Placement, placement, placement.

Options
Moving into a new apartment for a few months, but this might be the most ideal placement room I've ever been in with my rig. Plenty of room to get the speakers away from all walls, and let them sing on their own with no corner loading. Just a nice simple 2.0 system!

Also spinning some discs off of my Pioneer Elite DV47-Ai, I haven't cycled this in quite awhile and forgot what a sweet sounding CD player it is. I can't wait until I can unpack some of my SACD's to spin on it. I feel like this player has more depth than my FLAC'd Squeezebox, and a better soundstage. Although this could be due to placement also, I should have the computer over here and running tonight hopefully to do some A/B for myself.

Moral of the story, don't go out and buy speakers you can't properly place in your room. Placement is SO key, one of the first and best tweaks I ever learned in the hobby. Back to work and tunes, enjoy your Friday folks.

Comments

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    Sitting here enjoying tunes and recovering from a minor outpatient procedure today and couldn't agree more Cody.

Unrelated note, you got the day free on the 28th for the central Iowa theater crawl? Culminates at the Savoy Theater out in Altoona and with demos from Jim Salk!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    @ZLTFUL I can try to make the 28th, but my brothers birthday is the day before, pm me with details. I'll try.

@DSkip I think too many people try and stuff the wrong speakers in the wrong room. Over focused on woofer size. Placement is the biggest factor, imho...

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    edited March 2015
    Options
    codyc1ark wrote: »
    @DSkip I think too many people try and stuff the wrong speakers in the wrong room. Over focused on woofer size. Placement is the biggest factor, imho...

I'm coming to that realization myself. I'm thinking the RS-II's will just want more room than I can give them. The RTA's are ok close up against the wall... but honestly I may look at buying a set of good bookies that I can pull out into the room for critical listening and pair with a small (15-30 watt) tube amps, but don't need a ton of space.... and a set of pro studio monitors (KRK Rokit G5's) for nearfield computer listening which is what I do a large majority of.

Since I have my old sub in the mix up there it should help me out on the low end.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Dan, there is a problem with that idea - good bookshelves with sand-filled stands are going to be heavier than a tower. If you're going to pull out into the room, then why limit yourself to bookshelves? Small towers would do the trick as well.

Its not the weight at all thats the issue, its the placement. Its harder to adjust a tower up or down height wise, whereas you can adjust the placement of a bookie on a stand.

But I wont rule them out entirely....

I've heard good things about the KEF LS50's with regards to both nearfield and also critical listening so its one thats on my list.

Or who knows, maybe I just go with Pro Studio Monitors meant for nearfield for now.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Yeah, I just wish I still had that micropro 2000 to pull 40 and under. This rig would be incredible then.

You know...since I set up the 2.3TLs, mine isn't getting too much use. *wink wink nudge nudge say no more*

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip