help-about my system

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
i already have sony head unit,tweeter,mid range speakers and 6x9 3 way sony speaker at rear.
can anyone suggest me anything to improve my audio system?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    get rid of your sony stuff and replace it with decent stuff
    not trying to mean, just telling the truth
    the obvious thing is to get a sub
    -Cody
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2004
    I had all Sony speakers and amps, and just last week I bought all Polk/Momo speakers. The Polks are so much better than the Sony, get rid of all your Sony stuff and spent a little more for Polks and you won't be disapointed.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Well considering the cost you are looking at for replacing ALL of your Sony equipment, I think some concessions can be made.

Number one, while most of the Sony stuff is of atrocious quality and performance for it's cost, the head units really aren't all that bad, just a little over-priced. You can probably keep that.

Since rear speakers are not as important as front speakers, You can probably keep the 6x9's too. At least until you have enough of a budget to replace them.

What I would do is get a 4 channel amp, a set of Polk Audio components up front and a single 10 or 12 inch sub with 250-350 watts of power from a mono amp for it. I seriously recommend the Polk Audio speaker because my past experience with other people's setups is that the Sony speakers, while not as clean and accurate as the Polk Audio speakers, they do have a very similar voice to them. They blend well with the Polk Audio speakers. So either the MOMO or DB speakers up from would work well.

As far as the sub goes, I'd say an MM2104 in a sealed box with 300 watts behind it would do you alot of good in giving you that good, kicking bottom end.

Amp recommendations, I'm going to have to go and recommend some Hifonics Warrior series amps.

For the 4 channel amp, I really like this Eagle 4 channel amplifier. It's 50 watts x 4 channels and it would do a good job of powering some MOMO Carbon series coaxials or DB components and those Sony 6x9's would be a breeze for that amp.
    HIFEAGLE_1.jpg

For the sub amp, I have two recommendations.

First is the Hifonics Merlin amplifier which is 200W x 1 at 4 ohms but it's most likely under-rated.
    HIFMERLIN_1.jpg

The other option is a Hifonics Falcon which pushes 280 watts x 1 when bridged.

HIFFALCON_1.jpg

One good idea for a sub amp is this Hifonics Gen XI Samson Which pushes an even 300w x 1 bridged.

HIFSAMSON_1.jpg

Now the Warrior series amps are old designs from Hifonics and basically what Hifonics built thier name. Very nice, very clean amps for the price. Compact and powerful too. I used these amps in an install I did way back in 1994 time frame. They are very impressive and sounddomain.com has them on sale for bargain prices! That Gen-XI series amp is last year's model and also on sale a good buy for the price. The Gen-XI amps have robust power supplies and are very clean. Because of this, one can rest assured that they are under-rated. However, too much clean power is ok and you shouldn't worry about an extra 20-50 watts on a sub if it is clean power.

If you do end up pulling your Sony stuff out, hock it on eBay to get some of your money back. The price you can probably get for the Sony speakers alone will cover the Warrior series amps.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!