RTA-8t

browsinbob
browsinbob Posts: 22
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
POLK RTA-8t,GOOD-BAD-OKAY? Found a pair for sale in my area. Need advice about this model browsinbob
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited July 2001
    Nice little speaker from about 10-12 yrs ago. I wouldn't expect the last word in bass response from them, and I wouldn't pay more than $150-200 for a used pair at this point. They final retailed somewhere between $600-800.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grand's)
  • browsinbob
    edited July 2001
    THANKS GEORGE,for your response But can you or anyone tell me what kind of mid-bass and high freq. to expect from this model. THANKS again browsinbob
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    The old Audio from 1991, the last year they appear, has them rated from 45Hz-23Kkz, +0,-3. Like I said, not the last word in deep bass. I think they may have used the SL2000 tweeter. It's also just two 6 1/2" mid bass drivers. Final retail was $325 each, 1991. Best I can do.

The SL2000 tweet is a LITTLE forward sounding, but definitely livable.
  • browsinbob
    edited July 2001
    Thanks again George, I will buy them and use with my eosone sub. until I can find a fair deal on SDA's for the fronts. Now my only problem will be finding a center to blend with the older polks.Can you or anyone reading this make a recommendation? THANKS,Browsinbob
  • George Grand
    edited July 2001
    Can't recommend a center to go with it cause I don't use one in my HT rig. I use 4 RTA11t's (one pr is TL's) with an original Dynaco Quadaptor. It works out for me, as I am much more into my stereo than my HT rig. Someone else will jump in here and recommend something, I'm sure.

If those 8's image anywhere as nice as these 11's, you're going to be happy with that purchase. Probably blend with that Eosone a little nicer than some mini-satellite also.

• JohanK
    JohanK Posts: 29
    edited July 2001
    Hi. I use a pair of RTA-8TLs as the front mains in my HT. I installed the SL3000 tweets in them (the SL2000 dome is black looking while the SL3000 dome is silver looking; the SL3000 is used in the RTA11 and RTA15 speakers).

I high pass them @ 80 Hz and they sound good; definitely better than my Polk RT55s. They are not true full range speaks; I agree with your thinking that a sub would be appropriate. I use the CS400 center channel and the match is fine.

HTH.
  • browsinbob
    edited July 2001
    Hi,thanks for your reply HTH. You stated you changed tweeters from SL2000,to SL3000. Was this a up grade for better highs,or a replacement due to tweeter burn out. Do they sound better now with the SL3000's. My SL2000 tweeters are clear-silver looking domes,not black as you stated. THANKS, Browsinbob
  • JohanK
    JohanK Posts: 29
    edited July 2001
    My bad...the tweets that I had are the SL2500 (that's what the 8TL speaker came with). One was burned out so I decided to replace both with the SL3000 tweets (the other was showing signs of abuse too). IMO they do sound better but I wouldn't have replaced the SL2500s if they had been in perfect condition. IIRC, the SL2000 is the silver coil tweet (not sure about that) and I wouldn't replace them with the SL3000.

BTW, HTH = Hope This Helps. The name is Johan. :)