Digital Turntable Tach For My Lenco Idler Drive

Options
SCompRacer
SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
edited March 2015 in DIY, Mods & Tweaks
I added a Phoenix Engineering RoadRunner digital tach to my Lenco turntable. Very well built, nice looking and compact.

roadrunner_lenco.jpg

roadrunner_lenco_2.jpg

Very simple install. One tiny magnet attaches to underside of platter, position the pickup to within ¼” of magnet, and plug it in. It comes with a wall wart PS. One can turn off the last two display digits so you just show tenths.

RoadRunner%20wall%20adapter%20big.jpg

Mfr site.

http://www.phoenix-engr.com/#!/page_products

LP Gear sells them. I bought it through LP Gear’s Amazon store for $225 as it was priced retail on their site. Phoenix also makes a power unit for up to 5 watt motors, cost is $369 at Amazon. Plug the RoadRunner tach into it and it they say it will control your turntable speed to plus/minus .005 RPM. They also make a 15 watt controller for my Lenco idler drive motor (which would smoke the 5 watt unit as it pulls 15 watts) and dual motor VPI’s, costs like $585 at Amazon.

I’m building a manual speed control for my Lenco for quite a bit less. While it won't be automatic speed control, the tach will make it easier for me to check/adj speed if needed compared to using my KAB strobe disc.

No affiliation, just happy with the product. They started up in March 2014. diyaudio thread.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/252742-digital-turntable-tachometer-dds-based-psu.html
Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

Comments

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Digits to the thousandths of an RPM? How stable is that last decimal place? I can see why a person would want the ability to only see it to the tenths.

Keep finding reasons to post pics of your Lenco, Rich--I love that build.
    And listening to it isn't too shabby, either. B)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2015
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Digits to the thousandths of an RPM? How stable is that last decimal place? I can see why a person would want the ability to only see it to the tenths.

Keep finding reasons to post pics of your Lenco, Rich--I love that build.
    And listening to it isn't too shabby, either. B)

The thousandths varies by a few digits. Definitely drive an anal person crazy....lol And you definitely don't want .666 to display or evil things can happen....

I just learned today I may become a beta tester for a 25 watt version of the Eagle. My timing sucks, having bought all the parts for the manual adjustable controller. The US Lenco motor pulls closer to 19 watts so the 15 watt Eagle gets hot. Wouldn't that be kewl, no more manual speed adjustments on a mechanical idler drive table. ;) Just plug the RoadRunner tach into the controller.

Jasper misses you.....c'mon over. Ever drop the KSL into the mix?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    Options
    I may do so tonight. It's been calling to me...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    . Definitely drive an anal person crazy....lol
    Nothing a little bit of electrical tape can't fix.
    Neat little device Rich.
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    I may do so tonight. It's been calling to me...

Kewl! Hope it still works..lol
    FTGV wrote: »
    . Definitely drive an anal person crazy....lol
    Nothing a little bit of electrical tape can't fix.
    Neat little device Rich.

Hey Fred! I can just take the bulbs out too, right? ;)

I made some progress today. Waiting for some digital Hz and AC volt displays.

lenco_controller.jpg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Nifty little device there Rich. Judging by the read out, your table is darn accurate. Wonder how many aren't ? If memory serves, I could have sworn I'd seen a table with a speedo built in. Then again, I also swear I see things I know aren't there.lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • agfrost
    Options
    Ever drop the KSL into the mix?

It's alive.... (evil laugh) It's alive!!!

Jay
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    BTW Rich, saw this on CL and thought of you.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/4895001148.html
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • SCompRacer
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Nifty little device there Rich. Judging by the read out, your table is darn accurate. Wonder how many aren't ? If memory serves, I could have sworn I'd seen a table with a speedo built in. Then again, I also swear I see things I know aren't there.lol

With the Lenco idler, linkage slop will determine how well the idler stays fixed in place. The idler runs against a tapered shaft on the motor that drives the platter which gives you your four speeds, 16, 33, 45 and 78. There are stops you adjust for each speed that lock the adjusting lever in place. If linkage is sloppy, it will drift.

Bearing clearance and oil used can also come into play. Seems like everything needs some warm up time to settle in. With auto speed control, electronics will keep speed constant.

Kewl! Interested to hear how it sounds in your system.

That be kewl to play with. Good luck getting a power supply for it. Krell does not supply them anymore. There was a fellow that had one without PS, he posted at Twisted Pear wondering if one of their power supplies could supply the 21 volts needed. He was asked how many mA the phono stage needed, and he never answered. If you underpower it with insufficient mA, it won't sound good and you could also burn up the PS.
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • agfrost
    Options

Kewl! Interested to hear how it sounds in your system.

I got the phono board set up but haven't listened to any vinyl yet. I've just listened to my The Hunter CD 1.5 times so far, but it's very nice.

That thing is a massive preamp! Both heavy and much deeper than either of my other choices.

That be kewl to play with. Good luck getting a power supply for it. Krell does not supply them anymore. There was a fellow that had one without PS, he posted at Twisted Pear wondering if one of their power supplies could supply the 21 volts needed. He was asked how many mA the phono stage needed, and he never answered. If you underpower it with insufficient mA, it won't sound good and you could also burn up the PS.

Funny, Tony--I texted Rich almost those exact same words about some ginormous Krell monoblocks on CL a week or two ago.

This one has to be a tough sell on CL--without the matching pre/power supply, it's unlikely to find a buyer, I'd think.

Wait, what was this thread about again? :p
    Jay
  • SCompRacer
    Options

I got the phono board set up but haven't listened to any vinyl yet. I've just listened to my The Hunter CD 1.5 times so far, but it's very nice.

I'd of played the vinyl version of that album first. ;)

Funny, Tony--I texted Rich almost those exact same words about some ginormous Krell monoblocks on CL a week or two ago.

Thought it looked familiar. Didn't you send me a link to some huge mono blocks too?

Wait, what was this thread about again? :p

I can fix that. I'm a beta tester for the newly created 25W Eagle PS. :smiley:

25w_eagle_beta.jpg
  • agfrost
    Options
    Cool. How do those betas sound? :p

I'd need to own the vinyl to play it! The vinyl threshold has been crossed, however--apparently I got the phono board adjusted OK as it sounds great.
    Jay