Rythmik FV15hp setup

Options
So what's new?! For me I have ordered a pair of Rythmik FV15HP subs, when a deal went sour with a local dealer for those svs pb13ultras I initially went for.
Anyways to my Q's, I am wondering if I needed a sub management system like sms-1, antimode or mini dsp or other suggestions? Would the Denon Avr 4520 I have do alright for the dual subs? My limited experience with dual setup has me wondering if external sub management would give me the best results.

Also just working my head overtime as am trying to re-wire the lounge and can't seem to find spots around the room where the subs could sit and not get in the way, so sub crawling is out of the question as the only placement would be at the front stage. I probably could set one up half way into the room against the left wall? The lounge is 25 x 16 x 8 and seating is bout 12 feet from the 70" tele. We have a three seater along the left wall which we are trying to get rid off.

Comments

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Doesn't this model of Denon avr have the Audyssey MultEQ XT32? If so, it should be able to EQ 2 subs. I'm not sure how well this would compare to an actual outboard sub eq unit. Having an older model Yamaha 663 avr I run the antimode 8033S unit eq-ing 2 subs and it sounds pretty good.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Congrats on your purchase I've read great things about those subs. The 4520CI has dual sub outs + Audyssey Sub Eq which does an excellent job. I would not buy additional sub eq. and I've tried both.

Is this for HT, music or both? And how perfect do you want the sub integration and performance?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    You better have a dolly to play with placement. It's going to be so fun, congrats.
  • BurrInspector
    Options
    @Polkie2009 yes sir the Denon has the XT32 + dual Sub EQ, and I was wondering the same thing. If those external EQ was better for dual sub setup.

@Thorton yes sir you are correct it has dual sub outs and EQ, but I can't help but ponder.. would the external source make a difference? I read that audyssey has very limited options once the EQ has been performed so tweaking it further won't be so easy.. Is that correct? Since you have tried both what we're your experiences with both setups?
    This is a dual system, bout 50:50 music to movies, though I reckon I would be using the subs more for movies.

And yeah i read alot bout the Rythmik subwoofer as before the whole SVS deal gone wrong I never actually read up on them.. They compare very well to the SVS pb13 ultras and many reviewers praise the Rythmik and highly recommend it for its Sq.

@codyc1ark haha I have started weight lifting again... Getting ready for these to arrive soon.

• Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Audyssey XT32 with sub eq works excellent. However to get the best performance and SQ requires work. Proper speaker, subwoofer and MLP placement is critical and Audyssey adds the final touches (to which additional tweaks are not needed....at least in my case). Proper calibration technique is also important. Your end result is highly influenced by your room and placement options.

If you want good results, there are many articles on sub placement that will get you started. Trial and error (sub placement) will get you 80-90% of the way there with good performance and you may be perfectly satisfied. This may also be good enough if your only using the subs for HT.

If you want great results, save your money from buying an external eq and buy room response software and room treatments (including bass traps). If you have a laptop, you can buy a calibrated mic for about $100 and download REW for free on Home Theater Shack. There is a learning curve! Or you could go with something like Omnimic. If someone is close to you with the software, have them come over to help you out. This would be the easiest and cheapest approach. AVS Forum has all the information on 1 thread for using REW. But like I said, there is a learning curve but it is definitely worth it. Read up on the AVS Forum for properly calibrating with Audyssey and also search the "Sub Distance Tweak".

Based on my experience, Audyssey XT32, proper placement utilizing REW and room treatments give excellent results and there is no need for external eq (for me, it adds nothing to the table that Audyssey XT32 already does very well).
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • BurrInspector
    Options
    After reading your post and looking at REW in great detail I think you have covered my doubt nicely with the above post. I am willing to learn and so REW method seems to be the best and cheapest route.
    Many thanks
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Mini dsp has a great mic that works really well with rew. As well as step by step set-up for Mac and windows on their website. I used rew to find all the trouble spots in my room. Room treatments (bass traps) has been one of the best investments for my system, and rew can show you the before and after results. And you will hear immediate results of course! Seriously! Room treatments have the biggest impact! Sub eq can only fix so much...
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BurrInspector
    Options
    Yeah I hear you guys, need room treatment for sure. Though not sure how to go about it at the moment. Since the systems in the lounge for a year before I actually get my dedicated HT basement I don't know how I could go about it and convince the other half. She will probably tell me 'argh take it down, wait till next year hun!'
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If you have limited placement options and no ability for room treatments, then just run Audyssey XT32. It's a very powerful tool that can do more in minutes than the average person can do in hours. The art of eq has not changed...correctly eq'ing two speakers had always been hard. Now add in 5-7 speakers and two sub's!!! Folks are are always wanting manual control...trust me..most don't need manual controls or can deal with a capable Parametric EQ. Let the powerful algorithm do its work, even the pro's use DSP room correction.

Once you get the dedicated room then considered, equidistant to the listener placement of the sub's, room treatments and traps, and the time and money to properly use and understand room correction software.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I agree 100% with WLDock. Manual eq is a pita. Automatic eq works amazing, and in no time at all. It's usually a set it and forget it kind of deal anyway.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.