Changing Finish on RTi's

charles792
charles792 Posts: 2
edited July 2001 in Technical/Setup
My wife if tired of the black look of my speakers.

I knew that I should have purchased the cherry, but the store didn't have any in stock and I didn't want to wait for them to be shipped, so brought the black home.

Four months later, she is wanting me to strip the black off and refinish them in cherry which would match the rest of the room.

Has anyone tried this with any success? or do I have any other options?

Please don't tell me to get another wife! ;)

Thanks in advance!
Charles
Post edited by charles792 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    ...Order a pair of the Cherry finish, have them shipped to your office...

Now, WHOOPS, you have 2 pair, better put one in your homeoffice/gameroom/garage....

Unless you have done veneer work before, I would leave em alone...I'd hate to see you end up with a real ugly pair of speaks....

Now, if you bought them at CC, use the upgrade policy....just go do it, don't talk to her about it.

If you have the 25's, go to at least the 35's. 35's to 55's and so on.....

She gets her cherry finish, you get a speaker upgrade....something along the lines of:
    'Honey, I know I had to spend a little more, and upgrade, but the finish meant so much to you, I had to make the sacrifice.'

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2001
    If you took it to someone to have it done, however it would probably be cheaper just to buy the new speaks and have the advantage of 2 sets as Russ previously noted.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited July 2001
    Charles, I wouldn't fiddle with the finish, you'll screw up the warranty. Plus, I see what happens to speakers with manipulated finishes here in the woodshop. Bad. Sorry you have this problem, but if I were you I wouldn't fiddle with the cabinet. That's just me.

Try the upgrade program.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • charles792
    charles792 Posts: 2
    edited July 2001
    RuSsMaN, TroyD and Micah:

Thanks for your replies.

You have some very good ideas. Even though I have refinished several pieces of furniture, I am not quite at the skill leave where I would risk ruining my Polks. I would especially hate to void my warrantee. Thanks for mentioning that since I hadn’t thought about it.

Since I did buy them at CC, I may do the upgrade. The speakers I have now are the 55’s and I really like the sound.

What would be the best upgrade from the 55i’s without spending much more money?
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2001
    You have to step to a tower, either the 600 or 800...

I was hoping you wouldn't say you had the 55's.

My CC let me trade in and buy multiple products, yours may not, it may have been a fluke....but if they do, grab some cherry 55's and a set of R10's for the bedroom/office/garage.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.