MKV streaming help needed

Options
OK guys, need some help figuring out how to handle movie playback in my bedroom. I want to be able to playback my MKV rips in my bedroom. I plan on buying a 4TB HGST (yes @ZLTFUL I do listen to you) drive to put in my main computer and to use it to stream from to the bedroom. Right now I will have to do it wirelessly, but I have a wireless N card in my computer, and the router I have is wireless N as well, and they are about 20 feet apart (but 4 walls between). Eventually I will be hardwiring it, but not an option now.

Here is where I need help. I need to be able to do the following:

1. Playback movies.
2. Control what movies are playing via an app on my phone, or some other device so I dont have to be in the room to play them
3. Be able to switch what movies are playing via my phone....

How do I accomplish that?

Plex w a Roku I already own, XBMC/Kodi box, Chromebox running OpenELC etc...

My MKV rips are NOT compressed at all so I'd prefer something that doesnt have to have it decoded which will take longer to then stream....

Thoughts appreciated....
"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    Will the Roku or your WD boxes not do the trick? What are you wanting to do that neither of those boxes can handle?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The current WD Live TV is hardwired to a 3 TB drive in my living room....

But another one in the bedroom could then playback the stuff from my hard drive in the computer.

The ONLY problem is the inability to control and browse the library in another room.

The goal is to switch movies for my daughter from downstairs without having to see the TV.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)