Lots of Advice needed....

Gringo
Gringo Posts: 61
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey again everyone, ok ok i got a bunch of questions, so any help would be great. I was into car audio about 4 or 5 years ago, and kinda swayed away from it and got more into my home theater. So im somewhat out of the loop of whats good these days. I just have a few questions on what everyone should think i should do with my car audio setup. First, my equipment....deal with me here, its been a while and my stuff is a few years old. Right now i have boston acoustic speakers (wasnt a polk luver till recently with all my home theater speakers!) My fronts are the pro series 5.5 at 400 watts handling, my rears are 6x9's....i believe they are rm9's at around 120 watts handling. Right now i have a 4 channel earthquake amp that is 100x4. Im not real sure how good of an amp it is compared to other 4 channel amps because i bought it off my friend used and it was before i researched much, so any thougths on this amp would be helpful(i also think its a model that is no longer made and i forget off hand what the model number is, sorry.) But anyways, what i wanted to do is send more power to my fronts cause right now i have 100 watts going to them and they handle 400. So im thinking about installing another amp. I wanted some recommendations on whether or not i should bridge my 4 channel amp into 2 channels. I think i would run my rears off that and keep the gain low because i think its 200x2. I was then thinking about getting another 2 channel amp that has more power and run my fronts off of it. I was looking at some of those pheonix gold amps that were recommended on previous threads and they look pretty awesome. Keep im mind im willing to spend some cash on a amp that will make those pro series sing =)...but nothing too expensive, under 400 i guess. I guess another option id have that would be more expensive would be to get a really nice 4 channel amp, but id hate to spend the extra cash and have an amp thats useless. The only problem with installing another amp for my fronts would be that it would be my 3rd amp in my car, i also have a 1000 watt crossfire amp powering 2 jl w6's. Does anyone have a link here with info on installing a relay? When i was real into car audio i was gonna install one, and maybe put in an eq, but it looked confusing so i never gave it a shot. Also if i ran another amp, i wonder how my alternator would handle that, it doenst give me problems now, but who knows, is it hard to get a bigger alternator? oh well im gonna stop posting questions for one thread, anyone whose helpful, please let me know what you think!!!

Mike
Onkyo Tx-Sr700
Fronts: Polk Rti-70s
Center: Polk Csi-40
Surrounds: Polk Fxi-50s
Sub: SvS 20-39pci
Sony 36inch HdTv
Denon DvD-2200 Sacd/Dvd-a
Post edited by Gringo on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    dude, if those speakers handled 400 watts id **** my pants
    id check that again...
    and if they do, post a link, if its true ill **** my pants take a picture and post it on here
    anyway
    earthquake makes some killer SPL amps, but i doubt they are any good for anything but subs
    as far as an EQ goes, theyre more trouble than theyre worth IMO
    if youre going into a SQ competition, then yes, but for a daily driver, no way....WAY TOO much trouble
    PG amps are awesome
    check out Hifonics too
    www.acaraudio.com is CHEAP!!!!
    you can get great gear for next to nothing there
    along with www.sounddomain.com
    i love crutchfield, they have a great selection, a great website, great customer service, but high prices...
    i have 1800 watts RMS in my truck and have the stock alternator and one battery, im sure youll be fine
    you might want to get a bigger battery
    if you have money, optima yellow top, if youre like me, energizers make great batteries for cheap
    -Cody
  • Gringo
    edited March 2004
    Boston acoustics 5.5 pro series

Those are the components i have upfront in my car. Haha i better see that picture of you shitting yourself on here by tomorrow. J/k with ya but they are awesome speakers...and i really want to hear them when i have another 200 watts going to them. So you dont think i should get another 2 channel just to power the fronts, and use that earthquake that i have to power the rears? I mean if i have the amp, i might as well use it and get more power right? OH well, lets see what others think too i guess.
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    damnnnnnnnnnnn
    those must be LOUD
    ive never even heard of a 400 watt 5.25 speaker
    sorry for doubting you!
    only thing is those are 3 ohm speakers...
    which means your amp needs to be 3 ohm stable, if you can find it on the internet, and it lists what it is a 2ohms, then youre fine, but if it doesnt, time to worry...
    why they make 3 ohm speakers? i dunno...
    if you have the money, id get another amp and put the earthquake in the back
    hifonics i believe lists their amps at what they do at 3 ohms, so look into that
    -Cody
  • Gringo
    edited March 2004
    hey sntn,

Good news man, i just purchased myself a Hifonics Zeus ZX7500 amp to power those fronts. Ebay has amazing deals on them, i was looking on sounddomain.com which has some good prices compared to other places, but they still sold the ZX7500 for 460 i believe. I went on ebay and got the same amp brand new for 217 plus shipping was 28 bucks or something. Now all i gotta do is wait for it to get here. :)
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    im kinda weary of buying amps online, it just scares me, even new in box stuff...
    www.acaraudio.com has CHEAP prices too
    but glad to hear you got it ordered, youll have to tell us how it sounds, ive always heard that bostons have a mechanical sound to them, but extremely accurate
    hope you like everything!
    -Cody