more power better?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    More power is better but only as long as the speaker can handle the extra grunt.

You take a Momo 8" sub and and give it 200-250 watts and itll sing. Youll get all the sound quality this baby has to offer. Now you stick a 1000 watt Class D amp behind it and about the only place that sub will be useful is at the end of an anchor chain!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • IcePhreak08
    edited March 2004
    There is no way i will ever use 400 watts to EACH sub, thats way too much power for me...the reason i have such a powerful amp is because i got it for 120$, that was an unrefusable offer :)

<edit>
    and the reason that im using the 2 channel with up to 400w to each is because the only other way i could hook up my subs would be at only 100w to each, which isn't even high enough for reccomended RMS

• sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    keep the gain WAY DOWN
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    why not get 2 sets of speakers, put that with the amp you have, with the 100x4 @4ohms, and get a new amp that wont blow your subs?
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2004
    in the original post, he said that all he wanted was the sub, cause he liked the premium sound system. besides, putting two more sets in with amps would be hellishly difficult w/ that premium stuff installed.

• Systems
    edited March 2004
    well why not sell the amp on like ebay, if he got it cheap, he could probably make some money on it, then by something he could use...
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    if he got it for $120, sell it for like $200 or so, then your good to go
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • sntnsupermen131