The 2.3tl quest begins!!!

Options
2»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,542
    Options
    This thread is so hot it keeps killing my iPhone Chrome app whenever I try to view it lol....

Glad they are still in the family, and that ryan has visitation rights :smile:
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    ...thanks Skip for motivating me, if not for you I wouldn't of got em (lol)

Ahem!... :neutral:
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    Options
    teekay0007 wrote: »
    ...thanks Skip for motivating me, if not for you I wouldn't of got em (lol)

Ahem!... :neutral:

Terry you started the fire and got me thinking about them, and even though I knew you would be upset with me had I backed out you knew I would go through with it. Skip only sealed the deal by calling the others tiny. I Also know that your the reason for the wallet being much lighter, and the reason it's Mac & Cheese and PBJ's on the menu the next few months.

I would still like to give credit where credit is due and yes Terry you are responsible for the fine eats we will be consuming until I can reload. I will think about you every time I'm listening to them thank you for the heads up :)
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Terry you started the fire and got me thinking about them, and even though I knew you would be upset with me had I backed out you knew I would go through with it. Skip only sealed the deal by calling the others tiny. I Also know that your the reason for the wallet being much lighter, and the reason it's Mac & Cheese and PBJ's on the menu the next few months.

I would still like to give credit where credit is due and yes Terry you are responsible for the fine eats we will be consuming until I can reload. I will think about you every time I'm listening to them thank you for the heads up :)

Just pullin' your chain, Steve! I KNEW they were EXACTLY what you wanted, thus the texts, phone calls, PMs and smoke signals. I'm very happy they are at your house now and that you're enjoying them. :smiley:

Nuttin' wrong with mac and cheese and PB&Js...It's like you're back in college, 'cept now ya got some B.A. speakers to enjoy!

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Behind the 3.1tl, which I think is the true gem of the SDA line now that I've heard them, the 2.3tl impresses me most. I have heard many say that is the best spot to be at, and I can't really argue against them. I haven't had a chance to hear the 1.2tl, but the 2.3tl is definitely big enough where I don't think the 1.2tl's are needed in 98% of applications.

To add, the improvements made by modifications are not subtle. They are freaking phenomenal when you go all out on them. The 3.1tl is the best stock SDA I've heard, even bettering modded CRS+ and SDA1C's, but I'm not sure how the 3.1tl will stack up against a fully modded 2.3tl after mods are completed.

So you like them? For some reason I thought you didn't like any of the vintage Polks.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Behind the 3.1tl, which I think is the true gem of the SDA line now that I've heard them, the 2.3tl impresses me most. I have heard many say that is the best spot to be at, and I can't really argue against them. I haven't had a chance to hear the 1.2tl, but the 2.3tl is definitely big enough where I don't think the 1.2tl's are needed in 98% of applications.

To add, the improvements made by modifications are not subtle. They are freaking phenomenal when you go all out on them. The 3.1tl is the best stock SDA I've heard, even bettering modded CRS+ and SDA1C's, but I'm not sure how the 3.1tl will stack up against a fully modded 2.3tl after mods are completed.

I can definitively say that comparing the 2.3TL's modded with Sonicap/Mills and 3.1TL's modded with Sonicap/Mills, the 2.3TL's definately win every time, IMO.

As Jesse stated a few years hence, "more of everything".

Do not get me wrong however, I love the 3.1TL's also, but the 2.3TL's win the battle overall.

The 3.1TL's do have slightly more precise pinpoint imaging (maybe) due to the single tweeter (possibly) but the overall soundstage in depth and width is better from the 2.3TL's. Also, the bass outdoes the 3.1TL's.

This was a direct comparison using the same equipment in the same room.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    IME the 2.3TL's sound huge as long as they're given space. They fill a room like no other speaker I've heard, and yet don't shout or call attention to themselves sonically. They have a relaxed, precise sound that makes them so easy to listen to. Then there's the imaging.

Having said all that I haven't heard the 3.1TL's, so I can't compare. With my 2.3TL's, my speaker search is on permanent hiatus.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    headrott wrote: »

I can definitively say that comparing the 2.3TL's modded with Sonicap/Mills and 3.1TL's modded with Sonicap/Mills, the 2.3TL's definately win every time, IMO.

As Jesse stated a few years hence, "more of everything".

Do not get me wrong however, I love the 3.1TL's also, but the 2.3TL's win the battle overall.

The 3.1TL's do have slightly more precise pinpoint imaging (maybe) due to the single tweeter (possibly) but the overall soundstage in depth and width is better from the 2.3TL's. Also, the bass outdoes the 3.1TL's.

This was a direct comparison using the same equipment in the same room.

Greg, Your impressions mirror mine, I do prefer the 3.1's in a smaller space, but overall the 2.3TL's rule.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Come on Steve...how am I to live vicariously through you with my babies when you aren't posting constant impressions! ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,068
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I was just going to post in MSGs thread that I don't notice much movement in the mids unless I turn them up quite a bit the same goes with the 2B's and on bass heavy tracks they move on both speakers somewhat.

I listened to the new Mark Knopfler Tracker CD last night in the sweet spot 5 feet away and they brought tears to my eyes along with a s..t eating grin, your babies I will refer to them as my 2.3tls (Z) edition image like no other speaker I heard before sure the stock 2Bs sounded great but these 2.3tls (Z) edition are on another level.

I like stuff like Norah Jones, Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, good vocals sound excellent on these, when I recoup on some funds these babies deserve a Marantz SACD player. Z you did good, I will change my Sig after an afternoon of yard work the sun is actually out. Hannelore says howdy by the way!
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Tell her I said hi!
    Wait...don't you have grandkids? The yard work is their job while you enjoy a cold beverage and some tasty tunes! ;)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip