Specific volume for MM6 sealed enclosure

geralopez
geralopez Posts: 115
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
What is the specific volume required in the case of use a MM6 speaker in a sealed enclosure. (I know it was asked before but never answered).
I have enough space in the front doors as well as in the rear deck. Also I know a lot of people doesn't like to install speakers in the rear deck, but I will. I want to do this at least in the rear, where is more easy to do cause the 300M has a preformed metal enclosure that actually is open for some holes but they can be closed easily doing some small changes. I need as exact as possible the right volume to convert this "built-in" open enclosure in a sealed enclosure. It is like 2 to 3 cu.ft. available for the total metal enclosure volume but I can put a some walls and to make 2 independent enclosures for each speaker.
I have calculated in BassBox6 Pro Software a MM6 response according the MM6 technical manufacturer data and a box according the available space (5.5" x 6" x 9") in the rear deck. It give me as result this: Vb: 0.157 cu.ft @ F3: 90.21 Hz.
How do you see this values?
I'm attaching a PDF report, I hope somebody can read it and give me their opinion if I need to change something or it is OK.

As always I said:

Thanks for you help and kindly opinion...

-GLopez

(PD: I have posted this question in the custom fabrication but looks like there is not to much traffic and here is counting down to the 10,000 posts)
Post edited by geralopez on

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    I don't know man. Judging by your numbers, it looks like it'll have better frequency response without the enclosure. You may want to try and port the box in the design and see what it does for you or maybe make the box bigger? It looks like the enclosure is tuned to 90 Hz and to audibly reach the speaker's 50 Hz low end, you are going to have to have a -12 dB crossover boost and that is going to sound like total crap.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    Well, let me go back to the beginning, it was only a trial but if that numbers are wrong, What numbers I need to find the right sound response? I can play changing the box dimensions.
    Attached is a pic of the metal box in the rear deck. I checked the real dimension of the box and they are: 4-3/8" H x 51" W x 8" D (0.992 cu.ft total).
    I can divide the box for each speaker or to build a unique sealed box.

-GLopez
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Well, first off, I never said they were the wrong numbers. If you got them off the website then they are the correct numbers. I don't know why you think I said they were wrong but, I didn't. All I said was that the speaker box in your plans is going to artificially limit the frequency response of your speakers. You will get a better curve from a free-air mounting.

As far as the numbers for your box, try plugging the numbers to the actual mounting area into the program you have. Two 6.5 inch drivers in a .992 cubic foot box will make a big difference over one driver in a .157 cubic foot box.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • geralopez
    edited March 2004
    I was talking about box numbers not the parameters, they are OK cause I took them from the polk web and the owner manual, but I didn't find the volume for a MM6 in a sealed box anywhere. I think you are right, I have recalculated the response and now here are the results: