System Advice

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys,
I have been reading posts from this site, trying to get ideas for a system for my car. Just wanted to know what you guys think of the setup.

It will be for a 95 celica hatchback.

Front Speakers:
Polk db6750 components
Rear Speakers:
Polk db675 coaxial
Head Unit:
Alpine CDA-9827
Amp:
Alpine MRP-F240
or
Phoenix Gold Tantrum 400.4

The questions I have on this is:
Should I go with the Alpine or PG Amp.
Should I run 8 gauge power wire? I will eventually get another amp for a subwoofer when I can afford it. When I do get a sub, should I go with a single 8" or a 10". I like tight bass, so I am defintely going with a sealed box.
I think i'm going to run 14 gauge speaker wire, with zero noise 3 patch cables.

any advice?

- John
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    I use an 8" in my Ram Quad Cab but thats because its such a small interior that its all I need. A Celica will have a little more interior volume than my Ram so Id suggest going with at least a 10 a probably be better with a 12.

I really like Alpine amps a lot especially their V12 series. My only **** about them is they are way, way, way overpriced. Phoenix Gold however makes competition level amps and since you can get them for a song right now Id go with those. If you can pay the extra scratch Id go with the Titanium series. They are top of the line high end and their 75x4 amp can be had for $400 on SoundDomain.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    sounds good
    that alpine is one of the few alpines i like
    id run 4gauge
    why?
    b/c if you get a sub, the 8 isnt going to do it
    but if you go with 4, you can run the sub and the other amp off of it
    this way you dont have to put down more wire
    only thing id do different is get a 100x2 amp for the front speakers and run the back off the deck
    but thats just personal preference
    macleod likes 4 channel amps
    if you were running coaxials all the way around, id get a 4 channel, but since ur running components up front, id do the 2 channel
    check out hifonics too, if i could go back and "redo" my system, id get the hifonics over my fosgates
    -Cody
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    i prefer the phoenix gold -- and i would go with 4 gauge or even 2 gauge.. if u intend to add a sub amp in the future your current needs will become far greater than they are currently (nio pun intended). as a result - why run wire twice??
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    I thought 4 gauge might have been overkill, but I think i'm going to take the advice and run 4 guage because I don't want to do it twice.

I even thought of running the rear speakers off the deck, but still buying a 4 channel amp. This way if I buy a sub, I can initially run the sub and the fronts off of the amp. Then when I scratch together more coin, buy an amp for the sub.

Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for the help guys.

- John
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    the four channel amp idea is a good one; and what kinda subs are you looking at? ie price range (do u know yet?) and what kinda music u listen to? if you're into jazz and classical, then an 8 or a 10 should be enough, while rap/hiphop and some metal needs a little more kick, so a 10 or a 12 for those (but a 10 or 12 is somewhat more $$ than an 8)
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Systems
    edited March 2004
    I listen to mostly rock, but a little bit of everything else. I would like there to be a nice kick, but I don't want it to be loose, and boomy. I haven't even started looking into sub brands/prices yet, but I would rather pay more then be unhappy with the sound and feel like I wasted my money. I'm thinking in the $300-500 range for amp and sub. Definitely one sub in a sealed box, for both space and sound reasons.

- John
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing