Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited March 2004
    there's lots of places that have plain grilles of many sizes; get one and carefully paint it yourself (it would be way expensive to get a company to do it). i'd say paint it, let it dry, then punch out all the holes again with a big needle.

crotchfield has some
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited April 2004
    Ok.. well you CAN make one...
    Take a corningware dinner plate, set it on a sheet of wax paper.
    /\ -- get the right size of course :D

get some fiberglass materials... a small bondo kit will work well, dont forget the glass itself. Lay out and fiberglass onto the plate and resin it, as well as build it out to as strong as you willl need for your design. The final coat should be an epoxy type glass coating that can be sanded.. also a bondo avail thing.

Let this harden, then trim the edges to make it round, as well as grind and sand the front. Then copy your design to the front, drill pilot holes, and start cutting with a coping saw ond/or a jigsaw.. be careful. when you are done, sand off the burrs, round any point to a fine horn shape or whatever fits ya... then paint it.

For a 10" you can pick up an 8.5" plate for a buck or two.. remember the wax paper is to make the flat areas for the screws, so over-make the edgews, then cut to match the sub. I would powder the plate with something if i were you.. otherwise you may have to somehow snap the plate to get it off.

In general. Have fun!

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    if u do that, make sure you've got enough room under it for full excursion - this is something people have been doing a lot with polk's grilles - banging the cone into the grille, that is.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    Good point neo... I guess one could use something to prop up the plate if needed.
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    edited April 2004
    okay... i don't entirely follow the description. is the idea to make a mold of the plate and then cut that?

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited April 2004
    no, what you're doing is taking the plate to make the back of the grille, it's a support to hold the fiberglass up and that makes the clearance for your sub's xmax or travel. what you do on the top of the plate is the thing you will sand, grind etc to make your design... I'll make a how-to pic as soon as i get my pc reloaded with the software...
    -Jerry

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    You still need help on this one?

• neomagus00
    edited May 2004
    nope, i'm good, thanx

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited May 2004
    Okey