Bottlehead Eros Phono Preamp

After Aaron (ALL212) brought his Bottlehead Reduction Phono with Integration upgrade over to try in my system, I was hooked. I was going to order what he had, but Aaron said get the Eros instead! So I did. It works out to be around $200 more than the Reduction/Integration upgrade ($749 for the Eros, $548 for Reduction/Integration upgrade). Aaron has built quite a few Bottlehead projects, and MHardy has some of their gear too. Great stuff!

http://bottlehead.com/?product=eros-phono-preamplifier-kit

The Eros uses two EF86 tubes as first gain stage and a 6DJ8/6922/7308 output tube. One 12BH7 tube is used for the regulator. It sports a passive RIAA equalization network between the two gain stages. Per BH "The EF86 is perhaps the finest sounding low noise pentode made, being used in some exceptional microphones." The Eros has 50dB of gain versus the 40dB of the Reduction with Integration upgrade. I'll use it with a two speed diy SUT (Step Up Transformer) for my low output MC cartridge (.3mV).

I finally got the kit after a month in BH shipping limbo. Got it together, doing some testing now. My paint of choice was Rust-Oleum gloss black enamel. I need to cobble together a base next.

Ah, nothing like a cluttered bench and the smell of a hot iron with Cardas Quad Eutectic solder!

bh_eros_1.jpg

Point to point, tougher than circuit boards!

bh_eros_2.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Hurry up!

That gloss black plate is classy...wish i'da thought of that ;)

How many hours did you invest in all of the soldering? She looks a little labor intensive. I'm sure you were able to manage knowing your track record.

Ideas on the base material? Planning on matching something you already have in the rack? We, the people, demand answers!!!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Looking good, Rich. Can't wait to hear it in place.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    Damn,,what a fine talent you have sir!
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited June 2015
    mrbiron wrote: »

How many hours did you invest in all of the soldering? She looks a little labor intensive. I'm sure you were able to manage knowing your track record.

Around 7 for the soldering. The boards are easy, the cutting/stripping wires, point to point and multiple wires to boards takes some time. Great instructions though, text with close up pictures. I printed them out in color, even though I am partially color blind.

The wife helped me sort resistors (I also measure resistors and caps with my Fluke to ensure they are in spec) but I mismarked two pairs of resistors and installed them in the wrong places. Fortunately they have an ohm check page after assembly so I caught it before it may have caused damage on power up.

Thanks for the kind words, but you may take them back...lol

Either I take burn in seriously or had some troubles on startup...

eros_funny.jpg

It is making beautiful music! Once I am confident of no issues, I'll stick some finer tubes in there! IIRC the SUT set to low is 26dB, the Eros 50dB so 76dB of gain for my low output MC cart (AT33PTG/II, .3mV). I always liked to be in that 70-75dB range with LOMC carts.

bh_eros_3.jpg

I am having a base made. Aarons brother has the supplied base for sizing. I just cobbled this pine one together. Or maybe wood working isn't for me....
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Looking really nice!!

I think you should build a reduction also and after you compare the 2 you can always send me the reduction ;)

the Eros doesn't look like fun to me but it will look (and Sound) really nice next to your TT!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2015
    voltz wrote: »
    Looking really nice!!

I think you should build a reduction also and after you compare the 2 you can always send me the reduction ;)

the Eros doesn't look like fun to me but it will look (and Sound) really nice next to your TT!

Thanks! Aaron wanted me to get the Eros to compare to his Reduction/w Integration. Once I get it burned in (and not up) we'll hook up for the compare. At first I was hesitant as his Reduction sounded great in my system. The Eros was the unknown. Glad I listened to him. Maybe after hearing it, Aaron will build an Eros and sell his Reduction? lol

OH, if you do the Reduction with Integration upgrade, you end up with them servo boards mounted under the tube sockets anyway.

From the Bottlehead site... Reduction w/ Integration upgrade.

integration_upgrade1.jpg
  • voltz
    edited June 2015
    Hopefully he fall's in love with your Eros and maybe he will want one too :)

love how your plate came out, nice reflections from it B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• mrbiron
    It looks like you gave up on the finish nails and went to sheetrock screws :p

Don't let Arron talk you into anything crazy. The man is addicted to Bottlehead and modding.......bottle-modding.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    A level of woodworking skill commensurate to mine ;- )
  • SCompRacer
    edited June 2015
    Hopefully he fall's in love with your Eros and maybe he will want one too :)

love how your plate came out, nice reflections from it B)

Thanks! I like to heat the paint (bucket warm water) and plate. Seems to help minimize orange peel for me using a spray bomb.

It looks like you gave up on the finish nails and went to sheetrock screws :p

Don't let Arron talk you into anything crazy. The man is addicted to Bottlehead and modding.......bottle-modding.

The screws split the wood! Shoulda drilled plot holes I guess.... Yeah that Aaron is crazy! He's a solderin and moddin fool! ;)

Got some pics of the wood the woodsman is gonna use. Claro or crotch walnut. (No nails or screws).

Walnut%20crotch_0001.jpg
  • mrbiron
    You got nice wood :D

I think sheetrock screws will really help bring out the grain...

I hate how my box came out so this week, when i get the time, i'll be sanding the whole thing back down and starting fresh(er).
  • SCompRacer
    Progress! One coat of tongue oil. I mean Tung. My buddy Aaron (ALL212) is real funny. I asked what should I finish it with? He said Tongue oil, you get it at tattoo parlors....

bh_eros_4.jpg
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Tele-funky!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • mrbiron
    The relieved edge looks good.
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2015
    agfrost wrote: »
    Tele-funky!

Telefunken EF86! I would have liked to get some Tele EF806S but they command a high price, like ~ $280 each. Tele EF86, $100 each. Here is an informative 2002 post from the Neumann microphone forum regarding the differences between the Tele EF86 / EF806S.

http://www.neumann.com/forums/view.php?bn=neumann_archive&key=1015336865&v=f

Basically the 806S used better materials/heat treat so it became a long life 10,000 hour minimum tube for broadcast, military and medical machines like EEG/EKG. SQ is said to be the same. I got my tubes from Brent Jesse. He is like an hour away from me.

http://www.audiotubes.com/

Thanks mrbiron! I may get brave and do a 3/4" relief between the corners with a router.
  • mrbiron
    I'd say leave it alone but that's because I'm lazy ;)

You are a real pioneer affixing the burnt plywood base to your new one. Very sheik.
  • voltz
    Looking Awesome!

Tung by any other name still smells the same. err sounds the same!

• SCompRacer
    edited July 2015
    I'd say leave it alone but that's because I'm lazy ;)

I couldn't do it! I just had to get the router table out! This will make it more exciting to lift while it's plugged in!

bh_eros_6.jpg
    You are a real pioneer affixing the burnt plywood base to your new one. Very sheik.

LOL

Looking Awesome!

Tung by any other name still smells the same. err sounds the same!

Thanks!

I was gonna Tung comment further but this is a family board! :0
  • mrbiron
    That came out nice! Are you going to do anything fancy for the feet or just stick with the supplied rubbers? ;)
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Have you tried Eros (or Reduction) - DL-103r combo?
    If yes, impressions? And what SUT?
    Thanks,
    Craig
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Rich, that looks really great! I'm enjoying the MF integrated phono but my next upgrade will be a separate phono pre cause this one has its limits.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • SCompRacer
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the kind words!
    That came out nice! Are you going to do anything fancy for the feet or just stick with the supplied rubbers? ;)

I was planning on installing threaded inserts for spikes. Depending on how I rack it, I may have to use the rubber feet.

vcwatkins wrote: »
    Have you tried Eros (or Reduction) - DL-103r combo?
    If yes, impressions? And what SUT?
    Thanks,
    Craig

I do have a stock (no SoundSmith upgrades) Denon DL-103R in a Midas aluminum body mounted on another arm but haven't tried it with Aaron's Reduction/Integration upgrade or my Eros. It's only a 30 second swap to change arms so I'll put it on the list. As good as the 103r is, I prefer the AT33PTG/II. ;) The body was purchased from a member of the Lenco forum who lives in Hong Kong.

midas_1.jpg

The SUT is DIY w/CineMag red trannies I picked up cheap. Carl has the same design with the better and more expensive CineMag blues. The ground scheme follows Bob's SUT's which deviates from CineMag's suggested design. It is a two speed, 26 and 32dB, with ground lift. We did 'inny' trannies versus outside mounted. Switches are sealed silver contact signal type. Pricey, IIRC near $10 each. A good SUT can really add torque to the LOMC signal before handing it off to the MM phono stage. An SUT MM stage can sound better than using just a high dB output MC phono stage. SUT's also range from low to very, very high cost.

cinemagsut_4.jpg

carlssut_4.jpg

cinemagsut_2.jpg
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Rich, that looks really great! I'm enjoying the MF integrated phono but my next upgrade will be a separate phono pre cause this one has its limits.

There are some nice diy phono stages out there. I'd love the opportunity to try more in my system. However, when Aaron's Reduction went into the mix, it was unanimous. Carl (schwarcw), Doug (dkg999), myself, Aaron (ALL212) and Dan (DipoleDan) all loved that Bottlehead sound. It has tube qualities but is not overly tubey sounding if you know what I mean.

Matter of fact Bottlehead refers to that when they shelved the initial design; "....the circuit was deemed too tubey and dull sounding, so the simple all 6DJ8 circuit was the design we developed into the Seduction kit." They credit a later added shunt regulated power supply and C4S active loads to make it what it is. Aaron convinced me to get the Eros as it is considered a significant upgrade. After rolling some nice tubes in it, I agree!

The Tung oil continues to bring out the color and character of the crotch walnut. Hard to get that into the pics

bh_eros_7.jpg
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Fantastic info. Many thanks!
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • SCompRacer
    Happy to help!

It's got spikes...

bh_eros_8.jpg
  • mrbiron
    Sexy....paint those black to match the top! ;)
  • SCompRacer
    Several coats of hand applied Tung oil rubbed with 4 ought steel wool between coats later.......

Inside......

bh_eros_9.jpg

Outside......

bh_eros_10.jpg

Next up Bottlehead badge placement...maybe some script gold leaf lettering "Eros"...maybe leave it alone...lol
  • hochpt21
    Wow, she's a beaut!!!!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • voltz
    Wow! that turned out excellent.

Now a pair of matching Mono blocks & preamp ;)

• SCompRacer
    edited July 2015
    Thanks for the kind words!
    nbrowser wrote: »
    That beautiful woodwork does NOT deserve to even have a wee bit of it covered up with a silly badge.

I agree and took your advice! I stuck it on left side of top plate. Name on right are from package of stick on letters from Michael's.

bh_eros_11.jpg

Only thing I am waiting for is a Cardas ground lug. Jeff at Sonic Craft said Cardas discontinued their 75163 ground lug.

cardas_75163.jpg
  • hochpt21
    I've already said it a few times, but .... absolutely stunning.