Parasound DAC 1500

Options
gmorris
gmorris Posts: 1,179
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
There is a Parasound DAC 1500 up on Ebay right now.

My question is: would this be an improvement over the DAC's in my Onkyo TX-SR601? I currently have my CD player connected to the Onkyo receiver with an optical digital cable, thus utilizing the DAC's in the receiver.

The Parasound DAC 1500 is nearly 10 years old. Am I better off sticking with the DAC's in the Onkyo, or going with the Parasound?
Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
Post edited by gmorris on

Comments

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Go for it! I compared the DAC in my NAD CD player to the one in my previous Onkyo receiver (TXDS 575) and the NAD blew it away. I got an Audio Alchemy DAC about two weeks ago and it sounds better than the one on the NAD.

Maurice
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited March 2004
    Options
    I have had all of the Parasound DAC's and the only one that makes a big defference is the Ultra analog 2000. Everthing else is just a plain Burr-brown 20bit. Save your money and buy a nice SACD/DVD audio player with up-sampleing of your regular cd's.

-Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    Options
    i look at it this way. if it's a fairly inexpensive peice of gear.. i'd go for it.. you can always turn around and resell it on ebay again.. for what you paid for it. without losing anything. Who knows.. it may just be the thing that helps improve your sound.

I am using a 10 yr old DAC myself. I reallly like the sound it puts out.. much better than the DAC's in my Marantz CD player or receiver.

let us know what you decide to do.

Al
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • gmorris
    gmorris Posts: 1,179
    edited March 2004
    Options
    danger, I had thought the same thing you just said. I could always just resell it if I don' t like it.

The only thing that keeps me from jumping all over it is the fact it is 10 years old. My Onkyo is mere months old. Now, I realize the DAC's in the Onk are not top of the line, but they may be as good if not better than the 10 year old Parasound. It is a boondoggle.
    Bob Mayo, on the keyboards. Bob Mayo.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2004
    Options
    you might be right.. although i do have to say. even if it's 10 yrs old.. some of the older stuff will withstand the test of time.. and still sound good.

It is a toss up whether it will make a difference of not.

What exactly do you think a DAC will do for your sound? Is there something you don't like about your sound right now?

The sound differences won't be like night and day.. if that's what you're hoping to gain. It may make a big difference or a small one.. but good quality interconnects also help improve sound.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Gmorris,
    Newer doesn't mean better. My AA DITB and DTI combo kicks the NAD's ****. The NAD CD player is about 2 years old and the AA combo is probably 10. Same thing can be said about tube equipments. My 30+ year old Dyna is better sounding than my SS amp.

btw, what other components do you have in your system?

Maurice
  • John K.
    John K. Posts: 822
    edited March 2004
    Options
    GM, as the receiver list here shows, your 601 uses the excellent Cirrus Logic 42518, which uses 24 bit, 192KHz DACs . It's highly unlikely that the Parasound DACs are better than this. DACs have developed to the point that several companies supply equipment makers with excellent quality chips at quite low cost. You don't need a separate DAC.