Determining reflection points for sound treatment locations

Options
2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah, the moment you mess with something...lol The more mistakes you make means you are closing in on the best compromise. ;) Best to write down what and where so you don't repeat. Unless you build an audio room to spec you just settle for the least dB differences between frequencies. I gave up on ruler flat long ago.

I use Dayton Audio OmniMic V2. It comes with a calibrated mic and seemed easier to use than the freeware REW (Room EQ Wizard), at the time I got it anyway. One burst tone and you get the results on a graph. Best to do when home alone as it can be annoying for the loved ones to hear over and over again.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-omnimic-v2-computer-based-precision-room-measurement-system--390-792

I remember back to using a test tones cd and a RS meter. Problem with continuous tones is the room loads up and you get erroneous readings. It was kinda hard to time a short tone burst using pause on the remote and it led to errors.

As an example, here I was concentrating on midrange. Just a few inches front or back could leave me with a big hole in the mids. You get one thing looking real good and something else rears it's ugly head.

sweep2.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    I had to, finally, move the 244 panels upstairs. Sandy had patiently turned a blind eye to them standing against various wall and door spaces while I experimented. They had to go before guests arrived for Thanksgiving.

Yesterday, we got our tree (12' and overkill to me, but the family liked it) and, once it was in place and left to settle in, I settled in for some vinyl listening.

zztqxt3s5lxg.jpg

Best room sound treatment yet!! I told the family we need to get another one and place it on the other side of the dining area. :p

Seriously though, I think natural sound treatments would be awesome. 8 to 10 foot, fairly dense foliage vegetation in attractive pots? Might even rank high with WAF. What do you think?
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Believe or not, I bet the needles on the branches act great as diffusers. I've heard about this before, using plants in the room. Gorgeous tree and room by the way! :)
  • BlueMDPicker
    Options
    @Polkie2009 - Thanks for the kind words!

With the full knowledge and acceptance of the fact I will never create anything approaching an anechoic space in a living/dining area, I'm going to research 4 to 8 foot plants that have a winning chance of surviving indoor life. Then, try to develop a layout utilizing them to abate reflections in this challenging room. Should be a fun exercise.