How to use a DAC with a PC?

Options
scubalab
scubalab Posts: 3,101
OK, got the FiiO E07k in the Karma from Roger yesterday and cannot for the life of me get it to work with a PC. I'm curious to see if it makes any further SQ improvements other than just using it as a headphone amp.

So, here's what I have done...

The little DAC came from Roger in the original box with the screen protector, rubber sleeve, and a USB to mini USB cable. I had a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable already, so was able to test it as an amp using the 3.5mm input. Additionally, I was able to find the manual online (... it's loosely translated from Chinese!) and it is only like a 10-12 page fold-out pocket guide! Just had the basic info.

It said to power it on, connect to the PC with the USB cable, adjust volume, connect headphones, and 'start audio application in PC'. Well, the device never triggered the PC to popup a "new hardware found" prompt and couldn't find it anywhere else. It appears to be charging, but not found by the computer. So, I searched to see if there was a driver. Found one, downloaded it, and installed it. The device is still not found and the only playback device that shows up when I right click on the speaker icon in the toolbar is the computer's speakers. Additionally, the software driver, when opened, only opens a settings box, and that's it.

I'm wondering if the USB cable is bad or faulty...

On the FiiO, the female port clearly has what looks 5 internal pin slots.
mwa07ei781cx.jpg

The cable that came with it looks like it's missing 'internal' pin connectors.
6uxi0ifmxlwq.jpg

Initially, I thought maybe there was a different male mini USB end that has pins to connect to the 'internal' pin slots on the female end on the device, but I think contact is made on the bottom and they are not necessarily pin slots... So, I don't believe the mini USB male end is missing anything.

Looking for any help on the issue. Would love to try it as a DAC for the PC. I'm running two laptops (work pc is still running Windows 7, and home pc is running 8.1) Couldn't get it to work on either. Web help is limited and in every video/tutorial I find, the user is able to 'find' the device in their sound playback devices. Could it be a bad USB cable? Is it possible that something is wrong with the device?

Also, could I use this as a DAC with a Samsung tablet? If so, how would I connect it? With this? http://www.amazon.com/8inch-Micro-b-Mini-b-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00DHN9CMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430407610&sr=8-1&keywords=male+mini+usb+to+male+micro+usb

My Samsung has the 3.5mm headphone out as well as a micro USB. I'd assume using the headphone out on the Samsung would be a signal already converted to analog, but using the USB would be digital and take advantage of the DAC in the FiiO. Am I correct in that assumption?

We also use iPhone 5S's and 6 as well as an iPod 5. All use lightning connectors. From what I've read, there is no way to bypass the DACs in these i-devices with the newer lightning connectors. Is that true?

I see no other way to take advantage of the DAC function of this little device...

ANY help or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks - Al

Comments

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Hello Al,

Try another cable as I'm not sure if the one I sent you is the original one.

Good luck
    Roger
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    Options
    TBH, a MUCH better place to search and post about this would be headfi.org. Not to knock this forum, but ALL they do there is headphones and DAC's.... and Fiio is a big player on that site.

Might even have some answers over there on this.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    First, address the cable issue. Once you have a cable that actually allows the DAC to be recognized when plugged into the computer, the rest is easy.

In Windows, right click on the "Volume" (speaker) at the bottom right and select "Playback Devices". When the window opens, you should have a couple of options...Speakers and hopefully a SPDIF Interface. Click on the SPDIF Interface and select OK.
    Set your computer volume to 100 and away you go.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • scubalab
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks all! I will try another cable. Right now - more important things calling... Have our nightly family kickball game starting :)
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    until I got my Software for my DAC loaded correctly the PC never saw my DAC.... the way you describe the software open a settings box sounds like it didn't load correctly.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    *Most* USB DACs should appear to the computer as an SPDIF interface and the drivers are included with Windows.
    If that is not the case with this particular DAC, then Voltz is correct...you would need a specific driver.
    The E07K doesn't have a driver download available here: http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/25
    Which indicates to me that it should use the stock Windows driver.
    This post on their forum indicates this as well.
    http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40012&extra=page=1

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • scubalab
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help! I still have not had a chance to try a new USB cable, but that sounds like it may be the culprit! I will also try to reload the software. It was somewhat of a pain since it required downloading WinRAR to unzip it. I wonder if something went wrong there. I did try downloading and installing it twice, but will try again if using a new USB cable does not do the trick.
  • scubalab
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    If I may add, computers being stupid as they are sometimes, won't recognize a USB device if plugged into a certain port, but will if it's plugged into a different port. I've got a USB wireless mouse receiver that hates one of the ports on my work laptop...just a tip is all.

Actually, I have experienced that as well! I did try multiple ports and two different computers. I will try to find another cable this evening and see if that does the trick.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,551
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Try watching the videos in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/638910/fiio-e07k-andes-review-and-help-thread

and I "think" you have the right cable or one that should work...

USB2AYMB.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,568
    Options
    some modern PC's have charge-only ports, so be careful where you plug it in.
    Dac's haven't given me any issues, but adding bluetooth devices can drive you crazy.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    *Most* USB DACs should appear to the computer as an SPDIF interface and the drivers are included with Windows.
    If that is not the case with this particular DAC, then Voltz is correct...you would need a specific driver.
    The E07K doesn't have a driver download available here: http://www.fiio.net/en/supports/25
    Which indicates to me that it should use the stock Windows driver.
    This post on their forum indicates this as well.
    http://fiio.me/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=40012&extra=page=1

Your right they normally show up, and I went to looking for a driver for his and I could not find one.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • scubalab
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the help and pointers. After a busy week with traveling for work and some projects today around the house, I finally had a chance to dig out another USB to Mini-USB cable and try it with the FiiO. Success!! It must have been a bad cable. I powered it up, connected the new(er) cable, plugged into the laptop, and right clicked on the speaker icon. Under Playback Devices, it automatically defaulted to the SPDIF Out (FiiO DAC). I plugged in my Ultrafocus 8000s and gave it a whirl. Definite improvement in clarity, quality, and volume. Very happy here.

Special thanks to Roger (Polk500) for the AWESOME Karma! Looking forward to more music on this.

<<As I'm typing this (with my own music on my cans), I glanced across our kitchen island, and there's my girl jamming to her own music with her Polk Hinges!! GOD, I love that kid!>>
    crnfszoxl0no.jpg

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,568
    Options
    Polk should put that one on their home page.
    Much better than those paid endorsements!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson