Ice Hockey Goalie Gear

Options
jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
Anyone here play hockey/ have a lead on where to get good, gently used goalie gear at reasonable prices? I've started playing in a roller league this summer, and now the guys on my team are pushing me to play ice with them in the fall. I'd love to, but $2K worth of gear at 41 years old seems a bit steep. So any and all suggestions on where to get some gently used gear that would be more than adequate for ice would be greatly appreciated!
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Comments

• TurboGTU
    TurboGTU Posts: 187
    Options
    What all are you looking for? And what sizes? I'm 6'3" and was about 250lbs in high school I've got my old goalie gear from high school at my mom's. A lot of it is in good shape (leg pads only seen a season and a half). I'll be back there next week. I can check it out and send you some picks if your interested.
  • jflail2
    Options
    Hey man, I think your gear will be a bit big for me to be honest. I'm only 6'0" and 185lbs, so I suspect your pads would be much too large. How old is the gear? Wondering how recent everything is, as the blocker and glove may still be of use to a smaller dude like me.

• TurboGTU
    TurboGTU Posts: 187
    Options
    Newest stuff would be the leg guards which would be about 14 years. The gloves are older (especially since I got them used IIRC).
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you have a Play-it-Again sports store near you?

http://www.playitagainsports.com/

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    , gently used goalie gear at reasonable prices? !

Good luck with that....Hockey stuff is so unbelievably expensive, I don't know how parents can afford years of keeping their kid in it.

Go to your local ice rink, sometimes guys getting out of the sport post up used gear there on the boards.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jflail2
    Options
    Thanks Turbo. My blocker and glove are about the same age. The quality of protection has grown so much since I played last that it's not even the same gear. I guess I'll be going new.

Mikey, we do have a play it again here, but not a drop of goalie gear to be found. I hit the play it again in Richmond last weekend and they really didn't have anything either. I think I'd need to hit one up near northern VA to have a better chance of finding something.

Yea Tony, I've looked but there's nothing posted there right now. We're playing a spring/summer roller hockey league at the rink right now, and I've not gotten a single bite on feelers. And I couldn't agree more on pricing. Goalie gear is a whole nother level of cost, so I get the feeling I'm going to end up dropping $2K+ on some new gear in August. What I'd really like to find is a guy around my size, who bought all the gear, played one season and then realized he was in over his head in net. :)

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Probably your best coarse of action, but also the most time consuming. Yeah...lots of middle aged dudes by me get back into hockey thinking they'll play in the geezers league but even then most can't do it anymore and drop it after one season.

I've already succumbed to the fact that Hockey is best when viewed from the couch with a drink in hand.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jflail2
    Options
    Hah! Well I got back into roller a couple weeks prior to turning 41, so I'm committing to playing at least into my mid-40s if not early 50s. And honestly, it hasn't been that bad. I thought I was near death my first time out, but we're a couple months into the season and I already no longer get tired during a game. I mean, I'm a bit tired when it's done, but I'm not out there praying the clock would speed up or anything like that.

This is my last huzzah for team sports I think. It'll be boring F'ing golf after this, so I need to make hockey last as long as possible, hah.

• jflail2
    Options
    Gear is on the way. Pads, blocker, glove, pants, helmet, dangler and neck protection. Already have a cup and chesty at the house. Ice tryouts this weekend. Anyone getting pumped for hockey?

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Used to play high school hockey. Even had Phil Housley for a defenseman for a season, and Herb Brooks for a summer league coach. I have not followed the sport much since my North Stars went to Dallas...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jflail2
    Options
    Wait, THE Herb Brooks? Dude, that's pretty amazing. So is Housley for that matter. Got to play an inline game about 15 years ago against a team with Mike Hartman (former Ranger) on it down in Charlotte. He lit me up like a Christmas tree, but was a nice guy about the whole thing. And could have scored 50 more had he wanted to.

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Yep... THAT Herb Brooks. I got goaltending lessons from Jim Craig, stopped a Neil Brotten breakaway, and did my share of "herbies" when he saw something he did not like. He was as tough on the ice as he was a gentleman off of it. I miss him, and I wish I had the chance to thank him again for some of the lessons I learned those summers.

I have not spoken to Phil since high school. He was a nice kid and all, but even then, he was famous in a big way. He had an entourage that followed him around as if he was Elvis freakin Pressley.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jflail2
    Options
    That's pretty amazing man. Have you ever considered getting back into it? A fun beer league to start with or something? Sounds like you have skills for days, even if they have been rusting for a while now.

• jflail2
    Options
    Got through the first season in C league with an 11-4 record and a goals against average of 2.69, but lost in the first round of the playoffs..........in a 1-0 shootout no less.

I got drafted into B league for the winter season, so am playing for my C league team again as well as the B league team. Let up just 2 goals in each of the first B and C league games, so it's gonna be a fun season!

John, you need to get back out there man. I know the gear's an arm and 3 legs, but dude.......I haven't had this much fun in probably a decade or more. I am like a child every gameday. Hell we have a drop in skate from 9:30-11PM tonight, and the clock can't spin fast enough!

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    Options
    Do you have a Play-it-Again sports store near you?

http://www.playitagainsports.com/

+1
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • jflail2
    Options
    All good on gear now, thanks though Rob. The PIA here is.......incredibly thin on hockey gear, but for those in VA, there's a couple PIAs up near the rinks in northern VA that are constantly loaded down with equipment.

I'll be picking up a beater set of pads for the summer inline league, but am good for now.