Help picking out rcas....

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited March 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just wondering if anyone here can recommend a good quality rca interconnect to go from my head unit to my amplifiers. I wasnt looking to spend a fortune, but wanted to get a good solid cable that would improve my overall sound in my car. Im not familiar with which brands are of good value and which ones are crap. Right now i have crappy radioshack interconnects, so anything is going to be an improvement. Ill need 3 runs from headunit to trunk in my nissan sentra, and was looking to spend maybe a lil over 100 dollars for the 3. Any recommendations would be great. Also one more question, i was thinking about rewiring all the speaker wire in my car with better quality wire, so any thoughts on a brand for those would be great to. I have a 4x400 watt amp so im not real sure what gauge speaker wire would be appropriate. Thanks again for any help.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited March 2004
    Street Wires 3.0 RCA's
    as far as your amp goes, I highly doubt it actually does 400x4, but I could be wrong, do you have a link to the amp?
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited March 2004
    Streetwires Zero Noise 2.0, 3.0, 5.0, 6.0...anything from any one of those series. You can find them pretty damn cheap on souddomain.com and a few other discounter websites. Personally, since the ZN6.0's are so cheap on sounddomain.com, I'd splurge a bit and go with them. I already have ZN6.0's in an 11.5 foot length in my truck and I am extremely pleased with them. Very good cables. Worth every penny I paid even if I did pay retail.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    If you can find the 5.0s in a 16 ft. length..tell me..
    -Cody
  • Gringo
    Gringo Posts: 61
    edited March 2004
    sntn,
    Sorry for the confusion, i meant my amp does 100 watts 4 ways, for a total of 400 watts. What gauge speaker wire do you think would do for 100 watts per speaker? Thanks for the help and I'll go check out sound domain right now...Does streetwires make a good speaker cable too? Thanks again!
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Fronts: Polk Rti-70s
    Center: Polk Csi-40
    Surrounds: Polk Fxi-50s
    Sub: SvS 20-39pci
    Sony 36inch HdTv
    Denon DvD-2200 Sacd/Dvd-a
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    and thats 100watts RMS right? not peak?
    if so, then id use 16awg speaker wire...my speaker wire is RF...nothing great...but i dont concern myself too much with great speaker wire...eventually ill probably switch to monster speaker wire or streetwire speaker wire, but for now, the RF stuff at best buy is great
    and yes, streetwires really is that good
    their 5.0 series is the best ever made for the price IMHO...they sound just as good as the $200+ patch cables out there an you can wrap 'em around your alternator and never get any noise...well that might be a lil over board...but they are really that good
    the newer 6.0s arent as good
    they dont make the 5.0s anymore...theyre impossible to find except in 6ft or less sizes
    i actually got the last one in a 16ft length that crutchfield had, my other 2 rca's are cheap RF ones, well theyre not cheap, but theyre not great either
    im getting a new truck next year and i want to get a couple more 5.0s in 16ft lengths, but if i cant find em ill get the 6.0s
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited March 2004
    Why are the 6.0's not as good?

• sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    I think it was Josh who told me that he didn't like the 5.0s b/c he had problems with the connectors breaking, but I've never had any such problems, and I've pulled those things off my amps many a times...the local installer here used to use them, but then got sponsored by someone else so he had to get rid of em, he said he never had any problems like that either
    I've read many reviews over them and never seen something bad about them other than price, but that is just because they're stupid, theyre not overpriced at all
    but why I really think they're better than the newer 6.0s is because of the connectors, the 5.0s have a small powdered ferrite inductor inside each connector to reject any type of noise
    i read somewhere online where i guy did a test to see which ones outperformed each other, and he said the 6.0s got noise a lot faster than the 5.0s
    i dunno about the 6.0s, but i also know that the 5.0s are soldered with 5% silver solder to make a better connection
    the 5.0s were made before mitek bought out SW i believe, vince will know if thats true or if im wrong
    -Cody
  • Gringo
    edited March 2004
    thanks alot sntn, ill def be purchasing myself some streetwires in the next few days. :-)
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • My Trunk Slams
    My Trunk Slams Posts: 1
    edited March 2004
    man,
    forget streetwires... not b/c they're not good cables... don't get me wrong... but your putting this stereo into a nissan sentra?? dude, save your money up and get a half decent car before you put that much money into cables for gods sake...
    you might as well be putting wal mart specials into that pile of ****...

-alex
    Yo, I be all up in yo face
    with that crazy **** bass.
  • Gringo
    edited March 2004
    OH i must be new to this....does sound quality change depending on what vehicle i drive? I love music, id rather be enjoying myself when im driving then have people look and say wow, that kid has a nice car. Man my city has way to many kids like you, the ones who drive up and down the bolevard in there shiny lil cars, meanwhile they cant afford to eat, but as long as it makes them feel popular, than be my guest. But obviously you have no friends seeing that you have to sit online behind a computer and make fun of people...Get a life
    Onkyo Tx-Sr700
    Sony 36inch HdTv
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited March 2004
    ok i joke around with ppl on here about fords and dodges, but im kidding around...and i know you are too...b/c only someone really stupid would say that, sentras are nice cars and are very practical, theyre not the best, but theyre damn good for the price
    -Cody
  • Jstas
    edited March 2004
    Man guys, look at his signature, look at his name. He's just a punk kid with a big mouth and mommy and daddy's checkbook most likely.

Just ignore his inane ramblings. Next thing to hear is how bad Polk Audio sucks and so on and so forth.

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited March 2004
    yup cody -- 5 = esoteric... 6 = mitek

beyond the inductors....

the 5's had ceramic coated (or solid, i haven't taken them apart so i dunno) terminals (the part u hold onto behind the actual gold plated end)... ceramic is a FANTASTIC insulator. since there isn't any shielding around that small 1 inch or so area at the end of the wire, the ceramic serves as a replacement for that shield. as to how much difference this makes -- probably none, but the attention to detail on the part of the makers is just cool.

secondly, the actual wire jackets were so goddamn TOUGH. you chould hang a couple cinder blocks from those things and not even put a kink in them (exaggeration, but y ou get the point).

i dunno.. i'm just partial to them.

the 6's are good wires as well... but considering they dropped the inductor and slightly decreased the "toughness" of the jacket (as well as making them uni-jacket versus dual jacket [one for left, one for right, that you could pull apart if you wanted to]), i feel they should have dropped the price maybe 20 - 30%. in my eyes, the new 6.0's are no better electronically/durably than the old 3.5 (or was it 3.0? i can't keep it straight -- the ones that were below the 5.0 that were yellow)... and i liked the 3.5 -- good wires.. but they were more reasonably priced. anywho -- thats my 2 cents.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge