Why Is it Clipping?!!

IS300
IS300 Posts: 26
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
You people dont seem to be very much help..but ill post this anyway.

Bought a C300.2 to drive an MM120 in the MM12 plexi box. After a week and a half..sub started to clip. It now clips whatever system i put it in. Swapped out the MM120..put in a 12" DX series in the MM12 box..clips worse. Swapped out entire single box..for a dual 12" DX box. Bass cuts out after about 15 seconds of being driven hard.

Have there been problems associated with the plexi box? The amp is rated at 550x1 and the sub im powering is 500 RMS...why am I having a problem? The amp obviously cannot handle a 2ohm load. Would I be better off getting the mono C500.1?

I am very angry at this whole thing, I pay good money to get proper components that shouldnt have a compatibility problem, and all the sudden it starts deteriorating. Yes, I know Ill have people saying you should have gotten JL or some other company, but that is irrelevant to my questions and problem.

These are fairly modest questions, which someone with some intelligent insight should not have a problem answering. If you need more information to come to a conclusion I would be happy to provide.

TIA
Post edited by IS300 on

Comments

• IS300
    IS300 Posts: 26
    edited March 2004
  • geralopez
    geralopez Posts: 115
    edited March 2004
    Contact Us
    Need some help, some audio advice, a free psychic reading* or just a few words with someone who really, really cares about you?

Polk Audio Headquarters
    Polk Audio
    5601 Metro Drive
    Baltimore, MD 21215
    410-358-3600 phone

Customer Service
    9am - 6pm, M-F, EST (USA)
    800-377-7655 toll free phone
    410-764-4817 fax

WANT EVEN BETTER SERVICE? Email us below. We'll write back. Call us. After hours, leave us a message. We'll call you back. We'll get to you even faster if you only do one or the other, no need to do both! We look forward to helping you

* NOTE - Psychic readings are not really available.
    If we were really psychic, we'd call YOU now wouldn't we?

Polk web service page

I recommend you to contact Polk directly...

-GLopez
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by IS300
    You people dont seem to be very much help..but ill post this anyway.

You know, with that kind of attitude and blatant disrespect, I'll kindly say to go **** yourself.

You want to see how little help anyone can be, you got it. I know what could be causing your problem but you just effectivly squandered your chance at getting helped.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    ehhyy Jstas don't be rude!!! I respect you a lot... but you need to understand (as well as all the polkheads, polkologist, etc) that all of us (or many of us) come here to find solutions to our car audio problems and installations doubts, specially with the Polk stuff. When we come here, we think we'll find the solution to our problems, we think that somebody form the Polk service side will answer our question, but it is not the real thing. You are one of the experimented guys in this forum and we appreciate a lot you comments. But you don't need to be like this. Look at the dates of the post of this guy, one day waiting for an answer, I believe he is thinking that somebody from Polk Service is 24/7 to answer the posts.

Well it is just my feeling, maybe I'm wrong but think about it...

-GLopez
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    You are one of the experimented guys in this forum

Maybe thats why hes pissed, not cause the guy was rude - experiments will screw anyone up
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    I understand why Jstas is pissed...
    i didnt know why his amp is clipping so i didnt post, but certainly after saying "you ppl dont seem to help much" of course im not going to try and accomadate him
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    well... i'm gonna assume that you are fairly experienced with car audio amplifiers and have checked the usuals which include...

1- the gain is too high (assuming say a 2 or 4 volt preamp output - you shouldn'thave the gain above say 50 or 60%)

2- the bass boost is not above 3 db's (if the amp has a 12 db bass boost, anything over 1/4 is too much).

3- the crossover is set properly (low pass at 70 to 100 hertz).

4- you are not playing a "Bass Machanix" cd...

assuming all of the above, there could be a couple of things wrong...

1- both of hte single subs you tested are dead.

2- there is something "bad" in your RCA patch cable line -- ie. a short or perhaps the preout itself has gone bad on the deck.

3- the amp itself just **** the bed and needs to be repaired (ie. sent back to the polkie repair center).

a good idea would be to get ahodl of a single 4 ohm coil subwoofer... dial the gain down to half of what it is normally at (such as a quarter)... hook it up and jsut see how it sounds... dont look for boom boom boom, just worry about the quality of the output signal.

if its still bad.. try throwing a cheapy radio shack RCA cable on there and see if you had a short in the RCA line or something of that nature.

then... if its still bad -- try the amp in another car, on somebody else's stuff.

if its still bad -- call polk -- get a return authorization, and i'm sure they'll speedily get you a new amp.

and loose the **** attitude.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Number one, I am a member of this forum also. This is Club Polk not Polk Audio Customer Service. There is an 800 number for that. The customer service guys graciously check the forums and help out when they are needed. If you need immediate assistance, Polk Audio maintains the customer service line. Otherwise, one will have to deal with the help they get here.

Number two, no one has all the answers but everyone here will sure as hell do thier very best to help anyone out and find the answer. If anyone here doesn't jump to attention and bend over backwards instantly then that is entirely understandable. Again this is Club Polk and if you need Polk Audio Customer Service, call the number.

Number three, no one has treated IS300 with disrespect and everyone who has the know-how has tried to help IS300 already with the questions that were posted before this thread. If IS300 is ungrateful for the help then IS300 will not receive help anymore. It's called common courtesy and respect. Don't smack a hand that is reached out to help you, bottom line.

Number four, patience is a virtue. Good things come to those who wait. One cannot post a question at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon and expect instantaneous response. People have lives and other things to do besides whiling away the hours on Club Polk forums waiting to pounce on every question that is posted.

Lastly, neomagnus00, I don't know what your problem is but your post is waaaaay outta line. I don't appreciate the comments made about me or geralopez for that matter. I'm betting English is not geralopez's first language. Given that fact, it can be expected that he will understandably either mispell or misuse words in the English language. It's not a bad thing just something that should be kept in mind when interacting with forum participants. Since Polk Audio sells speakers that eventually reach overseas and outside the borders of the U.S., certain concessions to cultural differences and language barriers should be extended. I believe your post was rather insensitive tp that effect and you don't know me well enough to be able to take a shot at me like that.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    Jstas you are right, English is not my native language, and of course, I misspelled some words and several times I use words in the wrong way. Some times it is dificult to me to express something in the correct way. I was trying to said: "Experienced" and not: "Experimented" as I wrote. I always use the spelling tool (in the outlook express mail) before to post my comments but it doesn't warranty anything.

Anyway I just want to be part of this forum and surely I will be participating continuously.

Thank you

-GLopez
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2004
    A hardy "Hell Yeah" to Jstas' comments!

You start out a post with, "You guys are all morons but Ill do you a favor and let you try and help me figure out how I wired my amp wrong" and then act suprised when you are told to stick it up your ****? What did you expect.

Maybe you should try Car Audio Forum. There are a bunch of real smart people over there and Im sure they can help you. In fact Im sure there is a real stimulating discussion going on over there right now on which 32" sub is the loudest. Well, ED of course! :rolleyes:
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    jstas - at least where i come from, a little friendly sarcasm is accepted as a form of humor (look, it's here too!) and as long as it's said in jest, no big deal; my bad for offending you, i obviously made an incorrect assumption that i shouldn't have.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    I'm not sure what's up with this guy (IS300), but I can see in his post history (Search button) he is starting to be frustrated b/c he bought a used stuff or something like that, then he posted some questions and no body answered or somebody sent him to the hell (right here, LOL).