Single 95% bare copper shielding or 100% AL foil/AL braid double shielding??

Which of these would be better suited/ better performing for sub cables??
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Comments

• Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited May 2015
    You should be fine with either, with both being good choices as you want as much shield coverage as you can get. I personally try not to use foil shielded wire in cabling that will take a lot of bending or flexing (think guitar cables) as this can crimp and break the foil. I use foil shielded cable in permanent installation cables that are used in walls. In a sub cable that most likely will stay in place forever, I see no issues with either. I prefer high quality copper if I can get it, but the aluminum would be good for your application.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    I got ya. Based on what you said, Im thinking Ill go with the copper shielded cable...more conductive and thus better from the little a read about online.
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• Speedskater
    Speedskater Posts: 495
    For long RCA unbalanced interconnects, always go with a heavy copper braid.
    As low end-to-end resistence of the shield/return is very important.
    Henry W. Ott (industrial noise expert) writes about this "common-impedance coupling" problem.

"Balanced vs. Unbalanced Audio System Interconnections" (pdf file)
    http://www.hottconsultants.com/pdf_files/Audio Interconnections.pdf

more from Henry Ott
    http://www.hottconsultants.com/
  • felipe
    felipe Posts: 423
    Interesting articles. Thanks Speedskater :). Even though my runs aren't long, I'm still going with the copper shielded one...