Better Call Saul

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,086
edited March 2015 in Music & Movies
Anybody else watching this? It's the spinoff of Breaking Bad but I hesitate to call it a spinoff, it's good on its own merits. It revolves around the Saul Goodman character from Breaking Bad (you know, 'sall good, man) and other characters have had an appearance on the show so far. I'm really digging it, those two guys know how to write a show.
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• brgman
    brgman Posts: 2,859
    It's a good one.
    Last weeks "Mike" show was stellar.
    Main Rig-Realistic AM/FM Record player 8 track boasting 4 WPC

Backup Rig-2 CH-Rogue Audio Zeus w/Factory Special Dark Mods,Joule-Electra 300ME Platinum Preamp,OPPO-105 w/Modwright Tube Mod, Auralic Aries G2.1,Polk 2.3TL,3.1TL's,Dreadnought,RTA-15TL's,1C's All Fully Modded,2xRTA-12c's ,Benchmark DAC3 HGC,Synology NAS,VPI Scout w/Dynavector DV-20XH and Rogue Audio Ares Phono Preamp,Sony PCM-R500 DAT,HHB-850 Pro CDR,Tascam CC-222SLMKII Cassette/CDR,MIT S3.3 Shotgun Cables,Shunyata Hyra-8,Shunyata and Triode Labs Power Cords

I’M OFFENDED!!!!
  • chefkungfu
    chefkungfu Posts: 638
    Yes, been watching it and it's good! We didn't see the last episode, but we recorded it, so probably tonight we'll watch it! We also have to catch up on the last 3 episodes of walking dead. Can't watch it with my son and by the time he falls asleep, we're all too tired to watch it. So we record it. As an added bonus, we can fast forward through all the commercials...
    Never the less, Better call Saul is really good!
    SRT Seismic System with dual PSW1200's
    RT5000 x 2
    RT2000p
    CS400i
    CS350-LS
    LS F/X
    PSW650
    PSW1000 w/Dayton SPA1000
    DSW MicroPro 4000
    Adcom amps
    Pioneer Elite SC-89
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable
    PS4
    XBOX One
    MIT Interconnects
    BJC
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    Pretty good show, not breaking bad material but holds its own
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    edited March 2015
    I have been interested in this show but haven't tuned in. How many episodes/seasons do I need to get caught up on?
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    There has been 7 episodes so far. Comes on Monday nights.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • jeremymarcinko
    Sweet, thanks.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,334
    I think it's a really well done show also. Writing is excellent, and although some of it's appeal is due to the ties to BB, it stands on it's own merits.

I agree with brgman, the Mike episode was great. The BB easter eggs are cool too, but truthfully, most of them I wouldn't catch on my own.
  • Great show. Like BB, everything is not explained, you have to let it unfold. it swings from laugh out loud funny (the "Matlock" suit, or the goofy embezzler family) to deadly serious (Mike).
    Norh ACA-2B tube pre, Sumo Andromeda SS amp. Magneplanar MMG speakers, M&K MX1250 Subwoofer, Pro-Ject RM1.3 Genie TT with Sumiko Pearl MM cart., Keces DAC, Cambridge Audio Azur 640c CD player
  • grimmace19
    grimmace19 Posts: 1,429
    Love the show so far. I was a very late adopter on Breaking Bad and didn't actually watch the series on Netflix until the last 3 or so episodes were airing to finish it off. The torture of the show is waiting week to week as opposed to the alternate route I took for breaking bad.
  • gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    Just PVR'd the Mike episode, best yet and if the series stays like that it will be a hit. One more episode on the PVR to get caught up, should be watching it tonight.
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    LOVE this show. I was skeptical they could catch lightning in a bottle twice, but Gilligan and Gould have done it again in my book. So stoked about seeing how this plays out!

And for those that aren't familiar with Bob Odenkirk, check out Mr. Show, an old HBO sketch comedy show from back in the day. He has definitely grown tremendously over the years.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • rtart
    rtart Posts: 832
    +1 on this show. I was a BB fan, and was not expecting this to be much more than a "ho-hum" spinoff. I was wrong. Definitely worth catching up on.
    My 7.4.4 DIY 4k Home Theater:
    Polk LSiM 707 L-C-R, LSiM702 side surrounds, LSiM 705 rears
    Polk LSiM 702s x 4 on the Ceiling Atmos speakers
    2 x SVS PB12/Plus 2's
    Denon X3700H
    Emotiva XPA11 Gen 3
    XBox One X 4k & BD and streaming
    Panasonic UB-420 4k player
    HD-A35 HD DVD
    Oppo BD-103D for hirez audio
    Technics SL-D2 TT, Grado Gold Cartridge
    JVC DLA-RS2000/NX7 projector
    Silver Ticket 120" acoustically transparent screen
    Berkline 090 electric recliners with Aura Bass Shakers
  • pjd2011
    pjd2011 Posts: 49
    Watched the latest episode the other night and was so excited for the next I ended up starting Breaking Bad all over again on Netflix. Huge, huge Vince Gilligan fan. His X-Files episodes are a treat too if you ever get the chance!
    Computer nerd diving head first into quality audio.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited March 2015
    Sad that only 10 shows makes a season in today's TV world. I enjoy it as a BB fan, but I might really be lost if I had no reference points to look for, since the writing style is so similar in both series. If a new viewer had never seen any BB at all, I wonder how comfortable they would be with the depth of the characters and odd elusive writing styles used. They are truly great at leaving the viewer hanging over, into, and through a few weeks ahead. 5 seasons of BB trained the viewer to wait and see how each dilemna resolves itself, and few series today require this type of attention span.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,182
    What channel?? Not on "On demand"?? not on netflix??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • jeremymarcinko
    AMC
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    What channel?? Not on "On demand"?? not on netflix??

It's just the first season of Better Call Saul, so if it's going to be available anywhere other than AMC, it probably won't be there for a while. They usually only show past seasons.

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Nightfall wrote: »
    It revolves around the Saul Goodman character from Breaking Bad (you know, 'sall good, man) and other characters have had an appearance on the show so far.

How did they keep that "'sall good, man" line unused all the way through Breaking Bad? In BB, he said, IIRC, that he had changed his name to one that "sounded more Jewish" so people would think he was a better lawyer with better business savvy.

Lovin' the show, so far!

• pjd2011
    pjd2011 Posts: 49
    Sad that only 10 shows makes a season in today's TV world. I enjoy it as a BB fan, but I might really be lost if I had no reference points to look for, since the writing style is so similar in both series. If a new viewer had never seen any BB at all, I wonder how comfortable they would be with the depth of the characters and odd elusive writing styles used. They are truly great at leaving the viewer hanging over, into, and through a few weeks ahead. 5 seasons of BB trained the viewer to wait and see how each dilemna resolves itself, and few series today require this type of attention span.

My parents still haven't made it through BB and they love the show so far. They're the only people I know who haven't gotten hooked on BB and binged!
    Computer nerd diving head first into quality audio.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,978
    Man, those Salamanca Brothers are some bad-a dudes, aren't they?
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,343
    You've stooped to necrothreading?
    Dude! You've fallin sooo far!!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,978
    Yeah, I like a little necro every once in a while. Why you gotta judge? You don't see me sayin' stuff about your Mrs. Doubtfire costume.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,343
    It's a sweet costume sonny!