Issues with my SRT tissues

Hello, both of my SRT sub-woofers have a couple problems that others have encountered and I am wondering how to go about getting them fixed. The first issue is with a rattling noise from both bass boxes while playing fun bass laden movies and or music. When I remove the rear amp/cover the rattle is more noticeable, possibly bad spider/voice coil connections. The other is a humming noise they make while waiting for something to do. I thought they might be humming because they don't know the words, but I gave them a lyric sheet and this did not correct the problem so I'm thinking it's something else, possibly bad caps. Any help in correcting these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. In all likelihood all four of the woofers need to have their spiders repaired. Send an email to Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com he is the customer service manager. He will give you information on where to box up the woofers and send them.
    He can also help with available service on the bass amplifiers.
    Best regards, Ken
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Ken is right on both accounts. The SRT's had known spider issues on the subwoofer drivers. You can try to fix them on your own but if it isn't too much of a burden to ship them to Polk, they'll be done right. The power caps in your plate amps are now going on 16 years old and likely need to be replaced. Make sure when you ship them to Polk that you pack them like they are irreplaceable....because they are.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • Thank you for the replies Kenneth Swauger and dpowell, there is good info in both. I look forward to unboxing and reinstalling the drivers and amps. As soon as I received the info from Ken I sent a message to Kim.Jasper@soundunited.com, unfortunately I still haven't heard back from Kim so I am resending my message today. I agree with the irreplaceable value of the amps dpowell as I was originally looking for replacement amps (and drivers) before I found this site. There isn't anything available with the same dimensions or power ratings. My Yamaha DSP AX1 has three sub outputs, Left, Right and Mono. I have the SRT subs hooked up Left and Right respectively and a Velodyne F-1500 to the Mono output. Right now I am using only the Velodyne as the SRT's inject unwanted noise during quiet music passages or movie moments and that rattle might add more realism to explosions but is not natural with bass guitar or drums. However, I absolutely love and miss the visceral impact the SRT subs produce that shake your clothes and rattle the couch! I can hardly wait to get these back online and rattle my cage once again.
  • Yay! The ball is rolling. Kim got hold of me yesterday to get more info, today he informed me they will be able to repair them and where to send them. Thank you Polk for Hosting such a wonderful resource (this site) to make things like this happen! I'm so excited and I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.