Polk Audio car speakers any good?

Options
Well the Pioneer coaxials in my truck died this morning on the way to work they were 15 years old and I new it was coming sooner or later so went to get the replacements listened to some Kickers, some JBLs, liked those pretty much, I was able to demo those they had these Polks but I'm not able to demo them has anyone had the pleasure of hearing these paticular ones, or perhaps own them.

They will be hooked up to a Kenwood receiver 20 watts a side no amp but I seen a 50 watt kenwood amp that I might get if needed. Thoughts anyone on these Polks?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-audio-6-1-2-coaxial-vehicle-speakers-with-bilaminate-polymer-composite-cones-pair-black/8804054.p?id=1218895847094&skuId=8804054
Home Theater
Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)

Comments

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    No one's heard these? I hate making a purchase without hearing them, I just might have to relive my youth and get the JBL coaxils.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Well, per your link, they have 4.7 stars (out of a possible 5) from 106 customer reviews, with 96% of the reviews being 4 or 5 stars. I'd say that's sufficient positive feedback to give them a shot....especially for a Polk fan boy who raves about his Boom Swimmer! :wink:

If they turn out to not be your cup o' tea, BB has a pretty liberal return policy.

I say, "Go for it!" Then, let us know what you think.

You'll be even more "Polk'd out" than you already are.

I see you changed your sig to include the 2.3TL (Z) Edition.....Nice! :smiley:
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I always liked Polk vehicle speakers, but haven't bought any in around 12yrs or so. back then I didn't really know what I'd be listening for anyway. still have the vehicle and stereo, but I don't drive it much; needs some work.

they were a 4" component set for the front, and I used 6.5" in the rear extracab sides of an early gen Toyota 4wd along with a 5ch Directed amp and 8" JL Audio Microsub. it was nice; not boomy, just filled it out.

I'm a proponent of amplification for vehicle stereos. In my limited experience, I've never had a stereo sound good with speakers straight off the deck. I'd try to get close to getting the specced RMS rating delivered to the speakers, but I'm not at all an expert by any means. personally, I've been reasonably satisfied in this method, though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Well the best buy on the Illinois side had the Polks hooked up to demo and they sounded pretty good but the bass was more emphasized than the mids and highs to my ears the JBL'S were the ones I liked better not as much bass as the Polks but all around better sounding to my ears.

The Kenwood deck I have has a built in mosfet amp in it and will easily drive these JBL'S so I chose them, plus I won't have to modify the door panels to make the Polks fit, these JBL'S will fit right in.
    http://m.jbl.com/products/GX502_JBL_US

I wanted to like the Polks better but just didn't this time around.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head