Sampson 1000?

warviperwarviper Posts: 585
edited March 2004 in Electronics
Hey is this amp only for powering subs. Is it not clean enough for just 2 channel. Im sure there is a reason why you guys are not using it to power your speakers but I just would like to know why? Thanx for any feed back.:D
Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
Post edited by warviper on

Comments

• Dr. SpecDr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2004
    I know of one person using it to power the rear center channels. He says it sounds just fine.

The specs for the amp seem decent enough; it has its origins in the pro touring industry - it's a band amp in other words.

That's not a bad thing, but it won't have the pedigree of a Parasound, Rotel, B&K, or Crown, etc.

It's a $350 amp, so I would tend to match it up with gear at a commensurate price point.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen ([email protected])
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • warviperwarviper Posts: 585
    edited March 2004
    Thanx Doc so do you think that you would lose some of the details then if it were to be used in a two channel setting?
    Wish I was a polkologist then I could call my self Dr.warviper.
  • Dr. SpecDr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited March 2004
    Two schools of thought on amps - they only amplify what the pre/pro sends on, or they add sound/coloration of their own.

Of course, it could also be the case that an inferior amp misses some of the detail that a pre/pro sends on, and a superior amp doesn't.

Really only one way to find out - buy it and compare it head to head with another more expensive "audiophile grade" amp using the same source and pre/pro and see if you can hear a difference.

I've run my RT800i off the 3803, and also off the h/k 870 using the 3803 as a pre/pro. Couldn't tell the difference. Then again, the RT800i is an easy speaker to drive.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen ([email protected])
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • tryrrthgtryrrthg Posts: 1,900
    edited March 2004
    Doesn't the Sampson have a fan also? You *might* be distracted by the fan noise which could be annoying at low listening levels...

Just another thing to think about...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • goingganzogoingganzo Posts: 2,797
    edited March 2004
    the fans are wisper quiet on it.
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000