My 2BTL Upgrade

Options
After having my 2b's for a couple months and after a lot of questions posted on this forum, I decided to throw my hat into the ring and upgrade to the TL Mod. VR3 Mods a.k.a. Trey walked me through my options and built me some beautiful new crossovers and new internal wiring. Prior to the crossover mod, I dynamatted the baskets, installed hurricane nuts, replaced the gaskets and spiked the cabinets.

I must say that the change in sound is beyond my expectations. I know from reading other posts that the sound will only improve over time. One of the most remarkable changes is the clarity of the RDO-198 tweeters. Crisp, clean and bright. The new SDA connection along with the new crossovers have also appeared to open up the sound stage quite a bit.

Thanks again Trey for all the advice and the insane workmanship on the crossovers.

Here are a few pictures. (I did the install in my garage so I apologize in advance for the clutter) Not sure how to rotate the pictures...

r3joovvskucl.jpg

fwz20mruiqez.jpg

3shd7ddklftw.jpg

0qbh8axt1k6o.jpg

gwu18w0leuv4.jpg

Comments

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    Wow.. the pics are great Trey knows workmanship impressive.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    Looks great. Keep us posted as to what you hear as things burn in.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    How did you mount the large inductor to the floor? Looks like zip-tied to a piece of Lexan, then attached using what? I've TL'd my 2Bs, but have a summer project of going back to install the entire complement of inductors...

Thanks. Looks really nice.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • Jasper67
    Jasper67 Posts: 33
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Trey fastened the inductor to the square piece of plastic and included 8 "stand offs" (black pieces) with the inductors. I used some RTV sealant to secure the "stand offs" to the plastic prior to placing them in the cabinet. Pre-drilled each hole with a small bit and screwed the assembly to the bottom of the cabinet.

Also per Trey's instruction, I kept the original inductors and used them for a mounting surface for the new crossovers.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,098
    Options
    I am glad to hear everything is sounding great! :) I look forward to the 250 hour review!

Thank you again!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • agfrost
    Options
    Thanks Jasper.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Very nice, I didn't go all the way w/ mine but it sure made a huge difference. Good luck burn um in.....
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Jasper67
    Options
    Update...I don't have a hour meter but I am guessing that I'm at about 100 hours. It's really difficult to say that the sound is better than when I first listened to them after the TL mod since I don't have a good way to compare the sound. I will say that they sound absolutely amazing! I am hearing details that I was only able to hear in head phones in the past. Example...I listened to Meddle by Pink Floyd over the weekend and I was completely blown away! It's hard to imagine the sound getting any better, but if it does...wooo hooo...
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Enjoy and keep listening , my 10's really got better after 200+ so they should keep getting better.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    Jasper67 wrote: »
    I used some RTV sealant to secure the "stand offs" to the plastic prior to placing them in the cabinet.
    Let's hope the RTV cured before going into the cabinet.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Update...I don't have a hour meter but I am guessing that I'm at about 100 hours. It's really difficult to say that the sound is better than when I first listened to them after the TL mod since I don't have a good way to compare the sound. I will say that they sound absolutely amazing! I am hearing details that I was only able to hear in head phones in the past. Example...I listened to Meddle by Pink Floyd over the weekend and I was completely blown away! It's hard to imagine the sound getting any better, but if it does...wooo hooo...

Love Meddle on my modded 2B.s. Does San Tropez sound killer or what!?

• Jasper67
    Options
    Schurkey wrote: »
    I used some RTV sealant to secure the "stand offs" to the plastic prior to placing them in the cabinet.
    Let's hope the RTV cured before going into the cabinet.
    Why do you say that Schurkey? I'm sure it wasn't cured.
  • agfrost
    Options
    IIRC, RTV offgassing is corrosive in nature and can be harmful to metals, adhesives, other materials. There may be different kinds of RTV so check your label for more information.
    Jay
  • Jasper67
    Options
    Too late to do anything about it, correct?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,492
    Options
    beautiful! I bet these do sound amazing.

in the future, if ever concerned about cure times, maybe consider The Right Stuff, by Permatex. comes in like a spray-cheese can. sets up fast, stays pliable.

I just did some quick reading re: the corrosion. apparently the corrosion can take a couple of weeks? if concerned, maybe pull the drivers and air the cabinet out, prob some positive ventilation. inspect for film/damage on your crossovers and components?
    I disabled signatures.