nice eq?

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
what would you rec for a decent eq? something with a little more customization than a 3-band pos, but i don't need a 30-band monstrosity either; preferably something that i could choose where i mount it (dash OR stealth). and i don't know if eq's have different sq ratings, but i'll pay more for a cleaner eq.
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Can I ask why you think you need an EQ? I mean, what are you looking to achieve with an EQ?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2004
    the only mobile equipment i've got at the moment are the mm6's; the tweeters are just too powerful for my liking; now, maybe somethins wrong, but i would like to turn them down more than ive been able to: -6 dB on the xovers, -2 on my HU, and +4 to mid and bass on the HU, and the cymbals still overpower everything else (i.e. at extremely low volumes it's all i can hear, and at higher volumes, they make so much senseless noise that i can't understand the song and it sounds like ****)

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    I've never used an EQ and i would never use one...so i cant help you
    it takes too long to set up and doesnt make that much of a difference
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited March 2004
    Don't the MM6's have adjustable crossover networks? You can change the brightness of the tweeters by adjusting the crossover networks. There should be information in your owners manual about it.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    kenwood makes either a 7 or 11 band electronic equalizer -- it is din sized and fits in a double din **** dash ... it has two inputs (front and rear RCA) and has three 4 volt RCA preouts (regardless of what voltage you put in -- it spits out 4 volts to three sets... F / R / sub).

it's about 400 retail -- 175 ebay new in box.

good quality and it is the EQ that i was going to purchase if i ever did get one...

a few of the bands are parametric... a very nice piece of equipment.

www.kenwoodusa.com -- might be hard to find but its on there somewhere.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    edited March 2004
    Yeah, the Kenwood is nice. Power Acoustik used to have a nice one too. I'm not too big on Power Acoustik for thier amps and speakers but thier crossovers and EQ's are nice and fairly reasonable in price. Also, Audio Control makes some very nice units that can be a bit pricey but are clean, clear and very sensitive.

Some others to check out are Clarion, Pioneer and Rockford Fosgate.

Speed and Sound has some good prices on most, if not all of the equipment listed above including an IDQ-31 EQ which has 31 bands and is really more for competition and looks like it belongs in a home theater rack than a car. Check out the Equalizers link on the right side of the page. I still think you can clear up your problems with a crossover adjustment though.

• neomagus00
    edited March 2004
    unfortunately, the xovers are all the way down (-6dB). i do have my tweets in the stock dash locations, so they're aimed right at the windshield, that would play a part.

yeah, kenwoods got 2 11-band eq's tho - a digital and an analog version; what's the difference, other than $50? any?

• PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2004
    i'd prefer the digital display with the eq... thats just a personal opinion though...

if i were going to subject myself to "little knobb-y's" then i'd spend the extra few bones and get audiocontrol EQT's ... you'd need one per channel but damn are they nice pieces of equipment.

dude had two on ebay a while back used for $150 /pair ... the drool hadn't made it to the floor before i clicked "buy it now" but some bastid beat me to it by seconds.
  • neomagus00
    edited March 2004
    the kenwood digital is about 200 on ebay; there's a 6-channel audiocontrol eqs for 125, too. i probably wont get them yet tho, but thanx for the names.

btw, i saw a faceplate for sale while i was on ebay. doesnt that kind of remove the point of a faceplate? i.e. if a thief can just rip out my faceless headunit then buy a faceplate for $25 on ebay, why do i have a removable faceplate? hmmm...

• PoweredByDodge
    edited March 2004
    thieves have actually started stealing faces and leaving the decks - then putting the faces on ebay -- most of hte itme you end up buying back your own face.