Sonus Faber Stradivari - transaction complete!

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    edited August 2015
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Just 5 minutes ago... paid.
    Money out of my account, instant transfer.
    Wife gave me a look..

Big Kahunas!

There was some discussion I did not expect after the purchase.... She made me swear to not upgrade to a more expensive speaker on voice recording...

The stipulation to the promise was even more interesting... I can't upgrade until I apparently have 7 figures cash. Don't know how long that'll take but I figured the strads will last me a while.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    Congratulations, @Joey_V.

I'm sure I am not alone in looking forward to your review of those drop-dead-gorgeous speakers.

They likely sound even better than they loo, which is no mean feat! :)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Whats not to like about a guy securing some Strads and lusting after Dags and Boulder gear.

I think I have a man crush on ya bro. :) Still waiting to see it all set up and rocking.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Confirmed the other guy has the money in his account... Niiiice
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options

There was some discussion I did not expect after the purchase.... She made me swear to not upgrade to a more expensive speaker on voice recording...

The stipulation to the promise was even more interesting... I can't upgrade until I apparently have 7 figures cash. Don't know how long that'll take but I figured the strads will last me a while.

But you can still upgrade amps/sources ... lol

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    brianle wrote: »

That will be another story when his wife decides to pull the trigger... ;)

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    Options
    I want to know the game plan Joey.....whats getting hooked up to those works of art when they walk in the door ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    YES!!!!

It was not part of the verbal contract... The handcuffs did not include electronics!!

• Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    I want to know the game plan Joey.....whats getting hooked up to those works of art when they walk in the door ?

The game plan would like to be:

Esoteric K1
    Dagostino pre
    Dagostino stereo

Or

Emm Labs xds1
    ARC 5se pre
    Boulder 2060

But reality will be far from that since we met with our financial planner the other day and she found out about the Strad purchase.

So I'm going to slum it with the Cary for a little bit and then go from there and see what I like or don't like. The bigger question is what will power the 802 Diamonds when they leave the room.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

That will be another story when his wife decides to pull the trigger... ;)

Double crap.

I'm worth more dead than alive anyway
  • tonyb
    Options
    Slumming it with the Cary's ? Ha....I'd love to have your problems pal. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Want to trade your Cary for some Yamaha gear? I mean, slumming is slumming right?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Slumming it with the Cary's ? Ha....I'd love to have your problems pal. lol

Dang it... Wrong words came out of my mouth!!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Top ramen, num
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    I agree with the Mrs. Also, you may need wait until your title changes from associate/partner to owner. With your name on the side of the building! The SF upgrade path is a pretty steep road!

Lilium - $89,999
    Aida - $120,000
    Fenice / the Sonus Faber - $186,000-$200,000

A MUCH larger room will be needed...or a dedicated second building!

30.JPG

How crazy is that picture?

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The Elipsa above now the Stadivari!
    National-Audio-Show-Whittlebury-Hall-September-25th-to-26th-2010-478_576x768.jpg

The Fenice is just massive...in comparison!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Strads are so much bigger than the Elipsa.... dwarfs it by a good amount.

If the Strads are as good as I think they are, they are going to be with me for a looong time.

I heard the XLF yesterday... and that reassured my purchase. I got a great deal.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    Nice speakers but for that kinda money I would have went for something a little more modern with a better top end.
    And the reason this bozo has not been banned yet is???
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,663
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Joey,

Those should be awesome. I would love to have a listen to them while you have the Cary's pushing em. Then a re-listen when you upgrade. (I'm still waiting on the invite.)

Congrats on finally taking the leap. You should get much enjoyment from them.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I agree with the Mrs. Also, you may need wait until your title changes from associate/partner to owner. With your name on the side of the building! The SF upgrade path is a pretty steep road!

Lilium - $89,999
    Aida - $120,000
    Fenice / the Sonus Faber - $186,000-$200,000

A MUCH larger room will be needed...or a dedicated second building!

30.JPG

How crazy is that picture?

Looks like this was when they were developing the Fenice? Wow
  • Joey_V
    Options
    National-Audio-Show-Whittlebury-Hall-September-25th-to-26th-2010-478_576x768.jpg

That's just the difference between a great speaker and what appears to be a game over speaker.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Nice picture for size comparison... it is the current 802 Diamond, next to Elipsa, and next to the Strads
    pnovkg0zgj6o.jpg
  • Joey_V
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

That's just the difference between a great speaker and what appears to be a game over speaker.

Depends on the room. Those Strad's might be end-game for you unless you have a larger listening room. Are you planning any subwoofers for that rig?

I wasn't planning on it just yet as I am a bit of a purist.

If I go with subs, I want 2 or 4 subs. It has to be either of those numbers.

Probably want four JL Audio subs if I can help it.

I would like to distribute the LF across as many as possible to reduce distortion.

But I would probably need to move first and won't happen ideally for maybe 4 years or so.

Or my dream has been dual JL Audio Gothams.

Would be phenomenal... but I need to heal a little first.

pkzj2bsrbb9d.jpg

• Joey_V
    Options
    I wonder how much $$$$ is in that pic above. Gotta be pushing into the mid six figures in speakers alone.

Yeah, something crazy. Imagine being a dealer and having to hold that kind of an inventory.

Craziest store I know is LMC in Arizona. I don't even want to know what their overhead is.

Wilson XLF
    Sonus Faber Aida
    MBL Xtreme

Those 3 alone push $500K.

That's not including all the other speakers and equipment and rooms and building... holy crap man.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Here is their instore demo list Skip... my eyes just popped.

MODEL
    Linn Majik 140
    Linn Majik 109
    Magnepan 3.7
    Magnepan 1.7
    Martin Logan CLX Art
    Martin Logan Summit X
    Martin Logan Ethos
    Mbl 101 X-treme Radialstrahler
    Mbl 116 Radialstrahler
    McIntosh XRT2K
    McIntosh XRT1K
    Merdian DSP 8000 Active
    Merdian DSP 7200 Active
    Merdian DSP 5200 Active
    Merdian DSP 3200 Active
    Sonus Faber Aida
    Sonus Faber Lillium
    Sonus Faber Stradivari Homage
    Sonus Faber Amati Futura
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions
    Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento
    Sonus Faber Elipsa SE
    Sonus Faber Elipsa
    Sonus Faber Elipsa Auditor
    Sonus Faber Olympica III
    Sonus Faber Olympica II
    Sonus Faber Olympica I
    Sonus Faber Cremona M Auditor
    Sonus Faber Venere Family
    Totem Earth
    Totem Forrest
    Totem Hawk
    Totem Sttaf
    Totem Arro
    Totem Rainmaker
    Totem Mite "Design"
    Totem Dreamcatcher
    Wilson Alexandria XLF
    Wilson Alexia
    Wilson Sasha 2
    Wilson Sasha W/P
    Wilson Sophia 3
    Wilson Sabrina
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Yeah, I think a pair would do great for you. With that caliber of speakers, even as good as they are, I think pairing some world-class subs with them to take care of the lowest of the low would give you the foundation to a real world-class system.

You might be right... I might just start looking for subs sooner than later after this conversation.

Healing time first...
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Who is that?

http://www.lmche.com/index.htm

The mecca for high end dealers.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ah. They have two locations. That makes more sense. I was thinking if all those were under one roof.... that's too many demo products. Its still a very impressive list.

I think the main location is the Scottsdale one, it has the big 3.

And if you look closely - both locations have duplicate speakers.
  • WLDock
    Options
    That is a crazy about of equipment. Insurance must be pretty steep.

Speaking of crazy amount of equipment...just ran across this ad on CL...someones selling a ton of Krell amps. Well maybe not a ton, but about 1000 lbs worth,
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/eld/5151435469.html
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/eld/5151441569.html

175lb brute!
    http://audiofederation.com/hifiing/2008/CEDIA2008/day4/IMG_0718.jpg