My 2 ch is re-born

Options
reeltrouble1
reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
With hardly a wimper or ribbon cutting some equipment long idle did play music last night. I picked up a used intergrated Marantz from Ken Dresher that he has had for a while on the cheap, added a Pioneer tuner I got from Faster, plugged in my old Technics dual cassette and the even older Kenwood TT KD-40R. Here is a pic of the Marantz PM 730.

Best of all the RT55i speakers which I have not used for a while were singing again. The Marantz outputs 70 wpc and says it is stable to 4 ohm, I listened for about two hours and was pleased with it, however I am still trying to figure out some of the buttons. There are two filters that say "subsonic and high" 12 db octave, when I used them I did not notice any big change, trying to determine if they are supposed to add or takeaway.:confused: but I would thing a filter would take something away.

My turntable needs some work and will be a labor of love or junked, I listened to Dylan and the rest of the Byrds, I really enjoyed hearing, My Back Pages, brought back a real deja vu, I have had this album for over 35 years. The cartridge is pretty much shot since it is original and the direct drive spins just a tad fast at times, I need to adjust the tonearm and fooled with it a bit but cant remember much about the settings for it. Enjoyed pulling out all the old vinyl and giving it a look.

The cassette still works fine as it hardly ever got used, listened to BB King do the blues.

The rig is set up in my yet un-named garage room (I have a huge garage that can still hold three cars), but definately a cave sort of thing. Wires and cables are nothing special yet, but still, it was great to be in the room. I think it will be just for music, I also set up my guitar rig, but no video.
Post edited by reeltrouble1 on

Comments

• reeltrouble1
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Does anybody know what these did? Hook some type of remote?
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2004
    Options
    hard to tell from that pic, but according to the unusual colors im assumming it was to connect the matching componets for that integrated at the time.. ie: tape player, tuner, or phono ????
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited March 2004
    Options
    The sub-sonic filter was used to reduce speaker cone "excursion" from turntable rumble. High-filters--you got me, why they ever had these on audio equipment is beyond me--maybe to reduce cassette tape hiss?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reeltrouble1
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Faster,

Yea, the pic of the back really stinks, it has inputs for two phono, two tape decks, tuner etc. besides those orange and green inputs, they are not full sized RCA plugs but some kind of mini-plug, well really no matter since I do not need them.

Steve,

Thanks for the info on the subsonic, why you would want to filter the highs who knows, maybe just something to advertise? There are still the standard loudness, bass, and treble controls separate from the filters.

RT1--Out :)
  • faster100
    faster100 Posts: 6,124
    edited March 2004
    Options
    My kenwood integrated has loudness and a subsonic switch... What i researched was the subsonic filter was to limit extreme low bass from damageing your speakers, or something to that effect, Ie: if your useing small bookshelf type speakers that can't handle the low bass.. i leave mine on, and loudness on unless i turn it up a bit,
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp