i2s - Lovin' it!

Options
So who here is currently running i2s to their DAC? I just made the jump a couple weeks ago and I'm really loving it. I've been enamored with Audio GD DACs for a few years now (have owned the NFB-7, NFB-8, and original DI), and recently upgraded to the Master 7. This is a seriously awesome DAC: 8 x PCM1704 (4 per channel), R2R, with USB input, SPDIF inputs, and (2) i2s inputs, (1) RJ45 and (1) HDMI.

I just got an Audio GD DI-2014 to use as my USB > i2s transport via HDMI. What's interesting is that the DI and Master 7 use the same USB input and driver, but using the DI to convert to i2s sounds markedly better than going USB straight into the DAC.

This is the best digital I've heard. Still tweaking the jumpers in the DAC to mess with stopband, oversampling, dither, PLL, etc, but I'm pretty close to perfect. Definitely set on no oversampling (NOS).

So who's using i2s? What does your setup look like?

Here's mine:

PC > foobar2000 via ASIO > USB out > AGD DI-2014 > i2s out via HDMI > AGD Master 7.
2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's

Comments

• bikerboy
    bikerboy Posts: 1,207
    Options
    I've been using and preaching the benefits of i2s for years. Twisted pear audio has been using i2s as the main connectivity in their dacs for a long time. To me it is not as bright as spdif. I use a Amanero usb to I2S converter with a Salas ps. Best sound ever from the pc.
    Main system: Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 w/ Pioneer 42" plazma-> Polk LSiM 703 w/Tivo, Marantz tuner, BRPTT: Nothingham Spacedeck-> Pioneer PL L1000 linear arm-> Soundsmith DL 103R-> SUT->Bottlehead ErosDigital: I3 PC w/ Jriver playing flac -> Sonore Ultrarendu -> Twisted Pair Audio ESS 9028 w/ Mercury IVY Vinyl rips: ESI Juli@24/192-> i3 PC server
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    @SCompRacer is using that from his Denon 3910 to his Twisted Pear DAC IIRC.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited June 2015
    Options

Plus SComp has an epic pair of SoundScape 8's which doesn't hurt at all. Bet that system sounds sweet.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • falconcry72
    Options
    bikerboy wrote: »
    I've been using and preaching the benefits of i2s for years. Twisted pear audio has been using i2s as the main connectivity in their dacs for a long time. To me it is not as bright as spdif. I use a Amanero usb to I2S converter with a Salas ps. Best sound ever from the pc.

Nice. What DAC chip is in the Pear you're using?

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2015
    Options

And the SB Touch! Via Twisted Pear Teleporter, one to send one to receive in DAC. The Denon 3910 will also output DSD (SACD) through its Teleporter.

touch_i2s_2.jpg

Plus SComp has an epic pair of SoundScape 8's which doesn't hurt at all. Bet that system sounds sweet.

Thanks! I kind of dig them...the newly acquired Ref 3 pre amp didn't hurt either. ;)

IMO, once upon a time anyway, DAC chips determine how much bang you get from I2S versus SPDIF. The ESS Sabre32 Reference (ES9018) DAC chip decodes SPDIF differently than other DAC chips; it dos not rely entirely upon the embedded clock. Thus you may not get a huge difference. Of course much depends on implementation of either I2S or SPDIF. Lots of diy and retail goodies to reclock the I2S or SPDIF signal before handing it off to DAC chip!

I'm mostly PC > Touch I2S > diy Dual Mono Twisted Pear Buffalo III DAC (discrete balanced output).

I can be PC USB > DAC, and Denon 3910 (CD - I2S or SACD - DSD) > DAC. The DAC is remote control for input but there is a switch I must manually flip on the Denon when outputting DSD. It flips the R and L channels of SACD. They use some of the same circuits as I2S, but SACD ends up with reversed channels so I had to fix that.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • falconcry72
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

And the SB Touch! Via Twisted Pear Teleporter, one to send one to receive in DAC. The Denon 3910 will also output DSD (SACD) through its Teleporter.

touch_i2s_2.jpg

Thanks! I kind of dig them...the newly acquired Ref 3 pre amp didn't hurt either. ;)

IMO, once upon a time anyway, DAC chips determine how much bang you get from I2S versus SPDIF. The ESS Sabre32 Reference (ES9018) DAC chip decodes SPDIF differently than other DAC chips; it dos not rely entirely upon the embedded clock. Thus you may not get a huge difference. Of course much depends on implementation of either I2S or SPDIF. Lots of diy and retail goodies to reclock the I2S or SPDIF signal before handing it off to DAC chip!

I'm mostly PC > Touch I2S > diy Dual Mono Twisted Pear Buffalo III DAC (discrete balanced output).

I can be PC USB > DAC, and Denon 3910 (CD - I2S or SACD - DSD) > DAC. The DAC is remote control for input but there is a switch I must manually flip on the Denon when outputting DSD. It flips the R and L channels of SACD. They use some of the same circuits as I2S, but SACD ends up with reversed channels so I had to fix that.

Good stuff. I've owned/evaluated (3) different ES9018-based DACs: Wyred4Sound DAC2, Audio GD NFB-7, and McIntosh D-100. They all sound different, which tells me how important the power supply and analog output stages are. The AGD NFB-7 blows the others away... even the Mac. My new AGD DAC (Master 7) uses the famous PCM-1704 chip (8 of them) in an R2R (not sigma delta) implementation. It sounds brilliant when fed i2s. Simply... real.

Hey nice pickup on the Ref-3, BTW! I recently acquired an LS-26, which was a BIG improvement over the LS-15 I was using previously. I believe both of our preamps use 6H30's for the gain/output stage, but mine is a hybrid with a JFET input and SS power supply whereas you are all tube.

Yea I love me some Salks. My dad has a pair of HT3's and I'm alsways amazed by them. That RAAL ribbon is special. And the bass! Good stuff.

Cheers.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I’ve been impressed with Audio GD builds. This is yours correct?

NFB7.321.JPG

I went wild with power supplies in my DAC. Four are hot running shunting supplies, that is adjusted 100mA over max power required. Two feed each DAC board, the other two two feed Right and Left channel output (15v + and -). Two linear supplies power input cards (5v) and the Arduino processor/LCD display (12v). Due to diy components, you end up with a larger chassis than a designer who can incorporate more stuff on a single board. Despite that, I've yet to hear a DAC that I want to replace it with.

pesante_8.jpg

With the Arduino processor, I have total control over inputs, 32 bit volume (if desired) and all DAC chip adjustments (Fir and Lir filter, DPLL, Quantizer and Notch). I can save best settings for each input (DSD, SPDIF, I2S) so I don't have to mess with them when switching. An Apple remote provides remote control.

pesante_6.jpg

The discrete balanced output board is a Twisted Pear Legato. It sports a high quality plug in op amp SE out and a real decent headphone out.

legato_3_full_thumb.jpg

Congrats on that LS-26! Yes my pre has four 6H30 tubes. Such amazing sound from a relatively inexpensive tube set.

Ht3’s are a great speaker. Love the Raal, it begs for no roll off of the highs. Many SS8 owners are moving to the Exotica 3’s with Alnico magnet SEAS mid and tweeter, two 8” powered Rythmik servo woofers. I’m happy with the SS8’s.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *