FS: Thiel CS5i Speakers

Options
I am offering up for sale my flagship Thiel CS5i speakers. Jim Thiel called these the best speakers he ever built, which is quite a statement considering his legendary speaker genius. These were almost $10K new and offer world class performance that will compete with ANY speaker at ANY price. First order crossovers with both time and phase aligned drivers. Front baffle is composed of marble which makes this speaker cabinet extremely inert and quiet (not to mention extremely heavy as these speakers are almost 200 lbs each). These are extremely elegant looking speakers and take up little floor space. One of the most accurate speakers ever built. You will hear more of your music than you ever knew was on the recording with these. Note the specifications below.

I will also be selling my massive CAT 600.2 amplifier which works wonderfully with these. I will list it in a separate ad. Serious inquiries only please.

$3750 OBO. Might consider partial trades plus cash. Local pickup only due to weight in the San Antonio, TX area.

DESCRIPTION:
Floor-standing, five-way, six--drive-unit, "Coherent Source," moving-coil loudspeaker.
Drive-units: two 8" Kevlar-cone subwoofers, 8" Kevlar-cone woofer,5" Kevlar/foam-cone lower-midrange unit, 2" metal-dome upper midrange unit, 1" metal-dome tweeter.
Crossover frequencies: 50Hz, 400Hz, 1kHz, 3kHz.
Crossover slopes: first-order, 6dB/octave.
Frequency response: 23Hz--20kHz ±1dB.
Phase response: minimum ±5°.
Sensitivity: 87dB/2.83V/1m (equivalent to around 82dB/W/m, given the low impedance).
Impedance: 3 ohms (2 ohms minimum).
Recommended power: 100--400W.
Dimensions: 64" H by 13" W by 17" D.
Weight: 180 lbsea
Shipping Weight: 220 lbs. each

x2xt0c2kxfz8.jpg
diwve0nvyxf9.jpg
fsy71gmndgkz.jpg
sqt8dcl1rm8a.jpg
0x2ts1kl8mgm.jpg

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    GLWS... I just checked reviews on those Thiels. They are massive. 66" tall?

Wow
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Texas42
    Texas42 Posts: 404
    Options
    Yes, they are tall and the front baffle is made out of marble, which is extremely inert and non-resonant. Makes them image incredibly well (as well as very heavy).
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Incredible price here kids. Thiel is no new comer to higher end audio and that Cat amp is a sweetheart also. Good luck on the sale, anyone would be proud to own this.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Texas42
    Options
    Also, per my other ad on the CAT 600.2 amp for sale, buy both and I'll knock an additional $1,000 off. That's 75% off what they cost new.
  • Texas42
    Options
    Price drop by $500 to $3295 since my CAT amp is now sold. Might also consider a part trade involving a pair of Polk SDA speakers.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Deal of the century here guys.....someone snag these and up your game.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options
    I wish I live nearby :smiley:
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Having just purchased @Texas42's CAT 600.2 amp, I can assure anybody who is interested in these speakers that he is extremely helpful in arranging packing and shipping.

Yes, it costs a bit, but for a good deal it may be worth it.

Craters and Freighters in San Antonio is also very helpful and reasonably priced.

If I were in the market for speakers, I would likely have purchased these, but I'm just too partial to my two pairs of SDAs! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    Options
    If I were in the market for speakers, I would likely have purchased these, but I'm just too partial to my two pairs of SDAs! :)

Moose,
    The SDA's don't belong in the same room as these. This is a fantastic price for fantastic speakers.

....And whoever buys these best not think about adcom or Emo amps for them. They need real power to sound their best. Which is probably why the OP had the Cat to begin with.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited August 2015
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ....And whoever buys these best not think about adcom or Emo amps for them. They need real power to sound their best. Which is probably why the OP had the Cat to begin with.

The Emo XPR-1's are 1750 watts into 4 ohms, 99 pounds, and a 20 amp circuit is required. That's not enough? ;)

I get what you're saying, just to be clear.

These look like fantastic speakers, GLWTS!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    edited August 2015
    Options
    @tonyb,

My wife and I auditioned a pair of Thiel 7.2s a few years ago, before I decided to invest in upgrading my SDA SRS1.2s. They were being driven by MacIntosh electronics (as I recall, a pair of 1000 wpc monoblocks). I don't recall the source CD player, but I think it was an Esoteric.

While I do not pretend to be the sophisticated listener that you and others on this forum are, we preferred the SDA SRS1.2s for our room,

We do not have a dedicated listening room, and my wife wants our system "to fill the first floor" with sound, when appropriate.

Moreover, her aesthetic requirements for the room's decor militate against any set of speakers that "protrudes" into the room and requires any toe-in.

For our circumstances, the SDA SRSs that -- with Trey's help -- have been fully upgraded suit our needs perfectly.

And, they sound very, very nice! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• wayneuncle
    Options
    Hello,
    Possible for shipping? Thiel 5i
  • Texas42
    Options
    Hi Wayne, thanks for your interest but I'm sure these would be cost prohibitive to ship due to their size and weight (about 200 lbs each). I would prefer local pickup in San Antonio so the buyer can listen and check them out.