New Audophile MicroSD Card From Sony

Options
Thoughts?

http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-tempts-audiophiles-with-new-premium-sound-super-expensive-microsd-card/
f5bdff39.jpg

Audiophiles, you're not totally happy with the the sound quality of your top-of-the-line digital player and not sure what to blame? Turns out, it might just be the SD card you're using. At least Sony thinks so.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the company announced today a new "Premium Sound" memory card, called the SR-64HXA, that will start shipping next month. According to the company, this card is designed to create little to no electric noise when data is being read from it, hence offering clearer sound quality compared with regular cards.

The good news is that this is not another Sony Memory Stick, but a standard Class 10 microSDXC (or microSD card for short) that fits in any device that has a microSD card slot. The bad news is that this new card will cost some ¥18,500 (that's roughly equivalent to about $160 in the US, £100 in the UK and AU$200) for just 64GB of storage space. In comparison, you can get a regular Class 10 64GB SD card for less than $30.

Financially, there's no reason for you to get this new card for your smartphone or tablet. However, if you're going to get the high-end Walkman NW-ZX2 that Sony started shipping earlier this month that costs HK$8,880 ($1,150), spending another $160 for the memory card doesn't sound too over the top.

And that's a big if. Even Sony is not so sure about the demand of the new card, according to its spokesperson, but it believes that some "who are committed to committed to great sound quality would want it."

The SR-64HXA is slated to be available on March 5 in Japan. After that, if the sound quality is still not on par with your expectation, maybe you should have your ears checked.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Options
    I thought I'd heard it all...until now. Speed is the only difference with memory cards, and usually that only matters when you're WRITING to it. Bits are bits: save your $$!
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    StantonZ wrote: »
    Bits are bits: save your $$!

Yes and no....but whether or not this card sounds better will be up to the end user, no ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • falconcry72
    falconcry72 Posts: 3,580
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I think one thing we can all agree on is that for critical listening you need to eliminate all background noise in your room. This gives a big advantage to SSD's (or a microSD card) over spinning HDD's. Not saying that this card would sound better than any other card, what I'm saying is that it's not as simple as "bits are bits" when the device playing back those bits is adding physical noise to your environment.

My PC is currently the loudest noise source in my 2-channel room. Not good. Looking to replace it with something quieter (or silent, hopefully), but not sure what direction to go. I guess I could just build a sound proof container around it as a quick fix.
    2-Channel: PC > Schiit Eitr > Audio Research DAC-8 > Audio Research LS-26 > Pass Labs X-250.5 > Magnepan 3.7's

Living Room: PC > Marantz AV-7703 > Emotiva XPA-5 > Sonus Faber Liuto Towers, Sonus Faber Liuto Center, Sonus Faber Liuto Bookshelves > Dual SVS PC12-Pluses

Office: Phone/Tablet > AudioEngine B1 > McIntosh D100 > Bryston 4B-ST > Polk Audio LSiM-703's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I thought I'd heard it all...until now. Speed is the only difference with memory cards, and usually that only matters when you're WRITING to it. Bits are bits: save your $$!

You do realize this is the same argument made against cables, amplifiers, etc...

Time for the popcorn :(
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »

You do realize this is the same argument made against cables, amplifiers, etc...

No actually it is, I think, a little different. The SD card is all digital from stem to stern. It holds a bunch of digital data and communicates to the world through some little I/O gold foil tracks.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    I have the noisy laptop in the room also. I was thinking about moving it down inside a cabinet and adding a remote monitor, keyboard and mouse for control.

I read one review about a Resonessence Invicta Mirus DAC where the SD card was preferred over the computer input. It cannot hurt to remove moving mechanical systems.

I added a Starlight 7 usb cable between my computer and dac and there was definitely a SQ change for the better. I added a Starlight 7 cable between my external hard drive and my computer and it sounded terrible (did not expect this and don't understand why). Whether analog or digital; cables have a sound of their own. There is more to it than 1s and 0s.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    I'm going to step out on a limb here guys. I personally do not think any "audiophile" chip will make my Motorola tracfone sound any better.