Starting a 500 mile journey Saturday

Options
On my bicycle! Some how I found a team to tag along with this year for Ragbrai, I've got nearly a thousand miles on the new bike this year so I know I'm ready for it. Super pumped about the week ahead, I got to meet some of the people I'll be riding with on Tuesday and I think I'll be in good company. If not, I'll just crank the tunes to drown them out!

Anybody with us ever done Ragbrai? This is my first time and I'm already planning on doing it next year. Here's some info for those who don't know about it -

http://ragbrai.com/

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    My prostate aches just thinking about it, be safe.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My prostate aches just thinking about it, be safe.

I can't stay on a bike seat longer than an hour before things go south. lol

Also RAGRAI? I had to google that. I am "forever" being surprised by how many events, activities I've NEVER heard of: Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa.

I just have to accept that we're living in the "Golden Age of the Acronym"! Soon we won't need to use entire words anymore only the first letter of every word we speak (SWWNTUEWAOTFLOEWWS)!

Learn something everyday! Have fun, youngster!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • ambiophonics
    ambiophonics Posts: 718
    Options
    I'll be out there for tuesday-saturday as I couldn't find a ride to the start, see you out there!
    2 Channel - Polk SDA-2BTL, Carver TFM-35, Peachtree iDAC, Qobuz streamed via Episode Lynk using bubble UPnP server
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    I will be avoiding the route for all the drunken cyclists! ;)

Have a good ride Cody. And enjoy!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    I Did Iowa City to Davenport the last time it ended up in Davenport on a Specialized Rockhopper with a rigid fork. It was quite a work out as I'm not a road rider mostly just off road on mountain bike trails. We had fun it was a good time. Your a brave man good thing you got that 1000 miles under your belt the whole ride will be quite the Journey enjoy it. The heat and humidity will be the biggest challenge. I wish you well, that should put you in Davenport a week from this Saturday.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    @codyc1ark

Maybe next year I will join you if I get to where I want to be bike wise...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That's outstanding! I just picked up a new to me road bike because... well, because I wanted it... but I told the wife it was because I was trying to get the distances up above 30 miles more regularly. Would love to do a long ride like this!

In our area we have the GAP (another acronym @cnh ) Great Allegheny Passage, a bike trail that runs from Pittsburgh PA to DC, 360+ miles, it's on my list!

Ride safe, have a great time!

What does everyone ride btw? @gudnoyez I occasionally commute to work on my Rockhopper as well (30 miles) - great bike, but agreed, one hell of a workout vs. my roadie!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'll be out there for tuesday-saturday as I couldn't find a ride to the start, see you out there!

PM your number and we'll have a beer, maybe talk a little audio!

Bike shorts are the MOST amazing thing in the world. My man parts will be fine!

I've got a Specialized 29er I've been wanting to convert into a rigid fork because we don't have those kind of trails around here. Would be a fun bike to ride then. The only drawback to riding a road bike is that their kind of fragile, and I'm hard on things.... Picking up a few new tubes tomorrow, this is the ride..

clgtnh1ck4r9.jpg
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    codyc1ark wrote: »

PM your number and we'll have a beer, maybe talk a little audio!

Bike shorts are the MOST amazing thing in the world. My man parts will be fine!

I've got a Specialized 29er I've been wanting to convert into a rigid fork because we don't have those kind of trails around here. Would be a fun bike to ride then. The only drawback to riding a road bike is that their kind of fragile, and I'm hard on things.... Picking up a few new tubes tomorrow, this is the ride..

clgtnh1ck4r9.jpg

Please no skinny jeans..

• codyc1ark
    Options
    I prefer assless chaps, thank you though though. >:)
  • MrBuhl
    Options

Picking up a few new tubes tomorrow, this is the ride..

clgtnh1ck4r9.jpg

Nice! Love the Beam Rack - I have the same for my commuter bike. Really makes carrying spare items so much easier!

Here's my new roadie, I call it my midlife crisis bike... Have a great time on your ride!

3ex82h6ibpvj.jpg

VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    I always appreciate fine machinery. Whether it may be auto, motorcycle, and in this case bikes.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    Great Bikes guys! You dont want to know what I'm currently slumming in lol...

@codyc1ark just a FYI since your using your bluetooth speaker. Check out Spotify Run. I used it on my last 22 mile bike ride on the "Burn" station (created by Tiesto) and it actually did a decent job of pacing me with the songs. The also have another one for electronic thats supposed to do a decent job.

Otherwise I've heard the other stations can be kinda finniky or just plain suck lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • codyc1ark
    Options
    @MrBuhl nice carbon. I figure I'll spend at least a few years with my new guy before I start to think about that route.

@EndersShadow I mostly just use Pandora. Depending on my data situation I use Radio Paradise sometimes because I can wifi cache it for like eight hours and not suck data.

Data knows.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Sounds like a great time. I am been riding Mtn. Bikes for a while, but have been thinking of getting a road bike, being that about half of my rides are on the trail anyway. Enjoy and be safe :)
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @MrBuhl nice carbon. I figure I'll spend at least a few years with my new guy before I start to think about that route.

@EndersShadow I mostly just use Pandora. Depending on my data situation I use Radio Paradise sometimes because I can wifi cache it for like eight hours and not suck data.

Data knows.

@codyc1ark Spotify shouldnt be "that" bad data wise, although your going to be on a bike all day. If you've ever wanted to try it, that ride would be the time to play around with it.

• MrBuhl
    Options
    Wait - what's this? I had no idea I could run spotify or pandora while on the road? This is an interesting new idea!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    Friend of mine completed the Tour Divide a couple years ago. Maybe a lofty goal for the future? :)
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    So assuming your done riding for the day hanging out in Coarlville sore but in good spirits, tossing back a few and getting ready for Cheap Trick!!! A lots happening in Davenport tomorrow, the Bix 7 annual race, and Ragbrai both at once the Street fest started today and runs through tomorrow night.

If you happen to see some big tall guy stumbling around in a maroon Polk Audio T-shirt with a beer in hand that be me introduce yourself:D Tell us all about your Ragbrai adventure I bet you had a friggin blast.

Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • codyc1ark
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    Friend of mine completed the Tour Divide a couple years ago. Maybe a lofty goal for the future? :)

WHOA. I can say that my bike and I are not friends this second, and that has to be a joke!

It went really well, had a blast. I trained plenty, only walked one half of a hill (because of vodka?). I'll try and throw a few pics up tomorrow, right now I'm going to go back to the basement and hide. Should have grabbed a Redbox lol.
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Options
    I've done the Oklahoma Freewheel several times, which is a much smaller version, and have a friend who just finished his first RAGBRI. Looked like fun, although a bit crowded at times. Have you ever done the annual 24 hour endurance ride at Sebring, FL? My friend roped me into doing that a few times - not for the faint of heart.