Need a new, and better, router

Ron-P
Ron-P Posts: 8,516
I've got Verizon Fios. I'm using their brand (Actiontec) router. It's single strength is horrible and it will not support extenders.

Looking for a router with better strength, easy setup (for a non-computer kinda guy) and inexpensive. Any tips or suggestions?
If...
Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Comments

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    Here's some suggestions from CNET.

http://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/

I have a Belkin AC 1200DB which was about $100 and has dual band signals. I would only rate it about 3 out of 5 though. It's pretty good for the money, but there are probably better options for not much more.
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I've been using a Linksys WRT1900AC for several months now, and I've been very pleased with its performance in every way. I have one extender and use it to stream music from my server to various devices in the house. It was easy to set up.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I was having trouble getting sufficient coverage with my old apple airport extreme fifth generation, and the extenders weren't getting it done, so I bite the bullet and purchased this;

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P1Q9XNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its been very good since the holidays when I purchased it. Much faster wifi speeds, much better coverage (3000 sqft house in a u-shape) and I haven't had to reboot it once except to upgrade the firmware.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    ^^^^I have this router also.
    Leagues ahead of my dated Linksys but we're talking an 8 year old router. As far as future proof, it's got every bell and whistle imaginable.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • specd_out
    specd_out Posts: 505
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    I was having trouble getting sufficient coverage with my old apple airport extreme fifth generation, and the extenders weren't getting it done, so I bite the bullet and purchased this;

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P1Q9XNI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Its been very good since the holidays when I purchased it. Much faster wifi speeds, much better coverage (3000 sqft house in a u-shape) and I haven't had to reboot it once except to upgrade the firmware.

yup fantastic router. worth every penny. My wife and I have a lot of wifi items and this thing handles it like a champ. It greatly improved my xbox connection as well.

It also has good wifi speed. I pay for 50/25 and I will get that or higher pretty much anywhere in my home
    HT Rig Samsung 64F8500 |Pioneer Elite BDP-52FD|Pioneer Elite VSX-32| Two Carver TFM-15cb Bridged for mains|Polk Audio RTiA5 Cherry|Polk Audio CsiA6 Cherry|Polk Audio T-15 Heights|Polk Audio FXia6 Surround|DIY 8cuft Dayton Ultimax 15" powered with a Crown XLS1000
    2Channel Rig Polk Audio LSi9 Cherry| Carver C-1BillD Mod|Carver M1.0t MkII Opt2|Pro-ject RM 1.3|SpeedBox S|AQ King Cobras|AQ Rocket88|
    ISF Level 2 Certified Calibrator
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Yep and I like that it tells you how many devices you have connected and how much pressure you are putting on the router. And as my kids get older I can monitor and even limit their individual use. LOTS of options that I don't yet have the need to explore, but they are there.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,064
    Maybe you are aware of this, but 95% of FIOS installations use a coax connection between the FIOS box and the router. As far as I know you cannot buy a router with a coax internet connection. (Others chime in if I am wrong here, please) So you really cannot replace the router with a non Verizon piece. Big, big Verizon stitch up.

You can always just disable the wireless in the Actiontec and put another router in front of it - haven't thought this through, but doesn't sound good. If you only have Verizon internet, you can get them to remotely switch the box to use the RJ45 outlet on the box, but if you have TV, then you need to keep the Verizon router and bridge it to the new one.

Verizon have a newish router out, the Quantum, which has ac wireless, and they claim a 350ft range. I have one of these I use at my business, but we're hard wired, so I can't comment on the wireless performance. I have a friend who has on at home, and he says it's pretty impressive so far. Which it bloody better be for $199.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited April 2015
    I've been using a Linksys WRT1900AC for several months now, and I've been very pleased with its performance in every way. I have one extender and use it to stream music from my server to various devices in the house. It was easy to set up.

I have the same Linksys and it is the best router i have owned and or tested by far. It has great range and is easily configured and optimized.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp?obref=obinsite
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    OleBoot wrote: »
    Maybe you are aware of this, but 95% of FIOS installations use a coax connection between the FIOS box and the router. As far as I know you cannot buy a router with a coax internet connection. (Others chime in if I am wrong here, please) So you really cannot replace the router with a non Verizon piece. Big, big Verizon stitch up.

You can always just disable the wireless in the Actiontec and put another router in front of it - haven't thought this through, but doesn't sound good. If you only have Verizon internet, you can get them to remotely switch the box to use the RJ45 outlet on the box, but if you have TV, then you need to keep the Verizon router and bridge it to the new one.

Verizon have a newish router out, the Quantum, which has ac wireless, and they claim a 350ft range. I have one of these I use at my business, but we're hard wired, so I can't comment on the wireless performance. I have a friend who has on at home, and he says it's pretty impressive so far. Which it bloody better be for $199.

Hmmm, good info, something to look into. My router does use a coax connection. Thanks for the heads up. I may have to buy a router and piggyback off the verizon. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • RSTERN
    RSTERN Posts: 287
    Can someone tell me the difference between these two.

http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-WRT1900AC/

http://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-E8350/

Thanks,
    Rob
    mains: rt16
    center: csi40
    surrounds:fx 1000
    sub: SVS 20-39pc+
  • Interesting first post; might be a little late with your suggestion.

Nice router though.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Y'all need to recognize and FLAG spam posts, rather than reply and perpetuate their time near the top of the forum. Nobody registers on an audio forum to make a single post about routers. The inclusion of the link also makes it suspect. Hopefully, Ken will clean this up.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    I use the Orbi mesh system mentioned in Jimbo's linked CNET article. We have thick lath & plaster (with steel mesh) walls and detached garage apartment, gameroom/studio and workshop - very challenging - especially since fast/reliable guest access is required in the carriage house. The Orbi works flawlessly (with the exception of an occasional stutter on higher res tunes to the SBTouch in the shop maybe 150ft away) and it provides wired access to various music streamers. Much better than the router/extender combos I've used in the past.

Google mesh at the beach is cheaper but not nearly as fast or reliable, even in a MUCH smaller space.

Both are VERY easy to setup and manage, including guest access/control.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet