KEF Blade arrived today

Options

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Interesting the side bass panels face each other versus the LSi15 design of facing out.

These bass panels cancel each other out with th inertia and they have the same voice coils as 15 inch woofers do. I know Iam not set up for these but man does the bass sound great!

• polkfarmboy
    Options
    I never have done serious reviews before and no one should take my word forhow something sounds. Its all about fun and music, even though my rooms crap I can still enjoy allmy favorite tracks.
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Its just stuff, my rooms not the best buti can still tell that ice amps sound weak etc. Most of my listening is done on electrostats because you dont realy need alot of room treatment.

These speakers will be getting sent to the video game room with some choice gear. I willbe adding room treatments in that room pretty soon as my wife dontcare
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,883
    Options
    I asked Kevin to post some reviews of the gear he rolls through, so let's keep the criticisms, etc. out of the thread. Besides, I don't know anyone here that has a perfect room and every room is different, treated or not.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Here is a snap of the blade.

j6jltvbrqjl5.jpg

Cool looking speakers PFB..

Cheers
    Roger
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Skip I know were your coming from and for me ths is uncharted territory. I could never review the likes of an MBL preamp with these for that reason alone. Now ifi was to pull out my Vista speakers then Iwould be able to review that MBL because they dont have that reflection point like anormal speaker as it pretty much goes directly to you. I havealso listened to the Martin Logan for 4 years so put a dac or a pre in the mix and I can get a pretty good handle onthe qualitys.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    LOL. At least he has a $60,000 system. Calm down Skip. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,663
    Options

Isn't photoshop a wonderful thing? Skinny jeans and all with no room for a smart phone..

• polkfarmboy
    Options

Isn't photoshop a wonderful thing? Skinny jeans and all with no room for a smart phone..
    I dont believe in smart phones and back in the day Iremember a time whenyou wentto the doc or dentist one would havea conversation with a stranger to break the silence. Now you cant even join theline at the pizza joint without witnessing a bunch of morons sifting through crap on those things. No ones gona sell my data to some add company or track me like a rat in a maze.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Not to sidetrack your thread, but I got my first cell phone (iPhone 5) 2 1/2 years ago, and the PRIMARY reason was to use it as a remote control for my Bryston BDP-1 file player.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,663
    Options

I dont believe in smart phones and back in the day Iremember a time whenyou wentto the doc or dentist one would havea conversation with a stranger to break the silence. Now you cant even join theline at the pizza joint without witnessing a bunch of morons sifting through crap on those things. No ones gona sell my data to some add company or track me like a rat in a maze.

Back in the day? I'm guessing you're like 25, tops....

• BlueFox
    Options

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Solid panes of glass behind the speakers? Get some blinds, man!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFox
    Options
    The uncarpeted wood floors bugs me more. I bought my S5s from an individual who also had wood floors, and didn't like the S5s. His loss, my gain. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,526
    Options
    Either way, I echo Skips. You spend money on speakers, you can spend money on treatments. But congrats on the Blades.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options
    How do they sound?
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    brianle wrote: »
    How do they sound?

I dont wana say to much right now.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Options
    How do they sound?

How do they sound?

Why not ? Just say "first impressions". Would like to know how they sound on some of that tubed gear you got hanging around.

We get they aren't set up in ideal situations, heck....most of our systems aren't either. If you shared some thoughts on the gear you roll through there, people may take you more seriously.

Guys, PFB ....and he can correct me if I'm wrong, flips this stuff so he isn't set up for a dedicated listening room to warrant room treatments. I don't even know if he has gear he actually keeps for himself. We all do what we can with what we got when it comes to our rooms. Which is why as with most reviews on the internet you take with a grain of salt.

That said....it's too early for a pic of yourself in skinny jeans. You hurt my eyes man, now where did I put that eye wash ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,533
    Options
    In all honesty I could never afford these KEF's but if I could

kef_blade_orange.jpg
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,365
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    That said....it's too early for a pic of yourself in skinny jeans. You hurt my eyes man, now where did I put that eye wash ?

Something's you can't unsee!

Just look at the image gce posted. This is the eyewash you need....lol

oxnwb15x30zp.jpg
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Way to contemporary for my taste. I'm so into the older coffin style walnut jobs that these look from another planet. Good luck w/ them and you kept your word w/ the pix. 1 other thing I'll take the blonde in the middle.....
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Left these are not some contemporary poser, there could be no other shape. What your looking at is form reflecting the function.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,365
    edited March 2015
    Options
    April (April Sanders, KEF's Western Regional Manager) is more my speed as them three younger ones could kill me. Ah, what a way to go!

013012avsfApril-600_0.jpg?itok=DVDLPgFd

At any rate, congrats on your form function KEF's Kevin.

Having lived with ESL's for seven-eight years, it is easy to pick out the differences with an enclosed speaker (like mid range dynamics) so like Tony said just say what you think and forget about making it sound like audio speak.

For instance, you were used to a di-pole sound so the soundstage is quite expansive. Most "box" type speakers will not provide this. Now my Salk SS8's have the option to open the back of the mid-range driver. I can control the ambience to suit my room/tastes. So with the mid range back open, they get me closer to the di-pole sound I was used to.

The second is the transparency, which a planar type device excels at. My Salk SS8's use the RAAL tweeter and the Accuton mid range. Both are extremely low mass and very fast and detailed, keeping me close to what I loved about the ESL's. However, mid range dynamic wise, the SS8's slayed my ESL's.

Placement wise, ESL's can be more forgiving due to the beaming effect, even with the curved versus flat panel. ML's were closer to a two person sweet spot while my flat ESL's were a one person sweet spot. Box speakers can have more dispersion which widens the sweet spot with less precise or intensive focus than you are used to in the ESL sweet spot.

I first placed my SS8's like I had my ESL's with same treatments. Results were poor, so I had to go back to school and move/listen/measure as I had more than a 10db drop in the mids. Inches can make a difference so don't be afraid to move them around. Take notes and write down placement measurements so you don't repeat your poor result moves. Highlight your best speakers position so you can go back to it. You need a baseline to return to.

Every 'bad' move leads to a more successful one. Sometimes you have to stop moving and just listen to the music. While some folks don't like the measure word, room sweeps can confirm what you hear and get you better dialed in. Graphs help me understand movement/results better too. Forget about ruler flat response as you may not achieve it in rooms not specifically designed for audio (even with treatments), but you can minimize the peaks and nulls.

No regrets at all on the move to the SS8's (box speakers) from ESL's.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • brianle
    brianle Posts: 572
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    The curves are pleasing to the eye. :)

You were talking about the blade, right? Lol

• polkfarmboy
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    The curves are pleasing to the eye. :)

You were talking about the blade, right? Lol

I think it was meant for the blades but it could be a deep seeded first attempt to leave the closet?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,911
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Something's you can't unsee!

Just look at the image gce posted. This is the eyewash you need....lol

oxnwb15x30zp.jpg

I'll take the one in the middle for $500....lol. Now why can't we have that here in Illinois ? Tell ya what....I'd have the cleanest car you boys ever saw. I'd also have 2 of the biggest black eyes you ever saw explaining to the wife where 1000 bucks went that month.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    PFB if that you by the speakers? you need to stop spending all your money on speakers & buy some food! PFB is gonna mean = Please Feed this Boy!

Enjoy the speakers & Rock On..that is what its all about!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • polkfarmboy
    Options
    Ok here is my first impressions of the Blade. First off I have never heard cleaner faster harder bass in such abundance. Thats the single quality that just leaps out at you and slaps you in the face and does not leave a sting.

In the past with many other speakers I always felt the floor vibe with the bass especially from the 8 inch aluminum woofers on the Martin Logan Vista. With the blade I hear these four monster woofers in tandem with nothing going into the floor at around the same volume.

I decided to go to my wifes beloved hozier cd with one specific track in mind to confirm my finding about the bass. She comes in as she listens to that cd like a religious ritual. Its called " Work Song" Holy socks!!! as soon as it started we both looked at each other at the same time with almost the same expression. The frequency extension was just crazy into the low Hz's but it was not a sub woofer type of boom but rather the room had just came alive and made the sound and not the speakers.

The crossovers in these thing is the work of magicians as it just all flows together. I have always heard people saying to pair them or those speakers up with a sub and you got sound that will rival a pair of 50k speakers etc. I have never liked a separate sub with speakers no matter how good the subs I have tried, when it comes to 2 ch the bass always sounds better coming from the speaker. This is case in point, this sounds like the bass that comes from my electrostats with more raw power than my subs.

I always found the KEF LS 50 a nice forgiving speaker unlike my Electrostats but what I find with the Blades is that they are less forgiving than my Martin Logans!!! I decided to go to spotify and was filled with horror!!! I got to the point that I was starting to friek out like there might actually be some defects going on but after quickly switching to some high resolution I was comforted in the reassurance. These have a very transparent quality that knock it out of the park at the lowest levels on the spl meter. How transparent are they? I dont know yet so I am gona have to get the electrostats out to side by side them.

More to come soon.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,078
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Glad to hear you got a shipment delivered undamaged. Sounds like your happy with them are they gonna be keepers? By your picture I figured the wife had your head on a silver platter, LOL enjoy those if they sound as good as they look then I bet your a happy camper.

My only other question is with the bass panels on the left of each speaker don't you have them set up wrong? I would think the panels should be facing each other the opposite of how your picture shows.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • polkfarmboy
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The old analogy comes to mind about having a sports car you can only drive in town. But this is more like driving a Bugatti in the walmart parking lot.